Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics contains old discussions (generally more than one year ago or based on circumstances that subsequently changed) or topics resolved in other ways. Topics moved into this category are closed from further discussion.

Question I need help with setting forum permissions

More
13 years 9 months ago #1 by Michael15
Hallo everybody,
I hope you can help me.
I want to create two forums, one for my footballclub (forum a) and one for my tennis club (forum b). How can I set the permissions that my football colleges have only permissions for forum a and the tennis guys only for forum b.
Thank you for your help in advance

Michael15

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #2 by cally6008
Hi Michael :)

I've only been playing with Kunena for a day so I could be completely wrong with this info. I think you may have to set up two different forums and two different joomla websites although these could be on the same website .. ie, www.website.co.uk/football and www.website.co.uk/tennis . This should mean that the football users can register and post on their forum and the same with the tennis users.

I have noticed a few threads about multiple forums and running 2 forums from one website so have a nosy around and see if those threads are of any use to you.

Hope this helps :)

More
13 years 9 months ago #3 by Cerberus
To do what you want to do you would need two completely separate sites (joomla and kunena)

More
13 years 9 months ago #4 by cally6008
Cerberus wrote:

To do what you want to do you would need two completely separate sites (joomla and kunena)

Could they be run from the same website though .. I forget how joomla database gets set up but in theory could you rename the second database jtennis (for example) and install the files in a subdomain or different directory to the first one ?

More
13 years 9 months ago #5 by sozzled
Both of these are good answers.

I've been thinking about this question for the past half hour and the requirement may be more involved than when I first read it.

My first impression was "what do footballers and tennis players have in common?" Generally-speaking there is no commonality between these two sports or those who participate in them so it would seem reasonable, if not appropriate, for separate websites (each with its own home pages, articles, calendars of events and discussion forums) to be maintained for the two areas of interest. As I've occasionally mentioned before (the theory is well known as Occam's Razor ) keep it simple: the simple approach usually turns out to be the best solution.

However ... what if you were designing a website for a combined football and tennis club and you wanted to share common information (generated by other components) but restrict it to the club's members? In this case the suggested use of separate websites (or sub-domains, if you like) would present administration difficulties, and in this case, it may not seem unreasonable to address the need with a single domain, single entry point to the forum but to restrict users' forum participation to different categories based on their membership in the club.

Speaking personally, I don't see the need to impose security barricades within a discussion forum but, as it's not my club or website, what would I know. I would simply let users join in with whatever discussions they were interested in and leave it at that. Inappropriate use of the forum (e.g. a tennis player writing about their tennis interest in a football category) can be managed by forum moderators who can move topics to a more suitable "home". In other words, I don't see the need for a technical solution to an administration problem

But, getting back to the technical aspects of the question, Joomla 1.5 does not natively provide the granular security mechanisms needed to easily solve this problem. It isn't easy to do in Joomla (let alone in Kunena) at the moment and this is one of the major shortcomings of Joomla 1.5.

There are solutions (and Kunena can work with those solutions) but they involve the use of other third-party components to address security matters. If you browse the Joomla Extensions Directory , search for "access control", you may find what you're looking for. From my recollection, the last time I looked, there is nothing free-of-charge available at the present time.

More
13 years 9 months ago #6 by Michael15
Thank you for your help, it is not so easy as I thought. I will think about two different homepages.

Time to create page: 0.374 seconds