Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Solved Synchronizing Users & Joomla User Groups - 1.7.x vs 2.0.x

More
11 years 7 months ago #1 by GJSchaller
Under Kunena 1.7, when a user was added to a Joomla User Group, the change was not reflected in Kunena (such as permissions to view categories) until a Synchronize Users operation was run, or the system refreshed that user's Kunena profile and updated it.

Under 2.0, I noticed the language to update the user profiles no longer under the Synchronize Users tool - is a user's Kunena profile updated immediately when added to a Joomla user group? Is the need for a refresh or sync for the changes to be reflected in Kunena, or is this need gone in 2.0?

Thank you!

Geoffrey Schaller
Technical Officer
Knight Realms

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #2 by sozzled
Good question. As you know, we are using J! 2.5 at this website here and when a new user registers at the site - the registration is done by Joomla - their user profile seems to be created OK. Some of our categories are protected via Joomla user groups (mostly all those categories that were created before K 1.7) and some of them are protected by Joomla access levels.

I remember asking a similar question, offline, on this subject and, as I recall, the answer was that Kunena obtains the logged-in user's permission settings once (at user login) and this value is used during a user's current session. We do not often need to change users' permissions during a user's current session and, therefore, I cannot be sure about the answer to your question "is this need gone in K 2.0?" I would imagine that, if my suspicions are correct about how when Kunena checks a user's permissions, the user would need to logout and then login again or the session would have to be otherwise replenished with more up-to-date information.

As to what the Synchronize Users facility does, the options have changed since K 1.7 and there is no Clean user cache option. Perhaps, therefore, the "need" has gone?

This is a technical question beyond my ability as I am not intimate with all the security issues involved. Perhaps you might like to ask your question in one of our offline group chats?
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by sozzled.

More
11 years 7 months ago #3 by GJSchaller
I was hoping to document it here for other users as well... but I can see about getting in on a chat. :-)

Geoffrey Schaller
Technical Officer
Knight Realms

More
11 years 7 months ago #4 by GJSchaller
I did some testing, and it looks like you don't need to run the sync. As soon as someone is added to a group, the new board appears... they don't even need to log out and back in!

I'd originally posted more to get this documented as a point for 2.0 vs. 1.7, and it looks like I was able to do so!

Thank you!

Geoffrey Schaller
Technical Officer
Knight Realms

Time to create page: 0.369 seconds