Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This category is for general discussion about the Kunena Project or this website.

Please use other categories for questions about problems that you may be having with your website.

Question Expand Gender Identity

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #1 by dunkgreen
The group to which I belong is accepting of non-traditional gender identities (i.e. not just male or female). You may remember that Facebook recently changed their site to allow for quite a number options in this regard. I would like to request that Kunena follow their lead and allow for the adding of other gender identities. Failing that, I would like the option to turn gender off. Thank you.
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by dunkgreen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #2 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Expand Gender Identity
G'day, dunkgreen, and welcome to Kunena.

Thank you for a very interesting question. I understand why this may be important for you.

The use of the gender field in Kunena is relatively unimportant. It serves no purpose in affecting how the forum operates and is only used to represent whatever gender people wish to associate themselves with. Over the time that Kunena has existed (and in Fireboard before that), gender has three possible values: male, female and "unknown". You are correct in saying that people are restricted to these three choices. If they choose to identify themselves as male or female, they can select either of those or they can leave the original value unchanged.

I understand that you would like the choice extended to include other gender groups. This would not seem such a bad idea if we could all agree (as a community) what those other gender groups would be called. Because there has been no broad public discussion about that I think it's fair to say that the development team is not in a position to change the current arrangment at this time until we all agree about what extra options should be added.

It is possible to hide the gender, that is to say, regardless of what choice people may make when they change their profile details, you could make changes to your forum so that the information was not displayed to other members of your community.

Therefore, for the present, if you want to hide the gender from public display, you can do that fairly easily (although there is not a configuration option to do it at the moment). This can be done with CSS.

More
9 years 10 months ago #3 by 810
Replied by 810 on topic Expand Gender Identity
I have already created this.

github.com/Kunena/Kunena-Forum/pull/2453

I have added 2 more genders. trans and cis.
With an option in the backend to show them

Regards 810

More
9 years 10 months ago #4 by Shimei
Replied by Shimei on topic Expand Gender Identity
Thank you for making that an option. As it would be a conflict of conscience for some to display that by default.

Time to create page: 0.342 seconds