Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This category is for the plugin developed, endorsed, maintained and supported by the Kunena project team. The topics in this category only relate to the plugin developed for K 2.0.

[If you are having problems then, for your own benefit, it would save us all a lot of time if you would kindly post your configuration report when you ask for help from this forum. If you do not post your configuration report we will not ask you for it but you will probably not get your problem solved, either.

Question Notify article author on first comment

More
10 years 9 months ago #1 by mijalis
Is there any way to automatically notify the author of the article when the first comment is made?
I think that this should be a default feature/option, like most commenting systems.

Any easy hack for this?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #2 by sozzled
This is among the toughest questions for me to answer because, whichever way I answer it, I am going to be wrong in someone else's opinion.

Let me start by saying that I really dislike email notifications of things from places that I spend time visiting every day. I realise that I'm an unusual fellow because I "hang out" at www.kunena.org for 6 to 8 hours every day, and that's why I do not require email notification when someone writes a new message on the forum here (because I am always looking to see what's new), but I understand that there are other people in the world who don't get 200 email messages every day and they would not mind being notified of the event that someone made a comment on an article that they posted in a website somewhere in the world.

Except for those emails that are posted to site administrators and/or forum moderators, email notifications generated by Kunena occur when people subscribe to topics and categories. The simplest way to deal with this problem is for the author of the article to subscribe to the forum category where the article will be displayed for discussion purposes. That way authors of articles can decide, for themselves, whether they want to be notified by email when someone replies on the forum.

It may be the case with "other" commenting systems that this is a default feature. I make no comment on whether that kind of feature is either desirable or necessary. It's an easy "problem" to fix as far as Kunena is concerned: subscribe to the topic (after it's created) or subscribe to the forum category (or categories) where in which the discussion topic will be created. After receiving all the email that the subscriber "requires"' they can then unsubscribe themselves.

You can choose to disagree or agree as you like with my suggestion or, if you don't like Kunena Discuss then you can use something else for your article commenting system. As I stated at the outset, this is one of those questions where it's next-to-impossible to give an answer that pleases everyone.

I hope this helps.
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by sozzled.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.364 seconds