Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question Problem with URL aliases

More
11 years 9 months ago #1 by foesl
Hi, I have installed Kunena 2.0 on my testsite, but since the upgrade I have encountered some problems:

My Kunena menu structure looks like this:
- Forum (Kunena home page) (alias: forum) (linked to menu entry Index)
-- Index (Kunena category list) (alias: index)

In my main-menu I have created a alias to the kunena Forum entry. The link appears in my menu correct with /forum but when I click on it, it gets redirected to /forum/category/list (The same thing happens on your site: www.kunena.org/forum/ ) - Why does this happen? On Kunena 1.7 you could just link to /forum, now it is always /forum/category/index

Best Regards,
Michael

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #2 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Problem with URL aliases
Did you know that one of the wonderful new features in K 2.0.1 is that the configuration report actually shows the complete structure of your Kunena menu? Therefore, as often as we ask people to read the FAQs page or to read the Guide to posting questions when asking for support that appears on the forum Index page (and a copy of the posting guide is printed at the top of the page you are now reading) people still do not realise that they can save themselves days of waiting if they follow a few simple instructions about what information they can provide when the ask questions in the support categories.

Short answer to you question: these problems are caused by the way you have configured your Joomla menu and they can usually be solved (if you have a good understanding of how the Joomla menuing system works) in about 30 seconds.

For everyone else - which is about 99% of the people who use Joomla - the Joomla menu system is really hard! That's why, in Kunena, we've tried to make things easier by creating standard menu items for you. Without further information I cannot tell you what you may need to change to fix your problem but the easiest thing to do is trash (and delete) all menu items, from all menus, that refer to Kunena and rebuild them. There are other sticky topics in the K 2.0 General Questions category that show you how to rebuild your Kunena menu for K 2.0. Sometimes some of these menuing issues take a little longer than 30 seconds to solve but, after all is said and done, the solution ultimately lies in knowing how to effectively use Joomla Menu Manager. Easy enough to say (when you know how) but, when you don't ... well, there are always experienced professionals who make their business out of solving Joomla problems.

I hope this helps.
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by sozzled.

More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #3 by foesl
Replied by foesl on topic Problem with URL aliases
Hi, thank you for your answer. However, I think I have a pretty good understanding of the Joomla Menu System (being a developper myself) and the problems I have are not caused by misconfiguration, but by the way Kunena works. As I pointed out, the exact same problem appears on the Kunena website.

When you access www.kunena.org/forum/ you get redirected to www.kunena.org/forum/category/list but it really should only be www.kunena.org/forum/ (or as second best solution www.kunena.org/forum/index as this is your homepage). Ist there a way to fix this behaivor?

Kunena menu details:

Warning: Spoiler!

Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by foesl.

More
11 years 9 months ago #4 by Jiminimonka
Kunena menu works exactly the same as a Joomla menu, and you can use alias, external URL etc.

Your kunena menu details show 2 entries for Forum, I just checked one of my websites, and it has only one menu called Forum (see below):

Kunena menu details:

I would say there is something wrong with your Joomla/Kunena menu setup.

By the way, when I click on the Kunena.org website Forum menu, I get redirected to www.kunena.org/forum/index

Please read the FAQ.
Only one question per topic.
Search before you ask a question.

More
11 years 9 months ago #5 by foesl
I don't think there is a problem with my setup (again: exactly the same thing happens on kunena.org). And: The name of the menu is not relevant, only the alias is. I could have 100 menu entrys named forum as long as e alias is different. In my case I have two Forum entrys, because I don't show the kunena menu on non forum pages, so I have to include a link to the Forum in another menu (and it only has the Name forum, not the alias forum).

More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #6 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Problem with URL aliases
foesl: You're right.

There's an issue here.

The issue involves the Joomla menuing system and it involved Kunena.

There is an issue at this website www.kunena.org but I have not investigated its cause or a remedy for it. We'll look into this later.

