Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Solved K 1.7.2 → K 2.0.1 stalls (J! 2.5.6) - HTTP 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE)

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #1 by kiwi3685
My problem is similar, but not identical to kunena.org/forum/K-2-0-Installation-and-...-breaks-in-last-step , which doesn't seem to have a resolution yet.

My attempt to upgrade, fortunately only on a test site at this stage, stalls at "Database upgraded to version 2.0.1" as shown below. After a long wait, an error message appears and the whole site is unavailable.

I would really love to upgrade, so any suggestions where the problem might lie woulld be appreciated.

(ps I would love to provide the config report for this installation, but once the page shown here closes the site has locked me out. I will need to do a complete restore. I've done that twice now, and really don't want to do it many more times.)

[EDIT: this is the error message that eventually appears:

Attachments:
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by kiwi3685.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #2 by sozzled
Using Google, there may be a few suggestions that could assist you in this situation.

Perhaps one of these links may help:

Are you trying to install on a site where you have enabled Joomla SSL - in other words, using https:// instead of http:// ?
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by sozzled.

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #3 by kiwi3685
Thanks sozzled, That hasn't solved the problem, but looks like it might help point us in the right direction.
I switched to using Firefox, as those links all point to it being a Chrome issue.
That allowed me back into administration, where Kunena indicated an incomplete installation.
So I have re-run the install, and this time it got to the same point and actually as far as allowing me to click "Next". But now its failed again with this message:
The connection was reset
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Trying again just repeats the same error eventually.

Getting that far was very slow as well. So, should it be a slow process, and is it likely that as a result I need greater time for the next stage (whatever that is?) to run?
Our site is not what I would call a large one (some 5,000 posts in the DB), so I am surprised the upgrade is so slow.

[EDIT: - same problem in IE9. So it's not a browser issue.]

Are you trying to install on a site where you have enabled Joomla SSL - in other words, using https:// instead of http:// ?

No, the site is very simply configured, nothing at all unusual.
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by kiwi3685.

More
11 years 7 months ago #4 by sozzled
"Connection was reset" is a little tricky to resolve. Usually this points to some kind of timeout issue at the server end. What PHP setting do you have for max. execution time?

More
11 years 7 months ago #5 by kiwi3685
Yes, that's my thinking too. I've asked web host to increase it. Currently max_execution_time = 60.

More
11 years 7 months ago #6 by sozzled
60 seconds should be enough. I haven't got anything else useful to suggest in this regard. Suggest you search around on Google.

More
11 years 6 months ago #7 by kiwi3685
We're making no headway on this at all.

However, we can install a 2.0.1 as a completely fresh installation. Its only upgrading that fails.

Therefore, can someone tell me if its possible to transfer the data from the 1.7.2 tables to the empty 2.0.1 tables without too many complications?

I have read all the other posts related to this, but they don't help. This might be a much simpler case, as the users (in Joomla) will be identical, so all links should (I would have thought) be the same.

More
11 years 6 months ago #8 by sozzled

kiwi3685 wrote: Therefore, can someone tell me if its possible to transfer the data from the 1.7.2 tables to the empty 2.0.1 tables without too many complications?

No. The table structures are different.

You can, however, upgrade from K 1.7.2 (or any older version) to K 2.0.1 on one site and then move the resultant tables to the place where it will run. For example, you could copy your site from where it is now to a different webhost, perform the upgrade there, and move the updated site back again. Would this be feasible for you?

More
11 years 6 months ago #9 by kiwi3685
Sadly that's already been tried. There is just no way we can get the upgrade to work on the existing data. Clearly that suggests a data issue rather than a web host one, but still we cannot identify what the problem is.

Can someone explain in what way the tables are different?

If it helps, we use none of the "peripheral" features like thankyou's, karma etc. Its just users, posts and categories / subcategories.

Obviously there is code in Kunena for upgrading between the two table structures, can you point to where in the files those SQLs sit (to save a lot of hunting). Perhaps our coders can adapt it to work for us.

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #10 by sozzled

kiwi3685 wrote: Can someone explain in what way the tables are different?

Have you got a couple of hours?

Seriously, Kunena is open source. This means that all the software assets on your site are exposed for you to examine. K 2.0 is a total rewrite of some 150,000 lines of PHP code in K 1.5/1.6/1.7 and, as part of that code rewrite that has resulted in a more efficient and effective forum product, there have necessarily needed to have been structural changes to the data.

It's next-to-impossible in a community-driven, self-help forum context to handle complications arising with individual users. Considering that K 2.0 was two years in development, was subjected to fairly rigorous testing, has been downloaded over 75,000 times (since 5 Junue this yeat) and, presumably, many of those downloads were for upgrading existing Kunena installations, I think that the incidence of upgrade problems has been remarkably low. But this does not help you and I sympathise with the trouble that you are having.

The development team is currently engaged in preparing for the release of K 2.0.2 - it would be nice to be able to say that this should happen later this week - and so I'm not sure exactly what questions you're asking that you would like their responses to.

I'm sorry to hear this has happened to you. It's no comfort to hear that I (and my colleagues) have done around a thousand K x.x -> K 2.0 upgrades between us and we haven't encountered the problems you're having. :(
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by sozzled.

Time to create page: 0.415 seconds