Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics must relate to a currently supported version of Kunena. If you are unsure what is the current supported version of Kunena, please go to the download page.

If you are having problems then, for your own benefit, it would save us all a lot of time if you would kindly post your configuration report when you ask for help from this forum. If you do not post your configuration report we will not ask you for it but you will probably not get your problem solved, either.

Question Remove the "Subscribe to topic" check [SOLVED]

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #1 by Kotsolis
All of my users complain that it is very annoying the fact that they have to uncheck the "Subscription box" to each topic that they reply.

I have the latest Kunena version and in your settings, in the "Check Subscription box" ti says

Set to Yes if you want the post subscription box to be checked by default.

No matter what I choose there, "Yes" or "No. The result is the same. The subscription box is checked by default!

When are you going to fix this and in which version? So many versions have passed, still no fix. Also provide me a fix through code as my users complain that they get emails because they were careless to uncheck the box!
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Kotsolis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #2 by rich

No matter what I choose there, "Yes" or "No. The result is the same. The subscription box is checked by default!

The users should check in his profile the option for subscribe. "Profile -> Edit -> Foum Settings -> Select subscription as default"

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #3 by Kotsolis
The most complains come from new users that have just registered in the forum and claim that "they get spammed". Few of them will find this option.

So provide me a fix to make the box unchecked by default! Imagine that I have 40.000 registered users.
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Kotsolis.

More
6 years 9 months ago #4 by rich

The most complains come from new users that have just registered in the forum and claim that "they get spammed". Few of them will find this option.

This bug is fixed circa a year ago. New users get the same setting in his profile as in general setting. For already existing users you can change it in the database (see here my search results).
Existing subscriptions must unsubscribed after that.

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #5 by Kotsolis
There is a HUGE PROBLEM right now! As I have already said, my site has 45.000 registered users.

So I started a contest in which my users vote through a Forum. The contest has already 33 pages of forum posts! So hundreads of users have already voted!

Some of the old members:
- Do not know that when they reply to a forum topic, they have the checkbox "Subscribe" ticked by default.
- They also don't know that they have to uncheck "Profile -> Edit -> Foum Settings -> Select subscription as default".
- And the worst thing is that some of them open their mailbox, they see hundreads of emails from our site, so they have reported us to Yahoo and Hotmail right now, while Gmail has filtered us as spam!

This is the worst case scenario and you need to fix that immediatelly with a script!

We have 1.560 emails right now saying that we have been blocked us spammers, while it is not our fault! You clearly did not give much attention that in big sites like ours with thousands of users, many of them will ignore that tiny box below the reply which says "Subscribe" and they will think that we are just another spamming site! Just look at the picture.

This is a REAL mess! First I have to login with those guys accounts and unsubscribe from the big topics, and then ask from Yahoo, Hotmail and Gmail to unblock me which will take days! In the meantime, Iam blocked as spammer and I can't even send emails to our partners. Their IT Managers/Servers will already have our domain/IP in their blocklist too!

And all this because you decided to put auto subscribe several years ago.

Plus that I need days to clear all those emails and see which of them belong to the same email address (which auto subscribed) and which to emails that I have sent important business email (and didn't arrive).

This is how my whole weekend went through
1)Iam logging in with each one of the about 300 user accounts that have replied to the 33 page topic, I change their password, and I send them email one by one (a copy-paste email) to explain the issue and that they can change their password afterwards.
2)I change the "Select subscription as default" to "No" for each one of them.
3)I also go to the menu "Forum/My topics" and I delete all topics that they have subscribed until today so that the damn server stops sending emails.
4)Then I go to WHM and delete all the queue emails that are waiting to be send.
5)Then I go to Thunderbird and delete all the Mail delivery failed emails.
6)And when I finish with all those tasks I will have to find and unblock my site's domain from Hotmail and Yahoo, which I can't find how right now.

ONLY one thing for you:
Create a MySQL script now so that I can unsubscribe all of my users from the "Auto subscribe" option to save us from the mess!

No questions asked! I have 45.000 registered users and they keep loggin in and replying to the forum topic with the contest! Send me the script now! My site's reputation and my personal time is a MESS!
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Kotsolis.

More
6 years 4 months ago #6 by rich
You have not clicked the link in my message above? Then you would have already found the solution four months ago.
You don't need a script. If you want change it, you must do it in the database with this command. This command changes it at all users to "Default". (But create a database backup previously.)

Code:
UPDATE `yourprefix_kunena_users` SET `canSubscribe` = '-1'
There are 3 values.
-1 is default (uses the same as in the backend)
1 is Yes
0 is No

Subscriptions which already exists, you can remove with the batch option. Go in backend to Kunena -> Users and mark all users. Then remove the subscriptions.
www.kunena.org/forum/general-questions-a...m-admin-panel#196918

More
6 years 4 months ago #7 by Kotsolis
Great. You saved us once again.

And once final question: Is there an option so that I can block Subscription to specific topics?
That would help in those huge topics of over 40 pages of posts, which are spamming my users. Still, after that, some new users click "Subscribe" to topics and don't use the email address that they registered.

More
6 years 4 months ago #8 by rich
Unfortunately no. You can disable it only generally, whereby you can choose, whether you disable the category subscriptions, topic subscriptions or both. (Configuration -> tab Users)

Time to create page: 0.549 seconds