Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Solved seo needs changes, where can i make them?

More
8 years 10 months ago #1 by willtrd
hi guys,
thank you for the wonderful update. unfortunately for me i had made many changes to the previous seo settings due to the fact that the code creates many seo issues such as duplicate meta data etc....
in the latest release i forgot where those changes can be made & have found many issues.
1. menu items do not inherit the seo from the joomla backend (meta description, keywords etc...)
2. categories duplicate information in the keywords & description
-example description: "Forum Name - General Discussions (1/1) - Forum Name" AGAIN
-example keywords: "Categories, Forum Name, Category Name, Forum Name" AGAIN
3. topics also duplicate information in the keywords
-example description: "content from the forum topic" THIS IS GOOD
-example keywords: "Topic Name, Category Name, Forum Name, Forum Name" AGAIN

can you please tell me where i can make the appropriate changes in the kunena files so this information is resolved? number 1 is extremely important because it is causing duplicate meta information on every one of the forum menu item pages.
thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #2 by willtrd
please note, i have found the files & made some very important changes. hopefully this will help everyone including the Kunena team with their seo efforts. this is such a wonderful product & i am happy to help in regards.
i am including the complete code to the views.php file. i made the code changes so that the Kunena team may look at them to see what i did to alleviate duplicate information. this is for the latest version Kunena 4.0.0
also please note, this is simply to help & should not be relied on as i will not be responsible for anything done on any site. please make sure you understand the code changes before implementing any of them. for convenience i have made comments in the code for my changes so you may see what they do.
IMPORTANT - if someone on the Kunena team could implement an item name that represents the first/last post for each topic's page that would be much better than what i had to do which was simply add the page numbers before each description to alleviate duplicate page descriptions. if we had a variable name that represents the first or last post of each page we could simply use that in the topic descriptions instead of the first post of the entire topic,
Current Example: $this->topic->first_post_message
Preferred Example: $this->topic->page->first_post_message

lastly, i have not figured out the lack of meta data for the menu items so please reply with your findings on the matter so that i may fix those pages also. thanks
Code:
protected function _prepareDocument($type) { if ($type == 'default') { $this->headerText = JText::_('COM_KUNENA_MENU_LATEST_DESC'); $this->title = JText::_('COM_KUNENA_ALL_DISCUSSIONS'); $page = intval($this->state->get('list.start') / $this->state->get('list.limit')) + 1; $pages = intval(($this->total - 1) / $this->state->get('list.limit')) + 1; $title = JText::sprintf($this->topic->subject) . " ({$page}/{$pages})"; $this->setTitle($title); // TODO: use real keywords, too //removed board title because it was creating multiple nested keywords its the same as the getParent in most cases //$keywords = $this->escape("{$this->topic->subject}, {$this->category->name}, {$this->category->getParent()->name}, {$this->config->board_title}"); $keywords = $this->escape("{$this->topic->subject}, {$this->category->name}, {$this->category->getParent()->name}"); $this->setKeywords($keywords); // Create Meta Description form the content of the first message // better for search results display but NOT for search ranking! //this causes multiple pages to have duplicate descriptions if there are more than 1 page for this topic //$description = KunenaHtmlParser::stripBBCode($this->topic->first_post_message, 182); //added page number before the description otherwise it may be cut off by the amount of characters allowed in the description, EX:(1/2) description...... $description = KunenaHtmlParser::stripBBCode("({$page}/{$pages})". " ". $this->topic->first_post_message); $description = preg_replace('/\s+/', ' ', $description); // remove newlines $description = trim($description); // Remove trailing spaces and beginning if ($page) { $description .= " ({$page}/{$pages})"; //avoid the "duplicate meta description" error in google webmaster tools } $this->setDescription($description); } elseif ($type == 'create') { $this->title = JText::_('COM_KUNENA_POST_NEW_TOPIC'); $this->setTitle($this->title); // TODO: set keywords and description $keywords = $this->escape("new topic, forum topic, new post, create, {$this->category->getParent()->name}"); //keywords needed activating $this->setKeywords($keywords); //added description for create pages, note this will be duplicate for each new page but not a big deal as this is a canonical page $description = KunenaHtmlParser::stripBBCode("New Topic - Input your subject and message in the corresponding fields and submit or preview your content"); $description = preg_replace('/\s+/', ' ', $description); // remove newlines $description = trim($description); // Remove trailing spaces and beginning if ($page) { $description .= " ({$page}/{$pages})"; //avoid the "duplicate meta description" error in google webmaster tools } $this->setDescription($description); } elseif ($type == 'reply') { $this->title = JText::_('COM_KUNENA_POST_REPLY_TOPIC') . ' ' . $this->topic->subject; $this->setTitle($this->title); // TODO: set keywords and description //added keywords for reply pages so they are not using the joomla global config keywords $keywords = $this->escape("{$this->topic->subject}, {$this->category->name}, {$this->category->getParent()->name}"); $this->setKeywords($keywords); //added page number before the description otherwise it may be cut off by the amount of characters allowed in the description, EX:(1/2) description...... $description = KunenaHtmlParser::stripBBCode("{$this->topic->subject}. {$this->topic->last_post_message}"); $description = preg_replace('/\s+/', ' ', $description); // remove newlines $description = trim($description); // Remove trailing spaces and beginning if ($page) { $description .= " ({$page}/{$pages})"; //avoid the "duplicate meta description" error in google webmaster tools } $this->setDescription($description); } elseif ($type == 'edit') { $this->title = JText::_('COM_KUNENA_POST_EDIT') . ' ' . $this->topic->subject; $this->setTitle($this->title); // TODO: set keywords and description //added keywords for edit pages so they are not using the joomla global config keywords $keywords = $this->escape("{$this->topic->subject}, {$this->category->name}, {$this->category->getParent()->name}"); $this->setKeywords($keywords); //added page number before the description otherwise it may be cut off by the amount of characters allowed in the description, EX:(1/2) description...... $description = KunenaHtmlParser::stripBBCode("{$this->topic->subject}. {$this->topic->last_post_message}"); $description = preg_replace('/\s+/', ' ', $description); // remove newlines $description = trim($description); // Remove trailing spaces and beginning if ($page) { $description .= " ({$page}/{$pages})"; //avoid the "duplicate meta description" error in google webmaster tools } $this->setDescription($description); } }
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by 810.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sozzled

More
8 years 10 months ago #3 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Improved SEO for Kunena
There are some really good ideas in here. I don't think this topic really belongs in the "general questions" category any more. Perhaps the moderators might like to move this topic to the General user contributions category where it may be more easily found by others looking for similar ideas to improve Kunena and SEO. That's just a suggestion.

Warning: Spoiler!

Time to create page: 0.396 seconds