Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics contains old discussions (generally more than one year ago or based on circumstances that subsequently changed) or topics resolved in other ways. Topics moved into this category are closed from further discussion.

Merged [Merged topic] Multiple forums on one site?

More
13 years 11 months ago #1 by Mcloki
Hello,

I am fairly new to joomla and I was wondering if this forum or any other integrated forum software will allow me to have more than one forum on a joomla site?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #2 by sozzled
You can only have one instance - one installation - of Kunena on your Joomla website. You can classify, within that single instance of Kunena, different sections and categories. You can even allocate some sections and categories to different subsets of your users, if you want. I cannot see any benefit in having two different discussion boards (the same or different software) running concurrently on one site. It confuses your users.

More
13 years 11 months ago #3 by Herrie
I'm sorry to say, but I disagree with the argument that different forums would be confusing to users.

I will try to explain why, in my personal case.

I run my site, of which parts are build for:
- students of my school.
- students of a course group (Not part of school)
(It might also have been students for subject A and other students for subject B etc.)

Those groups (might) have their 'own' website (layout etc.)within the site itself.
If this layout is different from what they are used to, it might lead to confusion.
Besides that, students of 'subject A' are not interested in discussions in 'subject B'

So, is there a way to switch the SITE template according to the user group?

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #4 by sozzled
You can crack this nut with a nutcracker or with a sledgehammer:
  1. You can have one website, one Kunena forum, two categories, two types of users. You can restrict access to each category based on the user type. This is the nutcracker option. It means you can develop complementary information for the site in one place and the site can serve a multiplicity of purposes
  2. You can create two sties, one Kunena forum each site. Each site has its own registration/login procedure and you can thus limit access to materials based on who is allowed to register and use the site. Information that is common to both sites either has to be duplicated or held in one or other site with some bridge between the two. This is the sledgehammer option.
There is a third option: one site acts as a portal between two other sites, each site has it's own separate forum, user database, etc. and the portal contains the common information of the two subordinate sites. I've seen this option used quite successfully.

Bottom line: one Kunena instance per Joomla site. B)

If you want to have, say Kunena and Brand X software running concurrently, this may be possible as long as there are no conflicts between the two. For example, you cannot run Fireboard concurrently with Kunena because they share similar data structures but they operate on different software platforms and their interaction with one another will cause operational problems. In effect, Kunena clobbers Fireboard and vice versa.

From the user's point of view, running two different forums on one site may not present any problems (unless there are occasions when data is unexpected altered by unforeseen circumstances) but from a website management viewpoint this situation creates a time-bomb, trying to keep different forum software up-to-date and out of each other's way. Therefore, I suggest you stick to the one forum software and learn well how to manage it.

Perhaps, in these circumstances, Joomla is not a viable option and maybe you should consider free-standing forum products to crack this nut. :)
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 11 months ago #5 by Herrie
I managed to get my website layout matching to the user (using Group ID in a 'if,then,elsif,if)
Can this be done with the layout (colours) of the kunena forum too?

Take a look at
www.training.bedlamites.nl
login etest
pw elycio
>> forum

or
www.herle.bedlamites.nl
login herle
pw sufferd

I am interested in suggestions of 'where' to put the 'if' coding.

More
13 years 8 months ago #6 by de pauw
Hey,

We are running several sites within one Joomla install.
Is is possible to create a number of Forums, that run independently.
So website A has a forum for the visitors of A, website B for the visitors of B,....

Is this possible in one Kunena install? or do i have to make different Kunena installs?

Thanks for your input! ;)

More
13 years 8 months ago #7 by MAW_Trok
As I know you should use different installation on different database.

More
13 years 8 months ago #8 by de pauw
In my case, we are hosting the websites for 40 pharmacy's. Each one needs its own forum.

We need to work on one joomla installation because 95% of the content is the same for every pharmacy.
If you look on www.mijnapothekersadvies.be , you will see our network and the sites of the pharmacy's.

So, is Kunena a solution for us?

More
13 years 8 months ago #9 by Herrie
Het KAN wel....
Met enige 'extra's'

Ik draai kunena samen met CB
Daarnaast gebruik ik JUGA om geregistreerde gebruikers 'aparte' rechten per 'Juga' groep te geven.
Ik heb ook de 'Aankondigingen' uitgezet, omdat die voor IEDEREEN zichtbaar blijven.
Door gebruik te maken van de rechten van JUGA draait het forum, met 2 groepen op 1 (een) site.
Gebruikers van de 2* groepen 'zien' elkaars materiaal niet, ook elkaars forum niet.
Als je de rechten correct toekent....

Ik weet niet of het de 'simpelste' en / of de elegantste manier is, maar ik kan er in mijn omgeving mee uit de voeten.
Er komt, in september, nog een 'groep' bij

*= 1 groep en een groep met 2 subgroepen dus zijn het er feitelijk 3

Voordat ik dit eindelijk draaiend had, ben ik met stukjes en beetjes een jaartje verder... (Ik ben geen developer in Joomla, maar 'weet een beetje' van VBA programmeren af)

Bedenk eer gij begint....
Het Kan wel
The following user(s) said Thank You: de pauw

More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #10 by sozzled
Herrie: This is an English language-only category. Please write only in English here.

This topic is about creating the virtually impossible: how to have multiple independently-running instances of Kunena operating on the same Joomla installation (or, in other words, is it possible to install Kunena many times on the same website). Although Herrie's observations about JUGA are a little off-topic in that context, I really think his approach is the best and safest bet.

Rather than trying to create multiple instances of Kunena on the one Joomla site, a better option is to run one instance of Kunena with controls on who can interact within different sections of it. This approach is entirely feasible with ACLs and there are several third-party developers of ACL-related software in the Joomla space: Noix and JUGA are two examples.

In effect, that is what Herrie was saying and that approach to tackling the problem is the subject of [Merged topic] User Groups, User Group Privileges, ACLs .

This question here - how to have multiple independently-running instances of Kunena operating on the same Joomla installation - is probably never going to be successfully answered: I do not think that it's advisable (or possible) to try; if you could do it then it would be very complicated to set up; there are better alternatives.

And, finally, once you tackle the ACL issue, yes, Kunena is a perfectly reasonable forum solution for the purposes outlined in earlier postings to this topic.
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: de pauw

Time to create page: 0.396 seconds