Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Solved Updating from 1.7 to 2.0.x : Good to go?

More
11 years 1 month ago #1 by Winuser
The last time I tried updating from 1.7 to the earliest 2.x.x builds, the installation completely killed the front-end at the most basic levels--meaning "white page" in the purest form. No page headers, even.

So, I restored the website and shelved the forum upgrade for a later day, when I would have more time to investigate the problem.

I'm now preparing to update the forum software again, and I see that we are presently at build 2.0.4. My question is, is there still a stable upgrade path from Kunena 1.7?

If so, are there known considerations I should be aware of? I'm sure the previous failures I encountered are not due to Kunena per se, but I first want to check that, in principle at least, I should be able to update the older 1.7 forum using known methods.

Please advise :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #2 by coder4life
Hello Winuser,

As to my knowledge you should be able to upgrade from 1.7.x to 2.0.4 with little issues. This is of course considering you have a plan Joomla 1.5 or Joomla 2.5 install with Kunena. As for the "white page" issue it could be an unresolved issue or something external from our control.

The best thing I can recommend is backup before preceding. I would also suggest exporting your site database and site files. From here I would important site database into a new table and move the site files into a new directory. You will need to modify your configuration.php file to reflect any database and directory path changes. You can also use an external backup and restore tool (e.g. Akeeba Backup and Akeeba Kickstarter) to help you automate this process. This will help you test your upgrade process without loosing any downtime of your production site.

We try to test our software as best as we can, but with limited time as volunteers for development, design, support, testing, team meetings, ect. we just cannot have strong tests for every use-case. We are more than happy to review the possibility of an undiagnosed issue.

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #3 by Winuser
Thank you for the confirmation to proceed! :)

The installation from 1.7 to 2.0.4 was fairly smooth. It turned out that I just needed to spend a little more time preparing for the new installation.

I first uninstalled all Kunena components, modules, and plugins. I also decided to remove all menu instances--just in case. Finally, I removed a third-party Kunena module, which I later confirmed was responsible for the aforementioned white page.

Having done that, the upgrade was successful and the only real work was updating the new settings. For example, it looks like the board permission switches changed a bit from 1.7.

Thanks again!
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by coder4life.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #4 by sozzled
This is very good news to read. this topic is a great example of the benefits of making preparations before performing any software upgrade.

For others who may be interested in the questions asked in msg #1 of this topic, please see K 2.0 Upgrade Guide .

Time to create page: 0.507 seconds