When you click the menu items, the URL is fine. The issue seems to arise when you enter a URL (or click a hyperlink) that takes the form "http://<domain-name>/forum". Something seems to happen in the Joomla routing that then redirects this URL reference to something "else" ... although, whatever the redirection is, the outcome is actually a good one (even if the URL looks a little odd). I guess the important question is this: what's the penalty in having a URL that's appears a little "quaint" in the address bar of someone's browser? I mean, this happens all the time.
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by sozzled.

More
11 years 8 months ago #7 by foesl
It is not a big problem, however I just think it doesnt work right: I would prefer no redirection at all when you go to /forum (it just should display the contents of the menu item your forum homepage refers to), but if there has to be a redirection ir really should redirect to the URL your Forum-Homepage refers to. In my case this would be forum/index and not /forum/category/list.

More
11 years 8 months ago #8 by foesl
The problem also occurs in the breadcrumb pathway, as you can see above/below this thread: Forum Kunena 2.0 K 2.0 Support Problem with URL aliases. When you click on Forum it is the same behaivor. This did not happen with Kunena 1.7.

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #9 by Mike-XS
Replied by Mike-XS on topic Problem with URL aliases
Hi. The answers are in the source code.

When you choose menu item type -> homepage, the Kunena menu forum link goes to view=home ( no matter what other default menu item is selected ).

Example:

Kunena Forum » Home Page (Alias: forum)
Code:
index.php?option=com_kunena&view=home&defaultmenu=502

In the Kunena home controller, there's a hardcoded redirect to :
Code:
index.php?option=com_kunena&view=category&layout=list
Code:
// Find default menu item $default = $this->_getDefaultMenuItem($menu, $home); if (!$default || $default->id == $home->id) { // There is no default menu item, use category view instead $default = clone $menu->getItem ( KunenaRoute::getItemID("index.php?option=com_kunena&view=category&layout=list") ); if (KunenaRoute::getHome($default)->id != $home->id) $default = clone $home; $default->query['view'] = 'category'; $default->query['layout'] = 'list'; unset($default->query['defaultmenu']); }

This is why you'll get a 303 redirect to /forum/category/list if you try to access any url with view=home ( eg: /forum/ ) ..

The home view is empty and not used anymore in Kunena 2.0.1 :
Code:
\components\com_kunena\views\home\view.html.php
Code:
class KunenaViewHome extends KunenaView { function displayDefault($tpl = null) { echo " "; } }

In home default.php:
Code:
\components\com_kunena\views\home\tmpl\default.php

// This file is for Joomla! 1.5 compatibility

Maybe there's a fix planned in future versions to replace the default home view altogether and remove the forced redirect, or a workaround of some kind. Don't select the home page I guess if you don't want the redirect.. ?

--

And then, if in the Kunena menu I set the default menu item type for 'forum' to category list instead of home page, I get an error displaying the Kunena menu while loading a section or topic..
Code:
Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in \administrator\components\com_kunena\libraries\controller.php on line 109

Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by Mike-XS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sozzled

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #10 by Mike-XS
Replied by Mike-XS on topic Problem with URL aliases
I've been testing this for a while now today ( Joomla 2.5.6 / Kunena 2.0.1 ).

If the Kunena menu is set to forum, see my example images below, no redirect occurs when clicking on the /forum (root) link in the forum pagination menu.

--

With Joomla SEF / Kunena SEF urls enabled and default kunena menu item set to forum :

Pagination link = /forum.html
Code:
[Itemid] => 501 [option] => com_kunena [view] => category [defaultmenu] => [layout] => list

Kunena menu details:

Index link (kunena menu at the top of the forum) = /forum/index.html
Code:
[Itemid] => 502 [option] => com_kunena [view] => category [layout] => list [catid] => 0

If the Kunena menu is set to another default menu item such as index, then the redirect kicks in.

Kunena menu details:

That's all I know so far.. :silly:
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by Mike-XS.

Time to create page: 0.585 seconds