Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This category is for discussing issues with the K 2.0 Blue Eagle template.

As general background, My Joomla site template makes a mess of Kunena .

We do not answer questions about other templates for Kunena here.

If you are having problems then, for your own benefit, it would save us all a lot of time if you would kindly post your configuration report when you ask for help from this forum. If you do not post your configuration report we will not ask you for it but you will probably not get your problem solved, either.

Question Quick Reply box (at the bottom of the page) like they have in phpBB3 forums?

More
10 years 11 months ago #1 by jpfrancoeur
I have searched on this topic, but not finding what I was looking for.

Does a quick reply box that is open at the bottom of each thread exist or does it have to be some sort of custom add-on?

If it is an existing feature, could someone direct me to the place in the admin CP to activate it. If it is an add-on, I would most appreciate it if someone would provide a link.

Not that I am savvy enough to install it if that is the route I have to go. I will have someone else do it.

Thanks! :cheer:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #2 by jpfrancoeur
An additional question to add to this first one... In my old forum you could start typing something in the "quick reply" box, then realize that you want all the formatting options and hit the "go advanced" button, which would take everything you have typed up to that point and moves you into a full reply window with all the trimmings. Is that possible here?

I just noticed that in my current forum, after hitting the quick reply button and typing a long post that I later decided I wanted advanced posting tools, but there was no button to take me there. It may be an option but I don't know where to go in the CP to activate those features.

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #3 by sozzled
Again, this is an often asked question and (again) it may come as a disappointment that the K 2.0 Blue Eagle template doesn't have an easy-to-configure quick-reply-box-like-they-have-in-phpBB3-style-forums option. But this time I have some good news for you. There are other templates available from third-party developers that can deliver these kinds of features. I cannot speak for whether these third-party templates will necessarily work exactly the way you want them (and I don't know the details of how much they cost) but that's certainly an option.

Another option is to search the forum for topics written over the past few years where other people have also expressed an interest in the "Quick Reply At The Bottom Of The Page" idea.

But the short answer to your question is, no, there is no configuration setting in the standard Kunena installation that allows you to "enable" Quick Reply as you have enquired about :)

Speaking only for myself, I have used Quick Reply maybe as much as 20 times since I started using Kunena some 4½ years ago but, if this is something that you and your members really need, then I'm sure they won't object to donating a few dollars in order to have a Quick Reply box, always open at the bottom of the page, begging to be used.
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by sozzled.

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #4 by sozzled
As a very broad response to the second of your two messages - which arrived during the 20 minutes that I spent considering how to reply to your first question - I think it's important we put our cards on the table:

Kunena is not a "Joomlified" form of phpBB3 and neither should we think that just because some features exist in phpBB3 (but not in Kunena) that this relegates Kunena to second-class status. While it is true that Kunena does not embrace all the features that people may be accustomed to using in other forums, there are other features of Kunena that other forums do not have (and will never have).

People may forget that there is no company behind Kunena, that all this development work has been done without making money from the software and that the entire operation is done on a purely voluntary basis. While this is an undisputed fact, and while it is also true that the team is intent on delivering the best forum product that we can deliver, it is not the intention of the project to produce a clone of phpBB3 in terms of functionality, look and feel, or feature-set.

Again, speaking only for myself, I hardly ever use Quick Reply in preference to using the additional features that people have at their disposal when using the Reply tool. But, even if you use Quick Reply and realise subsequently that you you need improved functionality, there's always copy-and-paste or there is the Edit button. B)
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by sozzled.

More
10 years 11 months ago #5 by jpfrancoeur
Is there a "preview" button I can activate? SOmetimes it is helpful to be able to see how certain formatting shows up, or if your video goes up properly before hitting "submit".

More
Time to create page: 1.921 seconds