Kunena 5.1.18 Released (30 Jun 2020)

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 5.1.18 [K 5.1.18] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 3.9.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 5.1 and issues discovered during the development stages of K 5.1.

× Topics contains old discussions (generally more than one year ago or based on circumstances that subsequently changed) or topics resolved in other ways. Topics moved into this category are closed from further discussion.

Question Enabling "anonymous" posts in a Kunena discussion

More
10 years 5 months ago #1 by kross76
I'm trying to figure out how to enable anonymous posts in a discussion. Somehow, this would involve registered users having an option to a) change their user name in a posting and b) have the capability of suppressing the link to open up their profile. It's not clear how I could do this. I would rather not have users enter anonymous names when they register. Any thoughts or ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #2 by sozzled
Let me see if I understand the issue. You only allow registered users the means to post to your forum, right? (I mean, you do not permit the "general public" having the ability to post to your forum).

For whatever reason, a topic is started by someone but your other members are too intimidated (perhaps) to reply or reply in a way that identifies them? Is that right? :S

I have to say, that's a strange forum. In my own case, I'm perfectly happy to stand behind everything I write. Perhaps I've missed something? If people (who may include your registered uses) want to post anonymously, you could allow allow public write to your forum. If your registered users want to benefit from other aspects of your site (that requires them to log-in) they can login.
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by sozzled.

More
10 years 5 months ago #3 by kross76
It's not that simple. Our discussion board involves business executives. We vet / validate the people that register are qualified. However, they may, for obvious reasons, want to post a subject (question) anonymously. Example "I need to fire my VP of Marketing. How do I do it"? We have an operational web site, but I am planning to move to Joomla and have been impressed with the Kunena form features. This is my first try at asking a question. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

More
10 years 5 months ago #4 by sozzled
OK, I understand.

BTW, when I said I was happy to stand behind everything I write, I'm quite happy to do that when I sign myself "sozzled" ;)

Obviously if you're dealing with a private forum, you don't want the general public even being aware of what is being discussed. In particularly sensitive cases, a broad-spectrum discussion forum may also not be entirely appropriate, either.

If the discussion board is purely for the executives of one organisation, you can quarantine the site by using intranet/fire-walling.

Getting back to your particular situation - how do you provide the means for someone to anonymously but cadidly ask "I need to fire my VP of Marketing: how do I do it?" - let's return to the real world. How are these situations approached today by more traditional methods? They're normally dealt with face-to-face, one-on-one, by internal office memorandum or telephone. Would an internet-based discussion forum provide a useful adjunct to those procedures? I don't know. :dry:

It's difficult to advise you without knowledge of your site's goals. If your site stresses the need to vet user registrations, then that's what you do. If, subsequently, you say "to hell with that, let's allow people to contribute any way they like," that's OK too. But doesn't one seem to contradict the other, especially if people think that there are other members who are potentially playing the "hidden agenda" game? :unsure: Why, for instance, couldn't a "sozzled" join your website? (Well, I, for one, would be a bit miffed! :laugh:)

It's a good question. There's probably a technical solution. Would I advise you to use a technical solution? That's an entirely different subject. ;)

More
10 years 5 months ago #5 by kross76
We definitely need a technical / configuration solution.

While I have you engaged, I have a different but related question, and perhaps you can give me some input. Remember, I'm a really new user here. I see that the Kunena forum also has JomSocial which expands the user-related information available. We also need to expand the user related information in a small way. We really don't need a full social network with friends, etc., though.

a) do many sites that have Kunena also use Jomsocial? Are there downsides? Does it add too much complexity?

b) do you know of any other simple extensions that can expand the information we can store for a user -- and which he can enter at registration time?

More
10 years 5 months ago #6 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re:Enabling
kross76 wrote:

We definitely need a technical / configuration solution.

:laugh: Ah, before we can do that we need to understand a lot more about the problem. People beg for a technical solution and, when it's forthcoming, they're rarely happy with it.

