Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics contains old discussions (generally more than one year ago or based on circumstances that subsequently changed) or topics resolved in other ways. Topics moved into this category are closed from further discussion.

Question How to enter messages into Kunena from another forum

More
13 years 2 months ago #1 by trogladyte
I have redesigned a website for a client who already has a forum on a free web design site called Citymax. There appears to be no way to export the existing messages.

What's the easiest way to get the old messages into Kunena?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #2 by tbritton
If you can't get an export from City Max there is really no way to import them to Kunena other than cutting and pasting. Check with City Max and make sure you can't even get a csv (comma seperated values) export. You may be out of luck because a lot of these companies don't want you to be able to export your data because it keeps you with them.

More
13 years 2 months ago #3 by trogladyte
I'm pretty resigned to cutting and pasting. Can I do that in the backend? Or do I need to make dummy users and enter via the frontend?

More
13 years 2 months ago #4 by tbritton
I've never tried this, but I would think you would want the posts to look like they were from different users. In which you will have to create dummy users and do it from the frontend.

More
13 years 2 months ago #5 by sozzled
We have had many questions in the past about converting/migrating messages that were posted into these so-called free-hosted website, these "three-mouseclicks-and-you-have-a-discussion-forum websites." One of the bitter lessons that people eventually learn from these "free" packaged website solutions is that they're not totally free at all. These free solution providers don't offer their solutions for nothing; they derive their income from advertising. You need to look carefully at the Terms of Service conditions that are published on such sites (e.g. CityMax ). More often than not you will find that you do not own your forum data at all. In other words, everything that you posted on those packaged solution sites is owned by the company that hosts your forum.

Many of these companies are very reluctant to disclose details about how the data is stored, even to the point of not disclosing what kind of database software is used to store the data. Sometimes you might be lucky and the solution provider might give you some means of exporting your forum data in, say, a CSV file format. But the forum data is useless without the details of the users who created those forum messages. So, yes, they might be able to give you the form messages but, I would imagine, they might be less co-operative in giving up details about the users who have registered with their services.

This is something that you need to discuss with CityMax .

More
13 years 2 months ago #6 by trogladyte
Hi Sozzled, yeah I'm figuring this out. Unfortunately, the old website was set up by my clients 18 months back, and they recently came to me because they weren't getting the traffic they wanted. So now I'm stuck with migrating them over. Unfortunately, there's a bug in the latest Kunena whihc stops me entering them as a guest, so I'll either have to wait or make dummy accounts for everyone.

Life's not fair, get used to it! ~ Bill Gates :laugh:

More
13 years 2 months ago #7 by sozzled

trogladyte wrote: Unfortunately, there's a bug in the latest Kunena which stops me entering them as a guest

:blink: Would you like to explain what you mean by this remark, please?

More
13 years 2 months ago #8 by trogladyte

I am entering old posts from another board, and set guests being able to post.

When I navigat eto the board on the new site as a guest, there is a New Topic button, and it's clickable, giving me a blank topic to complete. I enter the information and there are 2 problems. There is no way to assign a name to the guest as the old board did. That's less of an issue though.

The second problem is much more of a worry. After completing the post, I click Submit and nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong please?

This is what I asked on another post (to keep things on topic - my bad last time!!). The answer I received to that was from xillibit...

This is a known issue with K1.6.2, it will be fixed with K1.6.3

Sorry I was a bit vague - I assumed it was widely known. Apologies!! :-)

More
13 years 2 months ago #9 by sozzled
Ah ... now I understand. I think I posted a solution to that problem on the forum. Let me know if you have problems finding the workaround.

More
13 years 2 months ago #10 by xristo
So let's say somebody does get a CSV file... is there a way to import that data into Kunena? Even if it's a jumbled mess??? I recently moved to Kunena from an old custom built forum and my users keep asking about posts in said "old forum". I was fortunate enough to get a well structured CSV files but now I don't know what to do with it.

Much appreciated

Time to create page: 0.386 seconds