Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics contains old discussions (generally more than one year ago or based on circumstances that subsequently changed) or topics resolved in other ways. Topics moved into this category are closed from further discussion.

Question Using Joomla, Kunena and aMember Together?

More
14 years 1 month ago #1 by webgyrl
Hello!

I have a potential client who wants to manage a membership site using Joomla and to integrate a forum where access to certain forums in dependent of Free, Silver, Gold or Membership levels.

Is this possible with Kunena? How would I do this?

Thanks!
Michelle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #2 by sozzled
G'day, webgyrl, and welcome to the forum.

We're often asked how to extend the basic set of Joomla user types (the basis of Joomla 1.5 security) in order to apply a finer levels of access control to different forums. This problem has been tackled in a number of ways, from using home-grown hacks of to the core Joomla 1.5 built to using different Joomla extensions that allow for the creation of ACL modifiers.

I am guessing that aMember is one of the latter-mentioned products. :unsure: I have no familiarity with it.

This is an age-old problem and it's not adequately addressed now, in K 1.5.x nor will it necessarily be either in Kunena 1.6. The release of Joomla 1.6 will provide the ground-breaking functionality that you seek, natively. Kunena 2.0 (that will come in the future) will build on those features.

In the meantime, what can I say? If aMember already extends the range of basic Joomla types - the basic types are Author, Editor, Publisher - then Kunena 1.5.9 may work for you (but I haven't tried this). You may find this topic offers you some useful background reading (or not): Restricted Forum User For Kunena 2.0

More
14 years 1 month ago #3 by webgyrl
G'day! Thanks for the super reply.

I am re-thinking using Joomla as the platform as the more I dig, the more complex it gets. Maybe because J! is really not natively set up to deal with paid content/forum/download type of structure it's not worth trying to shoestring something together. I have tried that in the past and it is an utter nightmare for maintenance and security.

I will have a poke at the docs you liked tho as Kunena might be useful for something else.

Cheers!

More
14 years 1 month ago #4 by sozzled
No problem. Feel free to browse the forums and the documentation Wiki for information on Kunena and appropriate (and inappropriate) ways that you might have in mind. B)

More
12 years 8 months ago #5 by unmortal
Replied by unmortal on topic Joomla, aMember & Kunena
I initially migrated a small board from PHPBB. After setting up J!1.6.1 with Kunena 1.6, I connected my aMember 3.2.4 members database to Joomla. Somehow all the user posts got mixed up (the names were different). I ended up using phpmyadmin to manually change the names (userid) back to the correct values. Thankfully the board was small.

So everything seems to be working now, users register through aMember, login to Joomla and are automatically logged into Kunena. My question is, will I run into the same problem down the road where userid's get shuffled again?

Also is anyone else running these three pieces of software together? A search didn't return much.

Thanks!

More
12 years 8 months ago #6 by sozzled
G'day, unmortal, and welcome to Kunena.

Please read K 1.6 Technical Requirements .

While I cannot say anything about aMember - I have no idea what this does, how it works, or whether it works with Joomla - I do have some advice regarding your choice of Joomla. Please do not use J! 1.6.1. I would even go as far as saying that it's a most unwise choice to use J! 1.6.1 for any website.

More
12 years 8 months ago #7 by unmortal
Thanks for the advise, I can't move to J!1.7 yet, how do you feel about 1.6.6?

More
12 years 8 months ago #8 by sozzled
I, personally, don't "feel" anything about J! 1.6 at all. If, however, you are asking whether J! 1.6.6 will work with K 1.6.5, the answer is yes.

Time to create page: 0.382 seconds