Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

The error code HTTP 500 Internal Server Error is a general-purpose message this indicates a general error in a web application. Please note that there is no general solution for this general error. You should first read HTTP 500 Internal Server Error before posting in this category.

K 2.0 support will cease on 31 August 2013 and this section of the forum will be closed and archived after that time and no further questions will be answered about this version.

If you are having problems then, for your own benefit, it would save us all a lot of time if you would kindly post your configuration report when you ask for help from this forum. If you do not post your configuration report we will not ask you for it but you will probably not get your problem solved, either.

Question Kunena Discuss 2.0.2 crashes site when trying to save Joomla article

More
11 years 5 months ago #1 by N6REJ
after quite a bit of research and checking ( www.kunena.org/forum/178-Kunena-Discuss-...le-new-edit?start=10 ) I've discovered this 'fix' has re-emerged.
When saving an article I get

PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function
reorder() on a non-object in
/home/alterego/public_html/administrator/components/com_content/models/article.php
on line 508

I tried numerous things, but it wasn't until I disabled the discuss plugin that things started working...

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Legacy mode: Disabled | Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Enabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

This message contains confidential information
htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 120 seconds | Max execution memory: 128M | Max file upload: 64M

Kunena menu details:

Warning: Spoiler!

Joomla default template details : ja_kranos | author: JoomlArt.com | version: 2.5.0 | creationdate: Feb 2012

Kunena default template details : InfinityHU | author: PedroHSI | version: 1.6.0 | creationdate: 2010-07-21

Kunena version detailed: Kunena 2.0.2 | 2012-09-02 [ Botschafter ]
| Kunena detailed configuration:

| Kunena integration settings:
| Joomla! detailed language files installed:

Third-party components: Jomsocial 2.6.2

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: Content - Kunena Discuss 2.0.2 | JomSocial - My Kunena Forum Menu 2.0.2 | JomSocial - My Kunena Forum Posts 2.0.2 | JomSocial - Kunena Groups 2.0.2

Modules: Kunena Latest 2.0.2 | Kunena Stats 2.0.2 | Kunena Login 2.0.2 | Kunena Search 2.0.2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #2 by xillibit
Hello,

What do you mean by saving an article ?

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

More
11 years 5 months ago #3 by N6REJ
LOL.. just that... edit, save a simple article

More
11 years 5 months ago #4 by xillibit
This seems more an issue located in Joomla!, do you asked on joomla.org ?

More
11 years 5 months ago #5 by N6REJ
wow, are you even reading what is being written?
No disrespect intended but this has been pretty lame thread so far....
as clearly covered in the linked topic this is a known Kunena issue with Kunena Discussion. Simply disabling the plugin solves the issue.
but ofc that means u can't utilize the discussion feature.

More
11 years 5 months ago #6 by xillibit
Sorry, but i wasn't able to reproduce the issue on my local machine. Do you have access to testers category to get latest build ?

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #7 by N6REJ
not afaik.
and yeah, I understand, I have a feeling its only going to rear its ugly head under specific conditions.
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by N6REJ.

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #8 by sozzled
Let me state quite unambiguously, from the outset, that I do no know the answer to this problem.

Having disposed of that - my complete ignorance as the cause of this problem - I would like to address a couple of matters by way of moderating this discussion. I do not take sides but, in this case, I happen to agree with N6REJ (although not with his choice of the words "lame thread"), insofar as this input to this topic has been lacklustre.

A few points to note:

(1) The information cited in message #1 of this topic, dated over 12 months ago, in relation to an old, outdated and unsupported version of Kunena (or a Kunena add-on) should be treated with some caution. The error message that is occurring in this case

PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function
reorder() on a non-object in
/home/alterego/public_html/administrator/components/com_content/models/article.php
on line 508

seems similar to the case cited 12 months ago where the error message was

Fatal error: Call to a member function reorder() on a non-object in /home/nordicst/public_html/administrator/components/com_content/models/article.php on line 323

and so, in that respect, there is a connection between the two.

(2) We cannot reproduce the symptoms on this site (and it would be pointless in trying to do so) because this site currently uses K 2.0.3 (although this site is still using the same version of Kunena Discuss - KD 2.0.2 - that is involved in this topic).

(3) Xillibit was unable to reproduce your symptoms on his test site and I was unable to do the same, either. I do not doubt, for a moment, that you have a problem, nonetheless.

(4) Any plugin - Kunena Discuss is a content plugin - necessarily changes the behaviour of the component that it is used with. We are all aware of that. Therefore it makes perfectly reasonable sense that disabling the plugin means that the component is left "unfettered" and free to work normally. The evidence suggests that there is an incompatibility between KD 2.0.2 and your Joomla content component. What we need to deduce is what is the incompatibility and the conditions that generate a less-than-"elegant" HTTP 500 Internal Server Error . What we should not see is a HTTP 500 error simply by using KD 2.0.2; we should not see these kinds of errors under any circumstances, even if KD 2.0.2 was wrongly configured as the cause of the error.

(5) The cause of PHP errors that, in turn result in HTTP 500, lies in PHP itself and different versions of PHP may cause different situations. In the problem site, the condition appears with PHP 5.3.10; by way of comparison, this website at www.kunena.org uses PHP 5.3.18 and my own test sites use PHP 5.3.13. I mention these things a fact but not necessarily the only cause of the problem that we're discussing.

