Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics must relate to a currently supported version of Kunena. If you are unsure what is the current supported version of Kunena, please go to the download page.

If you are having problems then, for your own benefit, it would save us all a lot of time if you would kindly post your configuration report when you ask for help from this forum. If you do not post your configuration report we will not ask you for it but you will probably not get your problem solved, either.

Solved Possible to have a private category only viewable and accessible to one user?

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #1 by diannalsantos
I am new to Kunena, so my apologies in advance. :) My site will be an online dog training service where there are three separate types of users: Students, Auditors and Watchers. Students will be posting homework and video submissions to the forum in a specific category for that individual user. Students and Auditors may both view and post in the class-specific forum whereas the Watchers can only view these posts.

Many Students prefer to have their homework and video submissions private - as in, only viewable to them and their instructor. The way the site and forum is configured right now, the closest I have been able to get is assigning the individual Student/user as a moderator for their individual HW and Video Submission category. However, even with this, other Students can still view these submissions, even if they cannot post replies to this category itself.

So the question is: is there a way to configure a forum category so that it is only viewable and accessible (posting replies, etc.) to one particular user and the instructor?

Thank you in advance for any guidance you can offer.

Here is the configuration for the forum right now:

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Disabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

This message contains confidential information
htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 120 seconds | Max execution memory: 768M | Max file upload: 128M

Kunena menu details:

Warning: Spoiler!

Joomla default template details : js_breezy | author: Joomlashack | version: 3.0.1 | creationdate: January 2017

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle5 | author: Kunena Team | version: 1.0.2 | creationdate: 2017-01-09

Kunena template params:

Kunena version detailed: Kunena 5.0.7 | 2017-03-31 [ Gayal ]
| Kunena detailed configuration:

| Kunena integration settings:
| Joomla! detailed language files installed:

Third-party components: None

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: None

Modules: None

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #2 by rich

Possible to have a private category only viewable and accessible to one user?

Yes, it's possible but you must create for this user a own user group ( see here ). In this way, you can solve all your problems.
Hint: Administrators and Global Moderators can see everything.
The following user(s) said Thank You: diannalsantos

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #3 by diannalsantos
Thank you very much. The only issue is I already have over 100 User Groups in use to provide the proper restrictions for the site. Luckily, these have all been integrated properly in the site and Kunena without a problem, but if I have to create a User Group for each individual Student, this could cause a problem...

Here is an image of the way the forum is set-up to give you a better idea of what I am looking for:

Ideally here is the set-up: Student X will enroll in a Class. They will receive access to that Class' general forum as well as the overall Video and HW Submission category. I will then create a sub-category for Student X where they may post their homework and video submissions. This will mean that Student Y and Student Z will NOT be able to view, post or reply to this sub-category, as they will have their own. Does that make sense?

If the only way of achieving this is by creating a new User Group for each individual Student, when there will hopefully be upwards of 20 Students in every session and there are 30+ Classes, then I may just have to go with what I have.

Thank you again for all of your help, I greatly appreciate it.

Dianna
Attachments:

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #4 by rich

Ideally here is the set-up: Student X will enroll in a Class. They will receive access to that Class' general forum as well as the overall Video and HW Submission category. I will then create a sub-category for Student X where they may post their homework and video submissions. This will mean that Student Y and Student Z will NOT be able to view, post or reply to this sub-category, as they will have their own. Does that make sense?

Yes, it makes sense but then you need a own user group for Student X.

Many Students prefer to have their homework and video submissions private - as in, only viewable to them and their instructor. The way the site and forum is configured right now, the closest I have been able to get is assigning the individual Student/user as a moderator for their individual HW and Video Submission category. However, even with this, other Students can still view these submissions, even if they cannot post replies to this category itself.

That gave me an idea. Are the constructors also different groups, or can they have access to all user videos?

Create a own user group named "hidden" and add nobody (or optional constructors).
Now create your categories as many as you need. As access for this category select the user group "hidden". Nobody except Admins and Global Moderators can see this categories now.
Now add the allowed users as Category Moderator. So you can select for each category the alowed users, and no other users can see it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: diannalsantos

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #5 by diannalsantos
You are brilliant! Thank you, that worked perfectly. I have been struggling with this for a month, so now I can stop pulling my hair out.
Thank you!

Dianna

Time to create page: 0.549 seconds