Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics contains old discussions (generally more than one year ago or based on circumstances that subsequently changed) or topics resolved in other ways. Topics moved into this category are closed from further discussion.

Question A beginner's introduction to Kunena, Joomla and the world of internet forums

More
14 years 3 weeks ago - 14 years 3 weeks ago #1 by XxVimsxX
Hello, i have a friend that has made a website from this... i have tried to get mine going from joomla, but for some reason i can't... is kunena a easier CMS then joomla? i dont know wut server to use? any ones that are good to use with kunena?... can someone plz help me get kunena started? plz... i am really wanting to make a website with this!... if there is a FULL video tutorial on this i would like to know PLZ. and i would like to know if i have to pay for a domain? or if i can use a sub domain? i also want to know if there is a special thing to use to setup the site? cause joomla did and it was pretty confusing.

Thnks,

Tom
Last edit: 14 years 3 weeks ago by sozzled. Reason: Changed subject to imrpove search relevance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago - 14 years 3 weeks ago #2 by sozzled
G'day, Tom, and thank you for using our forum.

I hope you don't mind that I've changed the topic subject to improve its relevance and to help other people who may also be looking for this kind of information. :)

Let's see if we can help you sort out your issues with you.

First of all, Kunena is a Joomla extension. Joomla , as you may know, is a web-based Content Management System [CMS]. You might like to think of it in these terms: the content is stored in a database and the interface is driven by HTTP ... the internet. There are other web-based CMS systems , like Wordpress and Drupal , that provide a range of services, from 'blogging to complete website development.

Kunena is forum software. There are also many other forum products available, many of them fully self-contained, like phpBB3 , vBulletin and PunBB . However, these other forums do not directly interface with Joomla without "bridging software".

Kunena is works natively with Joomla. There are also other Joomla extensions for web-based forums, like Agora and ccBoard .

Your solution depends on what you want to do.

If you only want a forum, and little else, then maybe one of the self-contained forums I've mentioned before would be better for you. There are advantages and disadvantages with this choice. The advantages are that you will have your website running fairly quickly, complete with user registration, profiling and the basic security features, but you will have trouble extending it beyond its basic feature set.

If, on the other hand, you want a feature-rich extensible website, then you should consider Joomla as a strategic choice. If you choose Joomla then you should definitely consider Kunena as the way to provide your forum. ;)

It's difficult for me to advise you on things like "how to buy your own domain" or "how to get started with Kunena" when I don't know what technical skills you may possess. There are many free (and relatively hassle-free) ways of claiming your own little piece of the 'net. Facebook is one of them.

But none of these is half the fun, nor anywhere near as extensible as your imagination will allow, as what you can do with Joomla. Kunena extends the fun and the enjoyment.

I hope you will seriously consider it.
Last edit: 14 years 3 weeks ago by sozzled.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #3 by XxVimsxX
Ok, that really doesnt answer my question....is there a server that is recommended to use with kunena? Is there a video that will tell me how to install it? cause there is no installer in the .zip file and i don't know how to get it started can u or someone help me plz?

Thnks,

Tom

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #4 by xillibit
Hello,

For choose a host this depends of your needs, but you can start by looking this page : docs.kunena.com/index.php/Advices_when_y...for_a_community_site

There aren't videos, there are only docs in few languages : docs.kunena.com

In the kunena archive you need to have .xml file, to be known from the joomla! installer.

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #5 by Admata
XxVimsxX wrote:

is there a server that is recommended to use with kunena? Is there a video that will tell me how to install it? cause there is no installer in the .zip file and i don't know how to get it started

Like sozzled explained Kunena is Joomla extension. That means you have to first install Content Management System Joomla. Kunena, like all Joomla extensions, are installed by Joomla installer.

Here is Absolute Beginners Guide to Joomla!

Here is Server requirements for Joomla

Here is Technical requirements for Kunena.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #6 by XxVimsxX
ok... i have installed the xxamp server and i cant get the apache to stay "on" (started). i dont know if it is in the program or if it in something on my pc. but can someone plz tell me how to fix that and i have gotten to the part where i choose a domain and local host in the joomla, but i cant get past step for. i dont know how to set it up.... plz someone help!

Thnks,

Tom

Time to create page: 0.381 seconds