Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics contains old discussions (generally more than one year ago or based on circumstances that subsequently changed) or topics resolved in other ways. Topics moved into this category are closed from further discussion.

Question Mailman comparison

More
13 years 5 months ago #1 by LGjoomla
Mailman comparison was created by LGjoomla
Hi -

We're building a new site which needs to have both Discussion Group and Mailing List functionality.

Has anyone done a comparison to see what features Kunena lacks that Mailman has and vice-versa?

If so, I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
LGJoomla

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #2 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Mailman comparison
G'day, LGjoomla, and welcome to Kunena.

Kunena is a web-based discussion forum extension of Joomla. Kunena is used for allowing users to discuss issues in a forum-like context: someone creates a topic and other people respond to that topic.

I'll apologise in advance for my bluntness when I say "What the heck is Mailman?" Is Mailman a web-based forum extension of Joomla? :S Can you help me understand what you know to be some features of Mailman and why you are considering it? Likewise, can you help me understand how you expect that Kunena will deliver the functionality you're looking at.
Last edit: 13 years 5 months ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 5 months ago #3 by LGjoomla
Replied by LGjoomla on topic Re: Mailman comparison
Hi -

From the features page:

"Mailman is a GNU Mailing List Manager. It manages electronic mail discussion and e-newsletter lists. Mailman is integrated with the web, making it easy for users to manage their accounts and for list owners to administer their lists. Mailman supports built-in archiving, automatic bounce processing, content filtering, digest delivery, spam filters..."

All features are here: www.gnu.org/software/mailman/features.html

My question is, if I want both online discussion forums and mail-list management, will Kunena do the job for both?

Thanks,
LGJoomla

More
13 years 5 months ago #4 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Mailman comparison
What do you really want? If you want a mail list manager then Mailman seems to be the thing you need. If you want a discussion forum then Kunena will probably do the job. From the sounds of things, Mailman won't do your discussion forum. Kunena can be used to push information out to your users by e-mail but this requires your users to subscribe to topics or categories.

Mailman does not look to be software that was written for Joomla. It looks like it's a standalone product. Kunena was developed for Joomla. It's most unlikely you could combine Kunena and Mailmain into a single website with a single user registration and login system. There are mail list managers developed for Joomla (search the Joomla Extensions Directory for those); it is outside the scope of this forum to go much further than what I have written. I hope these pointers will help you to decide how you want to proceed from here.

Time to create page: 0.363 seconds