Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics must relate to a currently supported version of Kunena. If you are unsure what is the current supported version of Kunena, please go to the download page.

If you are having problems then, for your own benefit, it would save us all a lot of time if you would kindly post your configuration report when you ask for help from this forum. If you do not post your configuration report we will not ask you for it but you will probably not get your problem solved, either.

Question Best SPAM and BOT strategy

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #1 by clippy3
Does anyone have any recommended strategies/extensions? I am happy with the system I use but wanted to ask in case anyone has a better or easier strategy?

stopforumspam - enabled
Captcha - enabled for first post (registered users)
Ratmil R-antispam (this catches a lot but has the occasional hiccup)

Nearly all my spam comes from "people" registering with 02.pl email addresses - does anyone know how to block email types?

Thanks all who helped!
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by clippy3.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #2 by Bigbunny
Replied by Bigbunny on topic Best SPAM and BOT strategy
You can block at your web host, if you are using the likes of cPanel, either specified IP addresses or even domains. I did it this way. There are also ways within Joomla I believe, and certainly some extensions to block. I also use the services like Akismet and other website anti spam that checks against a database before it allows registration or content. Not 100% but does have an affect. The extension has to have the ability to do that, and from memory Kunena does. You register on the relevant site and once approved your site is given it's own key to use. Like most of these you use a number of tools with each one reducing the level of spam. You will never get rid of all but you can reduce to a manageable level.

I also use the Siteground cross site scripting prevention extension that has helped to prevent a lot of issues and hacks. And of course as you mentioned; captcha. I still notice sites still using earlier versions of captcha that proved less effective as spammers and bots got more savvy.

One site is a small national voluntary club with paid membership we found that the extension handling the joining sent out a notification before checking that the money had been paid and the membership secretary informed. This allowed in that brief period for the spammer to achieve their task. Though this was corrected in a later version of the extension it is something you need to watch out for.

More
5 years 10 months ago #3 by makotosun
I have been using Cleantalk ( cleantalk.org/ ) on several Kunena forums and have almost ZERO spam issues. I get the occasional prospective member who emails me requesting assistance as they get caught in the filter, and those I just go to the Cleantalk site and whitelist their email.

The only other thing I have added is ReCaptcha which is effective for a new members first three posts. This combo seems to be totally effective. The cost is incredibly cheap for the effectiveness.

DISCLAIMER: I am not an employee of Cleantalk, and I do not receive any kickbacks, etc. for this post!

More
5 years 10 months ago #4 by 810

More
5 years 9 months ago #5 by clippy3
Replied by clippy3 on topic Best SPAM and BOT strategy
Thanks all - I have now made some of those additions to my site and it is working very well so far, I now have:

stopforumspam - enabled
Captcha - enabled for first post (registered users)
Ratmil R-antispam (installed to review post contents for spamminess rating)
Siteground's jhackguard component installed and running
User mail restriction app (recommended by 810) installed and blocking certain carriers such as 02.PL

More
1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #6 by brentwilliams
I had recently started with cleantalk because of komento, and that seemed to do well. So I implemented the overall site plugin (for joomla) and on first blush, it seems to be working very well. There are a TON of stopped attempts, so it's a bit hard to review them all to make sure there are no false positives. Reviewing the approved posts, I've seen a few slip through, but overall really happy with how this is turning out.
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by brentwilliams.

Time to create page: 0.378 seconds