Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Solved IP banning in Kunena

More
10 years 10 months ago #1 by jpfrancoeur
I have a brand new Joomla/Kunena site with JomSocial and a few other goodies. My site was previously using VBulletin, which I am glad to leave behind me.

Nonetheless, it was familiar, and this new CP is not.

First, as an admin, where do I go in my CP to do IP bans?

I have about 15 global mods that I would like to have the ability to IP ban members... Is there a setting where I can enable them to do this? Frankly, I'd like to set up a one step process by which if ANYONE is banned, that the first three sectors of their IP are automatically banned at the same time.

Thanks in advance for any answers. I'm glad to have found this resource! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #2 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic IP banning in Kunena
G'day, jpfrancoeur, and welcome to Kunena.

I will keep the answer short and simple. There is no IP banning in Kunena.

There may, however, be other extensions for Joomla that allow IP banning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpfrancoeur

More
10 years 10 months ago #3 by jpfrancoeur
Replied by jpfrancoeur on topic IP banning in Kunena
Thanks. Wow, really? No IP ban? That's disturbing. I had so many spam attackers on my last forum. The only way to really pull the weeds out by the root sometimes was to ban their IP. I notice that you use CAPTCHA on each individual post. I would like to try something like that myself, but my existing members would probably track me down and hang me by my own entrails! They're chewing me a new one right now because I haven't figured out how to set the forum up where the Quick Reply box is just sitting open at the bottom of each thread.

I can't seem to find WYSYWYG settings either. Some of the complication may be added to by the fact that I have JomSocial. It seems to supersede many of the functions previously performed by Kunena.

I have a steep learning curve ahead of me. I'm just glad to have found a place to get some support.

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #4 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic IP banning in Kunena
There must be countless thousands of references on the Internet debating the effectiveness of banning by IP; I do not intend to add another one here. :laugh: The current conventional wisdom is that banning by IP is one of the least effective ways to counter spam attacks, for the simple reason that spammers use spoof IP addresses to launch their assault.

WYSIWYG is a different subject and we have an entire topic devoted to it. Please remain on-topic when using this forum.

The subject of this topic is "IP banning in Kunena". There is no banning by IP in Kunena, but there are possibly other extensions that can do that.

Kunena allows you to ban users by their Joomla username.
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpfrancoeur

More
10 years 10 months ago #5 by jpfrancoeur
Thanks! That was very helpful.

Sorry for venturing off topic. Just pointing out that my very life is at stake. My forumites really own their forum!

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #6 by jpfrancoeur
In the interest of "staying on topic", I have started two separate threads on the various questions I have, but I don't see either one of them any more. We're they deleted for some reason?
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by sozzled. Reason: Subject change

More
10 years 10 months ago #7 by sozzled
We rarely, if ever, delete topics in this forum - topics are only deleted if they violate the terms of use (and your topics have not violated any terms of use). Sometimes people have difficulty locating where their topics are (because, in the interests of keeping like discussions together, we sometimes move things around) as >>> this <<< topic illustrates. :)

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #8 by jpfrancoeur
Ah, so perhaps they were just moved. If they are moved do they no longer show up in "my topics"? I had made two separate posts... one was about WYSIWYG. I posted it as a topic in this subforum. I figured it was probably answered elsewhere and deleted to reduce clutter or repetition.

I hate to repost the same question if I can't find it... I'm still sort of new to this new forum layout and working on a steep learning curve. Apologies if my newbiness is wearing you all out.
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by sozzled. Reason: Subject change

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #9 by sozzled
These questions are off-topic to "IP banning in Kunena".

jpfrancoeur wrote: Ah, so perhaps they were just moved.

Yes, your topics were moved and/or merged into other topics.

jpfrancoeur wrote: If they are moved do they no longer show up in "my topics"?

Yes, look at the My Topics menu item and you will see all the topics that you have contributed to. That is what I tried to explain in my last reply to you.

jpfrancoeur wrote: I had made two separate posts ...

... and a simple search of the forum would have shown you where do did this . Kunena has a wonderful ability to search for information. ;)

Your "newbiness" is not wearing us out however, this topic (which is supposed to be about "IP banning") is inappropriate for dealing with these off-topic matters. I think we should now close this topic and move onto other questions.
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by sozzled.

More
10 years 10 months ago #10 by jpfrancoeur

sozzled wrote: There must be countless thousands of references on the Internet debating the effectiveness of banning by IP; I do not intend to add another one here. :laugh: The current conventional wisdom is that banning by IP is one of the least effective ways to counter spam attacks, for the simple reason that spammers use spoof IP addresses to launch their assault.

WYSIWYG is a different subject and we have an entire topic devoted to it. Please remain on-topic when using this forum.

The subject of this topic is "IP banning in Kunena". There is no banning by IP in Kunena, but there are possibly other extensions that can do that.

Kunena allows you to ban users by their Joomla username.

Circling back to the original post, I noticed that you guys used CAPTCHA for the first several posts I made, but that it doesn't appear anymore. I personally don't like CAPTCHA cos I just started needing reading glasses, and I have trouble reading that stuff even with them on. I do however like this little module I found on a blog I really like:

I am assuming that it is not currently an option, but would it be hard for someone to create an extension like it?
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.423 seconds