Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Bug Custom category icons: *_notlogin.gif images not showing

More
11 years 2 months ago #1 by ClydeTACH
Hi,

I'm using the latest Kunena 2.0.4 and I've created custom category icons like mentioned in tutorials ([cat-id]_notlogin.gif,[cat-id]_on.gif, [cat-id]_off.gif) and put them in "media/kunena/category_images/" but the thing is that when people are not logged in, the image that is suppose to display ([cat-id]_notlogin.gif) is not.

It's actually the [cat-id]_off.gif that is displayed. Is there a setting in Kunena admin panel that I've missed?

I need a little help here please.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #2 by sozzled
Please check and, if necessary, double-check the information in Category icons .

Please provide the full paths of all <catID>_notlogin.gif images that are not being displayed on your forum. Which categories are not displaying these *_notlogin.gif images? All categories or just one or two of them?

ClydeTACH wrote:

Is there a setting in Kunena admin panel that I've missed?

There are no settings in the Kunena admin;/configuration that should affect this.

More
11 years 2 months ago #3 by TKtemp
Hi ClydeTACH,

don't waste your time, X_notlogin.gif image will never show.

This feature was removed from Kunena 2.0.0, you can use only X_on.gif and X_off.gif images.

So, you have not problem here, this is normal bahvior for K2.x.

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #4 by ClydeTACH
Huh... so that's weird. :huh: Kunena seems to become featureless and featureless through time. (No more off line category images, no private messaging system, etc.)

It's not that these features that are known and used on all types of forums pose security risks... very disappointing. Are these features planned to be back in future releases?

@sozzled All of the *_notlogin.gif are not displaying. All of the *_on.gif and *_off.gif are working OK. But like TKlemp said, it seems that the feature was sadly removed from Kunena 2.x.

Sigh! :(
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by ClydeTACH.

More
11 years 2 months ago #5 by sozzled
I do not understand what private messaging has to do with this topic. Kunena has never had its own PM system but has always supported the integration of a number of 3rd party PM products.

The news that, as from K 2.0 Kunena does not allow for customised offline category images came as a complete surprise to me! I am still trying to find out when this change happened and if there was a reason for removing the feature. Further, after I have established the facts, we also need to update the Wiki to reflect the current state-of-play.

It would seems, based on what TKtemp has written, that the ability to implement custom offline category icons was removed and this undoubtedly comes as a disappointment. What will also be a disappointment is that, given the Kunena team's current focus on K 3.0, this issue will probably not be resolved until the release (or after the release) of K 3.0. I have no more information than this at present.

More
11 years 2 months ago #6 by ClydeTACH
OK, Thanks for the infos.
As of now, I will wait and see if the off-line option comes back in versions 3.0.x (hope so :) )

And one quick question to end my topic... are you able to tell me if the future Kunena 3.0.x will be compatible with Joomla 2.5.x or just with Joomla 3.0.x ?

Thanks for your help.

More
11 years 2 months ago #7 by sozzled
K 3.0 will only be available for J! 2.5 and J! 3.0. Now that Joomla has removed support for J! 1.5 there will be no future versions of Kunena for J! 1.5.

I still do not have an answer from the team about why the *_notlogin.gif images do not work as category icons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ClydeTACH

More
11 years 2 months ago #8 by ClydeTACH
OK, thanks sozzled. :)

I'll wait for when you get an answer from the team. :)

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #9 by sozzled
According to the information I have received, there is an issue with category icons.

The *_notlogin.gif images do not work in K 2.0 (which is contrary to the information in the Wiki). The Wiki needs to be updated to reflect this issue. We currently have a problem with the Wiki in that we cannot update the Wiki at the moment. We're working to fix the issue in the Wiki.

In the meantime, if people are not logged in, they will see the _off.gif image instead. This image works (if you are not logged in).

I am told that the "offline" image may work for sub-categories. I do to know if this is proven.

Because sub-category icons work (as documented in the Wiki) but category icons do not work (as documented in the Wiki) we see this as a defect that will need to be looked at as we go forward with K 3.0. The matter has been reported on GitHub: github.com/Kunena/Kunena-2.0/issues/1408 . I cannot say if this problem will be fixed in K 2.0 but, from all accounts, it probably will not be fixed in K 2.0.

What this means is that you can use category images but only the _on.gif and _off.gif images for categories. If people are not logged in, they will see the _off.gif image instead of the _notlogin.gif image.

That's not a perfect solution, of course, but it should be acceptable in most cases.

This idea (using category icons) was originally an undocumented feature of Fireboard. When Fireboard became Kunena, the feature was carried over. At some point the ability to use the old Fireboard method seems to have been broken. We will be looking at what we can do going forward in K 3.0 to re-instate the functionality but I cannot promise anything at this time.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ClydeTACH

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #10 by sozzled
Further to my comments posted a couple of days ago, the formal response from the Kunena lead developer: github.com/Kunena/Kunena-2.0/issues/1408
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by sozzled.

Time to create page: 0.443 seconds