Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics contains old discussions (generally more than one year ago or based on circumstances that subsequently changed) or topics resolved in other ways. Topics moved into this category are closed from further discussion.

Question What is the future for v1.5?

More
13 years 5 months ago #1 by doorknob
The release of v1.6 seems to have been a great success. Unfortunately, my current template locks me into MooTools 1.1. Migration to a new template is quite a major project for me and I don't plan to do it until Joomla 1.6 is in a stable release. If I commit to using Kunena 1.5 will there be any future maintenance, for example security updates?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #2 by sozzled
Welcome back to Kunena, doorknob. As you can see in the 10 months since you last posted here, there have been a lot of changes.

doorknob wrote: The release of v1.6 seems to have been a great success. Unfortunately, my current template locks me into MooTools 1.1. Migration to a new template is quite a major project for me and I don't plan to do it until Joomla 1.6 is in a stable release. If I commit to using Kunena 1.5 will there be any future maintenance, for example security updates?

Changing to a new template is a very straightforward task in Joomla 1.5. It actually takes longer to find a good template than it takes to install one. But, as long as you've got a good test site where you can experiment with different templates (and K 1.6) then the process is really easy. The actual installation of a new template is only a few seconds and, after that, you might have to spend as much as one hour making sure that your modules appear where you want them to appear.

All these problems can be easily worked through on a test site.

Mootools 1.1 is a dead issue. If you use it, you're stuck with it.

Joomla 1.6 is a whole new world. Many people will not be able to go to J! 1.6 because they're still stuck with old J! 1.0 products and antiquated extensions that rely on proprietary software libraries (like Mootools 1.1). J! 1.6 has been in the melting-pot for the past two years. When do people expect J! 1.6.0 stable will be ready? I mean, realistically! And what are people doing in the meantime? Watching, waiting, hoping, perhaps? :unsure:

There are three kinds of people in this world: those who make things happen; those who let things happen; and those who wonder what happened. It's up to each of us to decide what's best for us.

To answer you specific question, K 1.5 will remain available for people to download indefinitely. There will be no enhancements made to K 1.5. If serious security issues emerge then they will be addressed, either by a maintenance release or by issuing appropriate advice. It is unlikely that the level of engagement with K 1.5 will remain high and, eventually, the support plug will be pulled.

To obtain the best possible support and engagement from the community, we strongly encourage all users to upgrade to K 1.6 at the earliest possible convenience.

More
13 years 5 months ago #3 by doorknob
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

Changing to a new template is a very straightforward task in Joomla 1.5

If only it were as simple as that.
I'll look elsewhere.

More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #4 by MarkBoy81
May I recommend you to use Artisteer ?
I takes you an average of 15 minutes to build a full template exactly as you wish. :)
Those templates and Kunena integrate perfectly, been using both for some time now: if you can buy Artisteer then 95% of your job is already done. :)
Last edit: 13 years 5 months ago by MarkBoy81.

Time to create page: 0.380 seconds