Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics must relate to a currently supported version of Kunena. If you are unsure what is the current supported version of Kunena, please go to the download page.

If you are having problems then, for your own benefit, it would save us all a lot of time if you would kindly post your configuration report when you ask for help from this forum. If you do not post your configuration report we will not ask you for it but you will probably not get your problem solved, either.

Question Submit button not working properly

More
3 years 11 months ago #1 by btc
I'm currently preparing to migrate a website from one hosting company to another. I've been uploading copies of the production website on the old host to the new host to test things out and make adjustments. So far everything seems to be OK except for a serious issue with Kunena (which is an important part of the website).

After entering a message into the box and clicking on Submit, the page hangs - this continues for a few minutes until the server times out. However, the new message has been written to the database tables. If I refresh the page I see the success message at the top of the page, but the form for submitting the message is still displayed, with the text of the message still in it.

The same thing happens when writing a message using Kunena Discuss.

This doesn't happen on the production site, even though the content of the website is identical, the only differences are database name and login details etc. The new host is running PHP 7.3.17, the old host PHP 7.3.3.

I've tried changing browsers and I've tried changing Joomla templates - browsers make no difference, but there is one template where the message posting works normally - Protostar. However, the Protostar template doesn't suit my website - though if necessary I might be able to adapt it, though it would be non-trivial. I've tried Shape5 Vertex and Joomlart T3 Blank, but the problem occurs with them too. If I can't get Kunena to work, I'll have to abandon moving to the new hosting service.

Do you have any idea what might be the cause? Is there some way I can use the Console to trace the problem?

(PS the report below says

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: ✔ The collation of your table fields are correct

Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Enabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

This message contains confidential information
htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 60 seconds | Max execution memory: 256M | Max file upload: 256M

Kunena menu details:

Warning: Spoiler!

Joomla default template details : forte | author: Shape5.com | version: 1.0.3 | creationdate: October 31th, 2019

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle5 | author: Kunena Team | version: 1.5.3 | creationdate: 2020-03-31

Kunena template params:

Kunena version detailed: Kunena 5.1.16 | 2020-03-17 [ Pallene ]
| Kunena detailed configuration:

| Kunena integration settings:
| Joomla! detailed language files installed:

Third-party components: CommunityBuilder 2.4.2

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: Search - Kunena Search 5.1.1 | Content - Kunena Discuss 5.1.1

Modules: Kunena Latest 5.1.1 | Kunena Search 5.1.1

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #2 by btc
Another discovery:

Protostar + Blue Eagle 5 - works
Protostar + Crypsis - doesn't work

Strange!!

More
3 years 11 months ago #3 by rich
If errors occur after copying to another hosting, it is mostly the cache that causes them. If you copy a complete web page, it copies also the cache with the infos from the old address. Empty all caches, then try again.

More
3 years 11 months ago #4 by btc
Thanks Rich. I did clear the cache, but it was empty anyway. I used Akeeba Backup to move the website and Akeeba doesn't copy cache files anyway.

More
3 years 11 months ago #5 by rich
Let's summarize:
Blue Eagle works with all your Joomla templates
Crypsis works only with Protostar
1. It could be possible a file has been broken during the move and it helps if you install Kunena over it.
2. Possible is a conflictt between Crypsis and Shape5 Vertex as well Joomlart T3 Blank
3. Script or CSS compression causes an error
Do you have any CSS or script optimization tools on your page enabled? If yes, disable these and afterwards try to send a message.

Is there some way I can use the Console to trace the problem?

Choose Crypsis and the Shape or Blank template and open the console (tab network). Then click on Reply. Now check which scripts of the template running. Block the scripts one by one with the browser tool and every time try to submit a reply.
Try the same with the css files. Maybe you can find out which file cause a conflict.

More
3 years 11 months ago #6 by btc
Thanks, Rich.

Eventually even Protostar stopped working with either Kunena template - strange, as nothing else had changed.

However, thanks to your advice, I've now identified the script that's causing the problem, but I'm not sure where that leaves me because it's part of Advanced Modules Manager, which I regard as an essential tool.

If I block /media/advancedmodules/js/frontediting.min.js everything works fine.

There's another frontediting script, which is media/system/js/frontediting.js.

As I said before, this doesn't cause a problem on production website, which is hosted elsewhere.

More
3 years 11 months ago #7 by btc
I've installed Kunena on another website on the same new host and the problem doesn't arise there. It has the same version of Advanced Modules Manager (7.12.4). I downloaded the file from both websites and they're identical.

More
3 years 11 months ago #8 by rich
It can be many things which cause any errors. But a conflict can only occur with a module which running on the forum page. Maybe it's only a single module or the content of a module.
I've installed this module manager now (7.12.4), but also can't reproduce this problem (on my test page running PHP 7.3.17).
Try to disable the modules on the forum pages one by one). Disable also the top and jtouch-nav menu if there running over modules.

More
3 years 11 months ago #9 by btc
I've fixed it (I think!) by disabling the frontend module editing both in Advanced Modules Manager and in Global Configuration. They both control whether or not an edit icon appears when you float the cursor over the top RH corner of a module. Perhaps just enabling one or the other would have worked - I'll try that another day. That explains why there were two JS files with the same name - frontediting.js.

It doesn't explain why the issue only arises on the new host's server and not on the old host - it must be something to do with the server settings. Perhaps I should let Peter at Regular Labs know that there's a potential issue that he might be able to fix.

Thanks to you, I've learned something - which is how to use another bit of the developer tools on Firefox. It's a long learning curve, but I'm gradually picking up more skills.

More
3 years 10 months ago #10 by rich

It doesn't explain why the issue only arises on the new host's server and not on the old host - it must be something to do with the server settings.

Sometimes any errors drowses long time unnoticed in a web page and a small change in the web page like a server setting, update, move etc... can trigger it, that he is visible. The cause of such mysterious mistakes is mostly very difficult to find.

Time to create page: 0.640 seconds