Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Solved Editing color scheme via CSS files.

More
11 years 8 months ago #1 by mitchell65
I have had great success editing the template color scheme to exactly match my sie color scheme. Very pleased with the result but it occurs to me that the CSS files that I have edited will be overwritten when the next Kunena update comes along. Will it just mean saving my existing CSS folder and installing them after an update or is there an easier way. Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #2 by coder4life
Yes they will be overwritten upon update. Yes you can save your current CSS folder and install them after the update, however remember that the original files may change as well to fix previous template issues.. You might have to potentially merge two sets of files.

I recommend creating a new CSS file in the folder called "override.css" and calling this within the template. Keep a copy of this file. Override the CSS styling by setting the values that are already set in the default CSS template files and/or add new rules.

More
11 years 8 months ago #3 by mitchell65
Thanks for your response. I am getting myself a bit confused here. I fully understand your post though when you say "I recommend creating a new CSS file in the folder called "override.css" and calling this etc", would that mean that when Kunena was updated that css file would not be over written but the new template would need to be edited by entering the "override.css" in it again.
Another way to do this is to edit the Joomla Template file to show the Kunena edited css! What do you think of this idea.
I use an edited version of the Joomla default template Beez_20 that I have renamed so that it doesn't get over written when Joomla is updated. Would it be possible to do the same with a Kunena Template?

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #4 by sozzled
It takes me less than 5 minutes to make all the customised changes that I want to the design of a Kunena forum and all my changes remain intact whether I subsequently upgrade Kunena once or a hundred times. Add your own CSS rules to the Joomla site template that you are using and you won't have anything to worry about. See the FAQs menu item above.

On the other hand, if you are clever (meaning you know a lot of Joomla trickery) you can do as coder4life suggested and get all "hi-tech". I don't have the patience for hi-tech. I just like to get the job done as effectively and easily as I possibly can. It's your choice: 5 minutes the quick and dirty way or an hour or so if you want "elegant". ;)
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by sozzled.

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #5 by mitchell65
"5 minutes the quick and dirty" sounds too good to be true but when you get to my age you'll try anything once :woohoo: :woohoo:
I have read the FAQ article. I have already made changes to the "kunena.default-min.css" file! Had no trouble identifying the elements I needed to edit but am lost at the point where the FAQ reads "you should make those changes to your Joomla site template" I can't find any fuller explanation as to the procedure to accomplish that. Is there some other doc I can read up please?
EDIT:
Please forget the above. With a little thought and a smattering of logic I have sorted this for myself. I have created my own "5 minutes the quick and dirty". :woohoo: :woohoo:
Just did as you said. Added my own CSS rules to, in this case the "personal.css" file in my Joomla template and success.
Thank you!x2
A grateful "Pom"
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by mitchell65.

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #6 by sozzled

mitchell65 wrote: I have already made changes to the "kunena.default-min.css" file!

Never ever directly edit this file! No ifs, buts or maybes. ;)

More
11 years 8 months ago #7 by mitchell65
OK Didn't realise that it was a big mistake. I will use my backup to set this file back to the original.

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #8 by sozzled

mitchell65 wrote: OK Didn't realise that it was a big mistake. I will use my backup to set this file back to the original.

Or re-install Kunena 2.0.0 or (when it is available) upgrade to K 2.0.1 and this file will be overwritten, anyway! ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: mitchell65

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #9 by mitchell65
Thanks but I have aleady re installed the original. All's well now
Thanks again

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #10 by mitchell65
Sorry to be a nuisance but I have just one more query. The editing one can achieve through the options in the Template Manager, are these choices over writen on upgrading? If so is it recommended to put css code into the Joomla template css file to avoid this?
It occurs to me that many users want to introduce their own color sheme into Kunena and if they are like me and struggle a bit to find the correct element title to a particular item is there a list of elements available. if not would it be an idea for us users to create one? Perhaps with screenshots showing the actual items referred to? Just a thought. I would be prepared to contribute to a list as I am in the process of doing just that for myself at the moment

Time to create page: 0.819 seconds