Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics contains old discussions (generally more than one year ago or based on circumstances that subsequently changed) or topics resolved in other ways. Topics moved into this category are closed from further discussion.

Question How much PHP memory do you need to have for K 1.6?

More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #1 by sozzled
We've had many discussions about "how much memory you need in order to run Kunena" whether it is K 1.5 or K 1.6.

The answer depends on (a) what other Joomla extensions you have running on your website and (b) the overall size of your forum database. Some people say that you need at least 64M; that may or may not be true, I'm really not qualified to comment.

I have been running Kunena for about 18 months and my webhost allows me (and other users of the service) 32M memory. I haven't encountered any problems yet. If I encounter any problems I might have to look for another webhost (or put some pressure on my webhost to give me that little bit more).

If users are interested to know what Joomla extensions I am running they can find out for themselves by visiting a "demo" site that I run. I'm not going to advertise here the different products that I use. What other users choose to do is their own business.

These are, of course, only my own opinions. Other people are entitled to have different opinions. B)
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by sozzled. Reason: Changed subject to improve the relevance in searching

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #2 by woonydanny
Just to join in the conversation, I am currently running K1.5.10 on a VPS with 768MB i think or maybe 896mb) and my site struggles with queries to the server. Really quite slow at times (especially if I have over 40 members online at once).

To rectify this, am looking at upgrading to K1.6 when it is stable and also move hosts and have a server/mysql guru setup my new server environment

Hope this helps others, also feel free to suggest any other ideas

still wish that i can write my forum signature through a jomsocial plugin and do it from my jomsocial profile :(
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by woonydanny.

More
13 years 8 months ago #3 by sozzled
Perhaps I should have been clearer in the choice of my subject.

I am writing about how much memory people need to allocate to their php.ini configuration file. Many people cannot change this value (I am one of them). I didn't mean for us to discuss how much physical memory your server hardware should (or might) have.

More
13 years 8 months ago #4 by Matias
Just minor correction: database size (in Kunena) does not have any effect on memory usage.

More
13 years 8 months ago #5 by Cerberus
i would always recomment atleast 64mb of PHP memory for completely smooth and hassle free install BUT as sozzled stated in his first post it will run on 32mb as an absolute minimum, in turn the more memory you have the faster and more components you can run...

More
13 years 8 months ago #6 by Matias
In Zend server I've tried to run Kunena in empty Joomla installation with 8MB of memory -- and it worked just fine. But in it Kunena uses only 2-4MB of memory instead of 8-12MB ;)

So this setting really depends on environment -- both PHP and Joomla.

More
13 years 8 months ago #7 by woonydanny

sozzled wrote: Perhaps I should have been clearer in the choice of my subject.

I am writing about how much memory people need to allocate to their php.ini configuration file. Many people cannot change this value (I am one of them). I didn't mean for us to discuss how much physical memory your server hardware should (or might) have.

oops sorry seems I didnt read it properly. feel free to delete my post :)

still wish that i can write my forum signature through a jomsocial plugin and do it from my jomsocial profile :(

More
13 years 8 months ago #8 by franch
I've encoutered problems with 32 Mo of memory for PHP.
If one topic reach more than 300 pages, then i've got many error, site down.

More
13 years 8 months ago #9 by fxstein
It really depends on the site configurations and the amount of other components, modules and plugins installed. On a plain vanilla Joomla 1.5 install and not other components integrated, Kunena should run with as little as 16MB of php memory allocated. This can go up to over 32MB with large other components running.

Kunena itself does not any longer load entire threads into memory. That was an FB legacy we long let go.

We love stars on the Joomla Extension Directory . :-)

Time to create page: 0.494 seconds