Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics must relate to a currently supported version of Kunena. If you are unsure what is the current supported version of Kunena, please go to the download page.

If you are having problems then, for your own benefit, it would save us all a lot of time if you would kindly post your configuration report when you ask for help from this forum. If you do not post your configuration report we will not ask you for it but you will probably not get your problem solved, either.

Question Disable Hits Recording for performance

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #1 by ianrispin
Hi,

I have just migrated from an old fireboard forum to Kunena.

In 2007/8 I made quite a few custom changes to the fireboard code to improve the website performance.

One of these was to disable hits counting.

The reason for this is very simple - having a hit counter means that for every forum page viewed the database has to be updated.

I reckon that my forum (and many others) get almost 1000 times as many views as there are new posts/replies created.

So having a hit counter increases the number of updates to the database by 1000 times.

If i get 10 new posts a day i only need update the forum database 10 times.

If i want to track registered users viewing posts to set "read" vs "unread" i may need to update database a few hundred times.

BUT If i record all hits by guests and robots etc and have 10,000 pageviews a day then i update the database 10,000 times.

I know I can hide the hits in the CSS

but is there a config option to NOT record hits for performance reasons?

if not could someone please let me know which code file contains the command to record hits in the database when a guest views a page - so I can comment it out.
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by ianrispin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #2 by Slacker
I use JotCache it cachees also Kunena forum posts thus making them faster for non-logged in viewers. This decreases the load on database, which almost always is the bottle neck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.416 seconds