Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

If you are having problems then, for your own benefit, it would save us all a lot of time if you would kindly post your configuration report when you ask for help from this forum. If you do not post your configuration report we will not ask you for it but you will probably not get your problem solved, either.

K 2.0 support will cease on 31 August 2013 and this section of the forum will be closed and archived after that time and no further questions will be answered about this version.

Question Pagination and indented topic view causes miscommunication

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #1 by hdwebpros
I have selected indented as the default layout. Perfect. But there is an issue I need help with:

1.) When someone replies to the a person who commented on a post, the reply go just underneath them and indented. Perfect. But, if that reply forces a second page, the comment goes on the second page, and it makes the conversation disconnected. Or, if there already was 2 pages, it still makes the conversation look disconnected. Here is a comedic example.

Steve:: For forums, I choose Kunena because they rock.
then on to another page. So, Joe want's to reply to Steve's comment so he write's
John:: You are totally right!
Unfortunate for John, there are 2 pages of replies, so his reply fell under
Jim:: Everyone is dumb.

Do you see where it would be weird? It would look like:
Jim:: Everyone is dumb.
John:: You are totally right!
When John meant to reply to Steve. What is your take on this and what would be a good workaround?

Thanks for the long read. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by hdwebpros.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #2 by hdwebpros
I edited this to one question. Don't know how to tackle this one though.

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #3 by sozzled
This is one of the toughest questions that I have seen on this, or any, forum. how to solve communication problems? When you find the answer to that question, please tell me! :laugh:

Good example of where, if you relied on the indented view, there could be some "interesting" miscommunication in trying to follow a long discussion in a forum. I don't have a good answer for this because I don't actually use this indented topic view myself. Maybe there is another member of the community, with more experience than me, who has a few tips? The best way that I suggest, where's there's the possibility of miscommunication, is to quote the reply. In the example you gave above, John's reply could have been (literally) what you see below:

Steve wrote:

For forums, I choose Kunena because they rock

You are totally right!
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by sozzled.

More
11 years 6 months ago #4 by marfisk
Is there a way to carry the parent with it to the second page? Or have a link back to the parent when this happens? Because yes, it can be disconcerting.

I have to say that overall we're enjoying this forum software though :).

More
11 years 5 months ago #5 by hdwebpros
The only other ways that I could think of that would work in this situation is either

1.) Force the reply to the page, no matter what, bumping everyone else down.
2.) If the comment/reply has to go an another page, automatically grab what the replied to content and insert it as a quote above the new comment/reply.

Both ideas are feasible from a coding standpoint, and for usability, I personally would prefer option 1.

I hope I have helped spark an idea to better your software. Yes, I agree, Kunena rocks!

More
11 years 5 months ago #6 by marfisk
Another possibility would be to have the thread display collapsed except for that subthread so it doesn't push off the page.

So:

Main topic Link
First Reply Link
Second Reply (open)
This is the strangest example every
Second Reply First Comment
Sure it is.
Second Reply Second Comment
I don't think so.
Third Reply Link

More
11 years 5 months ago #7 by marfisk
That would have worked better if my indentations stayed :P.

More
11 years 3 months ago #8 by hdwebpros
Is there a different medium where our suggestions can be taken seriously? This is a legitimate question, I wrote it as detailed and thoroughly as possible, and it shows a flaw in the setup of Kunena.

Time to create page: 0.561 seconds