(5) As Sherlock Holmes has often been quoted:

It is a capital mistake to theorise before you have all the evidence. It biases the judgement.

and

How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

Therefore let us confine ourselves to what is known and what is unknown. We have what appears (from the configuration report) to be a fairly "standard" version Kunena installed, with the following non-standard modifications:
  • A unique, highly customised Kunena menu that may, or may not, meet the requirements prescribed for customised menus ; and
  • A third-party Kunena template that I know nothing about, that was developed for an outdated, unsupported version of Kunena.

(6) We cannot access the forum to see how (or whether if) Gravatars are used, Kunena avatars are used or JomSocial avatars are used; we do not know, for example, if forum access is controlled via JomSocial access control or Joomla access control. Perhaps you should look at your configuration report, see the section under "integration settings" and define those things that you want. Whether or not we need to access the forum on the problem website is not up for debate because the HTTP 500 errors are probably unrelated forum access at the time when you press the Save button when composing a Joomla article.

(7) We only have 50% of the information. As I mentioned earlier, it is not "nice" if programs cause these kinds of errors simply because of a configuration setting. It may, however, be useful to know what are the specific settings for the KD 2.0.2 plugin as you are using them now, and compare them against the ones we've talked about before (I will have to let you research the category K 2.0 Kunena Discuss (P) for that information, but I know we've talked about "standard" (or "recommended") settings in the past).

(8) Do you have any other content components (e.g. Docman, K2) or content plugins enabled?

(9) We cannot eliminate anything. In order to eliminate your webhosting platform the simplest test would be to use the when-all-else-fails-try-this approach. This means create a test site with a vanilla-flavoured J! 2.5.7 basis, no fancy add-ons, no third-party templates, nothing else and then install K 2.0.2 and then install KD 2.0.2. After doing this you should then conduct your testing of composing a Joomla article and trying to save it and see if you generate the exact same errors that you have been getting on your production site. I think the results of that test will be very interesting.

I hope some of this information helps and it helps improve the overall tone of topic that we've seen up to now.
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by sozzled.

More
11 years 5 months ago #9 by N6REJ
tnx sozzled as usual your very thorough.. there is a LOT covered here so I'm going to have to digest it piece by piece. Not quite sure why "non-standard" kunena menu as I"m 99.9% sure I've not changed it. And as for the template afaik its a standard 3rd party template from kunena shop but again, I'd need to check. One of the things I find strange is that this is was discovered during trying to figure out why articles were not saving due to mod-sec. This is an older site and has been touched by jupgrade though I thought we had cleaned everything out from that. I know now we didn't but I think we've finally got the assets table fixed.

The site template is badly in need of an update and we're in the process of doing so. Which is another thing that brought this to light. I'm not please with the JA template for reasons I won't go into here so I'm having to basically start from square one.
Jomsocial IS very actively used on this site. I'm debating wether to continue that or go back to CB but this time add GroupJive.

This shows the current config for KD.

Thanks for your help. I hope we get this figured out for all.
Attachments:

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #10 by sozzled
Your Kunena template (which may have nothing to do with your current problem, but could cause other problems on your site), according to your config. report, was designed for K 1.6.0. As we wrote many times in the release notes throughout the history of K 1.7 (and further in K 2.0), these old templates cause problems. Around the time of K 1.6.3 (may have been earlier - it is such a long time ago now, I don't remember the exact details) Kunena was changed and we know that these changes caused issues with templates designed for K 1.6.0. It's your website and if you believe that this is not causing a problem than that's OK, too. But I remind you of the words of Sherlock Holmes. ;)

Your menu is different and it evinces details that you have "customised" it to suit your own requirements. We recommend, when diagnosing and fixing errors, to start with a known stable environment. We have received numerous reports where people have tried to change their menu, they've reported problems, they've restored a standard menu and (surprise, surprise) their problems have disappeared. The Joomla menu system is, unfortunately for all of us, one of the most unfathomable mysteries that exists in the Joomlaverse. Again, it's your website and you know best but, remember the words of Sherlock Holmes.

My approach to dealing with many issues on the forum is not based on technical know-how or exclusive rocket-science known only to a few. It's based a lot of eliminating the most likely candidates. Ultimately, however, even after elimination of the most likely candidates, we may be left with a situation that certain problems only manifest themselves under specific circumstances that we have no ability to replicate in the test laboratory. This often comes down to the issue I have whimsically described as Which came first? The template or the forum?

I don't have any knowledge about JomSocial or how it works but, again, this may be a red-herring. Nonetheless, I suggest you review your Kunena plugins in the backend, and disable those options that you do not require.

As far as your Kunena Discuss plugin settings are concerned, compare and contrast those against what I displayed in Kunena Discuss "quick and dirty" instructions for use . I hasten to add that, if you discover that using the settings I described in that topic, if the HTTP 500 error goes away, then we have to investigate which setting(s) is/are responsible for the error condition.

I asked you about other content components/plugins that you may be using. We await your advice on those questions. The simple test, as I mentioned before is the "when-all-else-fails-try-this" approach which could save you a lot of time going down various avenues of investigate that may, ultimately, turn into blind alleys.

Back to basics, first. Then investigate to find the root cause.
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by sozzled.

Time to create page: 0.573 seconds