So, let me understand the situation we're faced with. You have a user (let's call him Mao Zedong who is the Chairman of the Board for a medium-sized off-shore political advocacy group). This person is invited to join your website and so, he sign up, accepts the Code of Conduct and submits his application for membership. You decide that he's a good risk so you provide him with an account. Let's assume that he chooses the username "PekingDuck". So far so good?

Now this is the part I'm not sure about. You want this person to be able to contribute in some kind of authoritative way in your forum. Have I got that right? Rather than have his messages signed "PekingDuck" you want your readers to appreciate the thoughts of Chairman Mao as written by the man himself. Is that correct?

But, occasionally, perhaps, Chairman Mao faces a "cultural revolution" situation in the forum and would rather not like his identity revealed. In these situations he would rather disguise himself behind his PekingDuck façade. Have I roughly summed up the situation. It's important to know what we're dealing with before I give you a technically definitive response.

In terms of your secondary question, I wrote briefly about some of those issues yesterday: see Kunena and Jooma . If you want to know what people think of the range of community management extensions available, you should browse the Joomla Extensions Directory and read the user testimonials. This discussion board is primarily focused on how to make those extensions work with Kunena, not to provide opinions, criticisms or complaints about them. It's a good policy, in my opinion.

At the moment we're still discussing things hypothetically and I would feel more comfortable moving this to a different category. "General Talk about Kunena"

More
10 years 5 months ago #7 by kross76
Replied by kross76 on topic Re:Enabling
All of your assumptions are 100% correct. The "Optimal" solution would be to allow users to be identified or be anonymous selectively by discussion. A workable solution would be for them to do it globally (user by user).

BTW, I'm not sure of the protocol here, but I'm happy to continue this discussion the Kunena forum, or if appropriate, I'd give you my real email address and we could continue offline.

Thanks in advance.

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #8 by sozzled
Thank you. I'm happy enough (in a general sense) to continue these discussions off-line but I think there's some merit in permitting hypothetical what-can-Kunena-do-for-your-business discussions to be carried out in public so that we can entertain a variety of opinions, not just mine. :)

I am forming a technical "solution" in my mind but, I gave you fair warning earlier, you're probably not going to like it. :lol:

Now that we understand that your website does not (or will not) allow non-registered access, that is genuinely anonymous browsing and posting, you want your users to be able to assume different disguises. Sometimes your users should be able to represent their thoughts by their real names, sometimes they should be able to mask their identities. It's an interesting set of rules, but I can see why there are politically good motives for playing this kind of game. :)

So I have another question. Would this ability to disguise users (from the detection of other users) also extend to forum moderators or system administrators as well? In other words, if "Chairman Mao" (in my slightly absurd illustrative example) wanted to post something as PekingDuck, would you want him to feel confident in the knowledge that no-one, not even the system/forum moderators could correlate his messages with his "true" identity? :unsure:
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by sozzled. Reason: Change topic title

More
10 years 5 months ago #9 by kross76
It is not important that the system administrator or moderators not be able to ascertain the identity. It would be optimal if it was totally anonymous, but we could live with having the admins etc. be able to see the identity. I always like simplicity. Hopefully, some of your ideas will not involve code modification (or at least minimize it)

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #10 by sozzled
Oh no, not at all, the solution is quite simple. Forum Moderators have the ability to change their identities; they can also change the identities of other postings, too. This message partially illustrates the concept: you should experiment with it more on your own test site.

There is a technical solution that will allow you to extend this functionality to your users The downside, though, is that any avatars your users have chosen will appear with their "disguised" messages - which rather defeats the purpose of having avatars. You might want to discourage avatars for this reason. (I warned you that you may not like the solution).

The "technical" solution is, nonetheless, easy:

Go to Components » Kunena Forum » Kunena Configuration » Security » Allow Name Change = Yes

That will work. Your moderators can figure out who "PekingDuck" is. Your users might be able to figure it out too, if the user has his own unique avatar. But there's the solution.

After applying this setting, when your users post something they can amend their name.

An alternative idea, also fairly easy to implement, is this: when you approve each new user registration, you assign each a second pseudonym account and issue the details to the user. Only you know who has been assigned their pseudonyms. Explain to your users how you would like to see each of their two accounts used.
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by sozzled.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds