Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics contains old discussions (generally more than one year ago or based on circumstances that subsequently changed) or topics resolved in other ways. Topics moved into this category are closed from further discussion.

Question How many categories can I have?

More
13 years 1 month ago #1 by sugarat
My website is focused on discussing videos, and it's not enough to have a single topic per video, as there are many aspects to each video which could be discussed in detail. Therefore, it seems that I will need a category per video, allowing members to post new topics about the video.

Is there a limit to how many categories I can create in Kunena? I don't want my website to become popular only to find that I hit a brick wall with the forum software.

Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #2 by sozzled
How many categories can you manage? :dry:

There is a theoretical maximum number of categories constrained by the MySQL database schema. This limit is 4,294,967,295. This is also the same limitation on the number of messages that your forum can contain. If you think you can manage that number of categories, and you have the hardware and processing capacity to accommodate this quantity, then there should be no other (obvious) obstacles in your path.
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 1 month ago #3 by sugarat
That, I think I can cope with!

Excellent! Thanks!

More
13 years 1 month ago #4 by fxstein
Just a word of caution.

The practicality of such an approach end probably in the thousands of categories. The management and browse tools have not been made so you could easily manage hundreds of thousands of categories.

There are also performance implications, as the category data is treated very different from topics and messages.

The vast majority of websites has less than 50 categories, very very few ever exceed 100.

I would expect performance and management related issues once you get over 10,000 categories - but nobody has simply tried that before.

We love stars on the Joomla Extension Directory . :-)

More
13 years 1 month ago #5 by ChaosHead
One of my forums has 340 categories. Once I have by mistake sorted them alphabetically... It was required To me about an hour to change their sequence back.

More
13 years 1 month ago #6 by ae3d
Well i havent really found this one on the forums so ill ask it here.
I am helping someone migrate their site over to Joomla and id like them to be using KUNENA as their focal point of communication and forum discussions on the site
They tell me they are using PHPBB3
and that only allows for a MAXIMUM of 250'-something categories.
They need more than that... how many. i dont know but

A) What are the number of category limitations to Kunena?

And since i already stated it. Its my impression they are currently using PHPBB (previous to 3 ) to run things. So here comes my next question

Whats the latest on being able to IMPORT PHPBB information
(Posts, Users, Topics, Categories, etc) into Kunena?

i found a couple threads on this but they were for much older versions of Kunena :evil:
Id like him to be using Kunena 1.5.12

More
13 years 1 month ago #7 by sozzled

ae3d wrote: Well i havent really found this one on the forums so ill ask it here.

Did you look in this topic (that I have merged your question into)?

ae3d wrote: Id like him to be using Kunena 1.5.12

We do not recommend such an old version for new users of Kunena. There is no future in K 1.5. We strongly urge you to use K 1.6 (and K 1.6.3, at the moment, in particular).

I don't know the current situation about importing from phpBB, sorry.

Time to create page: 0.350 seconds