Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This category is for general discussion about the Kunena Project or this website.

Please use other categories for questions about problems that you may be having with your website.

Merged User Groups, User Group Privileges, ACLs

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #81 by Cerberus
Replied by Cerberus on topic Re:User Goup Privileges
you are really putting the kart before the horse with this one bethedance, how can they factor joomla ACL into kunena when the joomla ACL isnt even finalised? as smart as the kunena team are they can not predict the future.
The topic has been locked.
More
14 years 2 weeks ago - 14 years 2 weeks ago #82 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re:User Group Privileges
This topic is very closely associated with a couple of other discussions we've had recently and I've merged them together. Although ACLs have not formally been implemented in Joomla 1.5 and, with due respect to the users who've chosen non-Joomla forums, I don't know how granular security controls can be governed without something like ACLs, it is possible to permit or deny users access to Kunena forum categories. These mechanisms will be extended in the future to deliver the additional security that users have requested. I also believe that implementing the additional security should not be a major headache for users.

However, the biggest headaches and the biggest debates I've witnessed, from hundreds of discussions I've had with other users of web-based forums, can be summarised with this one simple question: Why are people obsessed with migration?

You see, if you eliminate the data that's supported on one software platform when moving to a different technology, you eliminate 99% of the problems. But that, of course, is oversimplifying the matter ... and it's just my opinion. :)

The Kunena development team also includes membership of the Joomla Leadership Team and several Joomla core developers. I think they've got a fairly good handle on the future of Joomla. ;)

K 1.6, currently in development, as I have mentioned elsewhere, aims to make Kunena "best-practice Joomla" as far as possible within the present time frame.
Last edit: 14 years 2 weeks ago by sozzled.
More
14 years 2 weeks ago #83 by BeTheDance
Replied by BeTheDance on topic Re:User Group Privileges
hmmm. Well, I'm not sure if my post came across with the right slant. Ideally, in the long run, AFTER I get my arms around using Kunena for an important related site to my current html/vB site/forum, I am definitely hoping to be able to 'migrate' from my vB 3.8 forum that has been around for 8 years to a Joomla/native forum solution and I'm currently putting my eggs in the Kunena basket as I feel quite let down by vB itself.

But, that's my longer-term goal.

Short term, like now, I'm finishing development of a related site, to which all of those users will be invited/imported (just the users, not the posts). I'm starting this new forum from scratch. My current members have an expectation of functionality and utility that they've grown to know and love. Over the years, I've cherry-picked the available functionality to meet my community's needs and it's served everyone well.

I'm not looking for an exact match of features/functions, but I need to get close to what we currently do for the simple reason that it works for us. On top of that, I'm looking for new features and functions to drive the adoption and use to the next level. I think the combination of Joomla, JomSocial and Kunena are the ticket (among some other key components for my particular requirements).

sozzled, I don't quite get you when you say if you eliminate the data when moving to a new platform, you eliminate the problems. Well, heck yeah, you do. :P But, that's not 'moving' is it? Isn't that just starting over? But even in my case right now of starting over, I'm still serving my same marketplace that has about 85% of the same issues and needs as my legacy forum.

Cerberus, to your point, I get you, but I'm assuming that since J1.6 Beta is due out 'any day now' (I'm just making that up--it's supposedly due out very soon--of course, I count software release expectations in reverse dog years), the Kunena dev's already have access to the J1.6 ACL schema and code and have already have a strategy for incorporating it. They seem pretty on top of things to me. Whoohoo.

I'm also assuming that the request for better user group management isn't going to make K1.6, but I'm just trying to make a case for the sooner the better and not waiting nor entirely relying on J1.6 ACL.
More
14 years 1 week ago #84 by Random_Sheep
Is it possible to restrict access to a certain thread or section of the a forum?
I would like to create a section for gaming clans to allow them to talk in private.

Please if this is possible, could you let me know.

Thanks
More
14 years 1 week ago #85 by Cerberus
currently no this is not possible in K1.5.11
More
14 years 1 week ago #86 by Random_Sheep
ok kewl - thanks mate!
Much appreciated

Any idea it it will become a feature as that would be a truely usefull tool to have!
More
14 years 1 week ago - 14 years 1 week ago #87 by sozzled
As I sometimes have to remind new members who post to this forum,
    The
Support category, where you posted your question, is intended to be used to address problems with the unmodified core Kunena software - not to ask how to change it or to discuss problems people might encounter with third-party software extensions - or to report defects that you are have found - not to ask questions about how to use the software normally or how to use Joomla normally. We give these support topics higher priority than other topics, particularly around the time when there is a new release of Kunena (as there was last week), in order to ensure that defects are not passed on to other users. I have merged this topic with a more appropriate one.We get many questions about of how to restrict categories of discussions to certain classes of users as this topic illustrates (and any quick search would also reveal). This has been answered several dozen times. Please read docs.kunena.com/index.php/Forum_Setup%2C...s_for_special_Groups . Everything that you need to know is contained in that tutorial.

No, it is not possible to password protect, or to restrict in any other way, a single thread. There is also no need to password protect a Kunena category, either. Access to your forum is based on Joomla user permissions. There is no intention, at this time, to restrict individual threads; only categories or sections can be restricted.

It is also not possible to segregate categories based on the classes of users that you have identified in your example - at least, not in Kunena 1.5. It is unlikely that this will be accomplished in K 1.6. The necessary security mechanisms don't natively exist in Joomla. You will need to wait until J! 1.6 or look into a third-party J! 1.5 extension.
Last edit: 14 years 1 week ago by sozzled.
More
14 years 1 week ago - 14 years 1 week ago #88 by Vlad the Impostor
I've searched on here so long (today) that my head is spinning. I haven't found what I'm looking for, but if I've just missed it, I apologise.

I've set up extra groups in Joomla (1.5.15) which aren't in the usual author/editor heirarchy. In fact they look like the picture in the attached file.

What I want is for everyone to have read access to all forums.
Registered users to also have write access to some forums, and print subscribers to have write access to all forums.

Can I do this in Kunena (1.5.11)?
Or, as I suspect, will I have to wait for Joomla and Kunena 1.6?

I'm also using Community Builder with the subscription plugin, but I can't see how that can restrict edit access to selected forums either :(

TIA
VtI
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 years 1 week ago by Vlad the Impostor.
More
14 years 1 week ago - 14 years 1 week ago #89 by Cerberus
J1.5.15 and K1.5x do not yet support ACLs ( access control lists ) and that is what you are going to need for what you are trying to do but in J1.6 and K2.0 ( long way off) ACLs will be added so that restrictions can be better added to who can see and access each catagory of the forum.
Last edit: 14 years 1 week ago by Cerberus.
More
14 years 1 week ago #90 by Vlad the Impostor
Yeah, it looked a bit like that. Oh well, I can live with it I s'pose.

D'you have a sense of how far off J1.6 K2.0 will be? It kinda sounds like they're involved. Heck, even I've seen the J1.6 alpha...
Time to create page: 0.647 seconds