Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics must relate to a currently supported version of Kunena. If you are unsure what is the current supported version of Kunena, please go to the download page.

If you are having problems then, for your own benefit, it would save us all a lot of time if you would kindly post your configuration report when you ask for help from this forum. If you do not post your configuration report we will not ask you for it but you will probably not get your problem solved, either.

Question Always open links in a new tab

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #1 by crimle
I would like links always to be opened in a new tab. I have in mind that in a previous version of Kunena you could select the target, when adding a link. With the current Version this seems to be not possible any more. These links are always opened in the same tab. Which is very clumsy indeed.

I found an older thread in this forum, recommending this core hack
If using Crypsis, the file that needs to be edited (or overwritten) is components/com_kunena/template/crypsis/layouts/bbcode/url/default.php
Edit line 20. Change

$target = ' target="' . $this->escape($this->target) . '"';

to

$target = ' target="_blank"';

You could edit the file referred to above, but next time Kunena is updated it will be overwritten and you'll need to make the same edit again.
Unfortunately, this does not work for the current default Kunena template «aurelia». Line 20 looked exactly like cited above and I changed it exactly to what was recommended. But this causes my forum to be displayed in a complete mess.

I am convinced that this functionality must be implemented to the core in a future version of Kunena. But in the meantime how can I twist it?

Thank you and kind regards
Chris
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by rich. Reason: Message display error fixed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago #2 by Leen
Replied by Leen on topic Always open links in a new tab
Hello. if I just put the url in text box in the topic then open it with me in a new tab

L.v.d.A
Attachments:

More
1 year 5 months ago #3 by crimle
I upgraded from Joomla 3.10.11 to Joomla 4.2.3 these days.
Links in threads that were created BEFORE the update are opened in a NEW tab.
Links in threads that were created AFTER the update are opened in the SAME tab.
There seems to be no way to define the target of the links.

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #4 by LTCreations
@Leen and anybody looking for the same thing.
This answer mandates you know a little about coding, or, just follow closely.
In the message / post / topic where you wish to have the link open a new window, in the "Edit" mode for that text, click on the "Source" button in the editor. It's the very first button in all of the icons for the editor.
After you click on "Source", you'll see all the text and code that's used to create what you are editing.
Find the URL you wish to open in a new tab / window. It will look like:

[url=https://www.thedomainofthelink.com]the text you linked[/u]
Change that to:
[ url=https://www.thedomainofthelink.com target="_blank" ] the text you linked [/u]
(The editor here can't decide if "code" will work for a visual display of what you need)
Note:
[ = [
] = ]
So, you'll have [ which is ampersand hashtag 91 semi-colon, followed by url= and the url of the link.
Then you add target="_blank" and close that part with ] which is ampersand hashtag 93 semi-colon.
You won't need the bracket code where you will be editing the Source because the brackets are already there. You just need to insert the target="_blank" before the ending bracket of the url.

Notice: target="_blank"
That's what opens a new window / tab in HTML. You need to add that code after the URL and after adding a single space.

This is for the latest version of Kunena, 6.0.7 until Kunena developers open up the CKEditor (the default editor in Kunena) to have the function icon as an option. If not, you'll know how to make it work without the option in the editor.

YouTube.com/@SEO-Tom
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by LTCreations. Reason: coding error

More
1 year 3 months ago #5 by crimle
Thank you for this workaround. To be honest: I believe that very few forum users are willing to apply this cumbersome solution. It is not only IT-savvy people who use a forum. I don't understand why this is no longer a standard feature of Kunena. It used to be. For some unknown reason it was removed.

Time to create page: 0.523 seconds