Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics must relate to a currently supported version of Kunena. If you are unsure what is the current supported version of Kunena, please go to the download page.

If you are having problems then, for your own benefit, it would save us all a lot of time if you would kindly post your configuration report when you ask for help from this forum. If you do not post your configuration report we will not ask you for it but you will probably not get your problem solved, either.

Question Who is online - who are the guests?

More
4 years 11 months ago #1 by autobahn
We don't allow guests at all on our Kunena Forum (version 5.1.12.1), not even for viewing. If I switch on the display of Who is online I always get a guest count numbering over 100. Where does this number come from?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #2 by rich
All visitors of your Joomla site will be displayed.

More
4 years 11 months ago #3 by autobahn
I don't understand.
We don't allow Guest accounts on either the Joomla site or Kunena - members must be logged in to Joomla/Community Builder. The Kunena config is set so that Guests are not allowed to post nor are they allowed to reply or view existing posts.

Does this mean that anyone who just visits the frontend of the site counts as a Guest, along with bots and crawlers?
Thanks

More
4 years 11 months ago #4 by rich

Does this mean that anyone who just visits the frontend of the site counts as a Guest, along with bots and crawlers?

Yes, thats correct. You can test it with the Joomla Who's Online module, you get the same result.

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #5 by rich
Addition:
Guest, bots and crawlers see nothing from the Forum when it's allowed only for registered users.
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by rich.

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #6 by autobahn
Thanks for your clarification.
I think there might be a bug somewhere. Our Guests count went up to 322 and there were only 4 Members logged in. The Guest count increased or decreased by 3 or 4 every time I changed the page or refreshed the current page. Weird.

It's not a problem, as I just won't display the Who's online to the users.

Thank you for your time - I'm going to see if the same thing happens with the Joomla Who Is Online module.

Update:
I activated the Joomla Who Is on my test site on my localhost. I was logged in at the backend as a superuser then logged in the frontend with the same user. According to the Joomla Who Is there are 4 people logged in - I user and 3 guests. But there is only me, so the Guest figure is spurious.

When I logged out of the frontend and logged back in as an ordinary user the Guests count went up to 4. Something is evidently amiss.
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by autobahn.

More
4 years 11 months ago #7 by Slacker
This is affected by session time. Session time can be different in Kunena and Joomla it depends on your settings. In addition Joomla sessions can be PHP and database. Kunena has database sessions, but not PHP.

More
4 years 11 months ago #8 by autobahn
Thought it might be something to do with sessions and session timeout :dry:

I don't want to waste any more of anyone's time with this, interesting though the discussion may be. Is there a way in Kunena to just display the user names of actively logged in users and omit the 'Guests' figure completely (as appears to be the case with the Joomla module)?

I'm not going to worry about displaying the Who's Online figures because the incorrect Guest figure raises privacy concerns with our members and the explanation for them is way too technical!

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #9 by Slacker
Before Kunena I used phpBB3 and I had a forum section for only members. However members complained that guests seemed to be inside the forum section for members. I investigated it and if non-members tried to access this forum it seemed as if they were inside, but they were not but the trial was registered as they were inside.
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Slacker.

More
4 years 11 months ago #10 by rich

Is there a way in Kunena to just display the user names of actively logged in users and omit the 'Guests' figure completely (as appears to be the case with the Joomla module)?

I'm sorry, but you can only enable/disable this option in the configuration (tab Extra -> Show Who is Online = Yes or No)

We don't allow Guest accounts on either the Joomla site or Kunena - members must be logged in to Joomla/Community Builder.

My suggestion, if you use the Community Builder, then you have also the module CB Online. Disable in Kunena Who is Online and use the CB module. Set the advanced options to horizontal and place the module on the position kunena_bottom. You have many more options as with the Kunena or Joomla Who is Online display with this module.

Time to create page: 0.402 seconds