Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics contains old discussions (generally more than one year ago or based on circumstances that subsequently changed) or topics resolved in other ways. Topics moved into this category are closed from further discussion.

Question Kunena vs phpbb3

More
14 years 1 month ago #1 by adminthptngochoi
everyone vote for kunena or phpbb3. And why?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #2 by freedomcoach
Replied by freedomcoach on topic Re: Kunena vs phpbb3
I've become committed to Kunena and feel a strong sense of creative development here with it. phpbbb3 may be very good and is of course a seasoned forum but i do not know if it is being supported and developed with the same degree of commitment and team as Kunena. I can't comment on the feature comparison but maybe someone here can.

Sincerely,
Howard

More
14 years 1 month ago #3 by Creatorffm
Replied by Creatorffm on topic Re: Kunena vs phpbb3
phpBB definitely has more features than Kunena, although Kunena has enough features!! If you are looking for full integration with Joomla and Ad-dons such as Jomsocial or CB than Kunena is the only way to go. I am working on a project with Joomla and Jomsocial and tried to efficiently integrate phpBB3 with less than satisfactory results. There are no real integrations that pull enough info from user profiles from phpBB3 into Joomla or from Joomla to phpBB3. Kunena on the other hand is fully integrated into Joomla and integration with Jomsocial or CB is a snap. If you know a little CSS it is very easy to adapt Kunena to your Joommla Template. Hope this helps.

Cheers
Dave

Dave "Creator" Marshall

More
14 years 1 month ago #4 by freedomcoach
Replied by freedomcoach on topic Re: Kunena vs phpbb3
Once K1.6 is available I'm sure it will also compete successfully with features too!

Sincerely,
Howard

More
14 years 1 month ago #5 by rinuccio sp
Replied by rinuccio sp on topic Re: Kunena vs phpbb3
undoubtedly
phpbb3 board is the most comprehensive free now

who does not have much practice with the bridge suffers a bit

I use Kunena, and I'm fine. A forum very nicely integrated with joomla
and the team works well

More
14 years 1 month ago #6 by Oscarfishlover
Replied by Oscarfishlover on topic Re:Kunena vs phpbb3
Whereas PHPBB has more features than Kunena [at the moment] it was only really designed to be a forum. Obviously some people have managed to integrate phpbb into their website but unless you know what you're doing I believe it is quite a lot of work to make things look like they belong together. Rocket Theme I think have come closest to actually integrating both Joomla and PHPBB so as to make them look part of the same package. However, it still not a straightforward installation and my experience using this was far from satisfactory. You've also got to be a member of both RT and their PHPBB to obtain the necessary templates.

The one thing I don't like about PHPBB is you do not have a lot of options when it came to SEO. If you make your site name too long then there's not enough space left for page headings which is really what this forum relies on when it comes to people searching on the Internet.

I like Kunena because your website name comes after your page headings.

The #1 Oscar Fish website on the net
Joomla! 2.5.14
Kunena 3.0.2

More
14 years 1 month ago #7 by darksoul
Replied by darksoul on topic Re:Kunena vs phpbb3
I integrated phpbb with Jfusion... The integration works well (only users id) and there is also an already modded template to use with joomla.
Phpbb is more efficient (low queries than kunena) and has more more features. (like access groups, what really need kunena)
I switched to kunena beacuse is more compatible with joomla and ohter components such CB or AUP.
The problem is that the profile are different.
And last, but important Kunena can use an Xmap plugin to have a grat SEO and also use SEF.
On the searchings my forum beat also a website where is used Vbullettin! (the forum i mean has same contents, "digital music")

More
14 years 1 month ago #8 by CheechDogg
Replied by CheechDogg on topic Re:Kunena vs phpbb3
Kunena is free, versatile and user friendly. Other forums have so many features that they sometimes confuse people. I like Kunena and I am not planning on using another forum anytime soon. The Dev Team is always on top of things, the community here is great and overall Kunena still has the sky as its limit. Way to go Kunena Dev Team, great work. :woohoo:

[img
Find me on Facebook.

CAG Clan 1st and 3rd Person Shooter Clan on XBOX 360 & PS3

More
14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #9 by Moonstone
Replied by Moonstone on topic Re:Kunena vs phpbb3
This is actually a great thread and might be helpful for former phpBB3 users who are considering Kunena.

The answer lies in what kind of website you plan to build.

There's no doubt that phpBB3 is a rock-solid workhorse. It's been around for a long time and has a large community. The forum is loaded with options, comes with a PM system, and has very sophisticated (bordering on complicated) permissions. If you're looking to build a website around a standalone forum, this is a very popular choice.

In fact, I've been a user of different versions of phpBB over the past several years. But when I built my newest Joomla website, I decided to give Kunena a try.

Why? The biggest reason is obvious, the integration.

When you build a Joomla website with a phpBB3 forum, if you want a singular login and visual integration, you have to put extra work into both of these areas. You'll need a login bridge such as Rokbridge or Jfusion. Whenever phpBB3 releases an update, you then either check to see if your bridge has also released an update or pray that it will still work correctly (because sometimes it won't). Then, if you want it to seamlessly blend into your website, you either start hacking headers or put the forum into an iframe wrapper. If you use the wrapper, you run into additional issues. Pages don't refresh correctly (you're taken back to the forum index). And clicking on external links in forum posts will get you stuck in the wrapper, unless you right-click to open in a new tab.

In contrast, when you install Kunena it uses your Joomla login. Set up a menu item, and it's visually integrated. Simple as that!

My latest site is a game guild website. My biggest concern was permissions. I needed three permissions tiers: General forums visible to prospective members, guild forums visible to guild members, and officers forums visible only to our officers. I left the prospective members as registered, set up my guild members as authors, and set up the officers as editors. Then set up the forums in Kunena to have access to the groups as needed. Worked just like I needed it to.

And when Joomla 1.6 finally arrives, I expect the permission options will only expand further as they extend from the Joomla backend into Kunena.

I still consider myself to be a new Kunena user, but, so far, I've been happy with it. It's come a long way since the days of Fireboard and is only getting better. There are some small features missing, like polls, but I understand that will be included in Kunena 1.6, which is on its way. The upcoming layout looks to be more streamlined and professional, with more customization options. A good thing is about to get even better.

As a Joomla user, I plan to stick with Kunena.
Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by Moonstone.

Time to create page: 0.519 seconds