Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics contains old discussions (generally more than one year ago or based on circumstances that subsequently changed) or topics resolved in other ways. Topics moved into this category are closed from further discussion.

Question Disappointed from Kunena

More
14 years 8 months ago #1 by etusha
Disappointed from Kunena
Kunena start a big "MISSION" create a forum for JOOMLA but seems that is going on the wrong WAY

Kunena do fantastic JOB made Fireboard NATIVE and fixing some bugs

im disappointed because:

1.developer are focused at K1.6 and have forgot K1.5

2. K1.5 no new features

3. NO info how will be upgrade from K1.5 to K1.6

4. K1.5.5 very buggy (WE SHOULD CALL KUNENA AS BETA VERSION NOT MORE STABLE)

5. first stable J1.6 will be out at December
5.1 until December no new features for K1.5
5.2 personally i will not upgrade from J1.5 to J1.6 at first realize i will wait for J1.6.2 or .3 (for more stability )that mean should wait 02/2009

6. to much integrations Community Builder, JomSocial, JoomFish, JoomSuite, i think make it slower

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #2 by sunnyjey
I fully agree with you - etusha.

I do feel the same. The start of Kunena was fantastic. But after 1.5.5 Stable Version, Kunena Team is going on the same path of Fireboard.

Fireboard started with same intention but eventually swayed away from the path when they started working on Fireboard 2.x version.

After stable version, I was waiting for addition of New Advanced features like Polls, Groups etc, but the present team is more concentrating on adding new communities like JS, Joomunity-- making it more complicated and slow.

Now they are heading towards 1.6 version.

I hope the Kunena will not incite the new cycle of Joomlaboard -> Fireboard -> Kunena -> XYZ Project.

Guys we respect you for your time and dedication for this project, but lack of definite path will laid to nowhere path.

Thank you
Sunny

More
14 years 8 months ago #3 by severdia
Hello and thank you sharing your concerns. Let me address each of them, one by one...

etusha wrote:

Disappointed from Kunena
Kunena start a big "MISSION" create a forum for JOOMLA but seems that is going on the wrong WAY

Sorry that you feel that way. Maybe you can share your vision for how Kunena should go?

im disappointed because:

1.developer are focused at K1.6 and have forgot K1.5

For the last week or so, we had a Developer Summit and have been focused on getting Kunena ready for 1.6. Except for that, we've been working entirely on the 1.0.x and 1.5.x versions...and will continue to work on Kunena 1.5.x since Joomla 1.0.x is now EOL'd. We releases a security fix for Kunena 1.5 last week so I'm not sure how that means we've "forgotten" it.

2. K1.5 no new features

There have been very minor new features add (like social media integration), but the Fireboard board we inherited was a VERY buggy codebase. The priority has been to fix bugs rather than keep adding new feature, which almost always introduce new bugs of their own.

3. NO info how will be upgrade from K1.5 to K1.6

Once Kunena 1.6 us released, we'll share that information. It isn't complete yet and we can't elaborate on things that don't exist. But we can say that upgrading existing Kunena/Fireboard/JoomBoard installs to the latest version of Kunena only requires a simple install. Our goal is to make it as painless and automated as possible.

4. K1.5.5 very buggy (WE SHOULD CALL KUNENA AS BETA VERSION NOT MORE STABLE)

Compared to what? To Fireboard? There have been hundreds of bug fixed by the Kunena team since the fork. It's not perfect (and never will be) because it would have to be entirely rewritten to resolve many of the issues inherited from FB. We'll fix all of that for Kunena 1.6 because the entire codebase is being rewritten in the style of Joomla 1.5/1.6.

5. first stable J1.6 will be out at December

Don't count your chicken before they've hatched.

5.1 until December no new features for K1.5

Hmm. So that means we can relax now and take a vacation? Not a chance.

5.2 personally i will not upgrade from J1.5 to J1.6 at first realize i will wait for J1.6.2 or .3 (for more stability )that mean should wait 02/2009

That's up to you when/if you decide to upgrade.

6. to much integrations Community Builder, JomSocial, JoomFish, JoomSuite, i think make it slower

You "think" it's slower? How can you prove that it is? Our testing shows otherwise.

Author of Using Joomla from O'Reilly Media. | www.usingjoomlabook.com

More
14 years 8 months ago #4 by severdia
Now my personal responses to your claims:

sunnyjey wrote:

I fully agree with you - etusha.

I do feel the same. The start of Kunena was fantastic. But after 1.5.5 Stable Version, Kunena Team is going on the same path of Fireboard.

Fireboard started with same intention but eventually swayed away from the path when they started working on Fireboard 2.x version.

So how can make the claim that the Kunena Team has abandoned 1.5.x? Remember, the Kunena Team is comprised of completely different people than the FB team:

www.kunena.com/team

We also have people on the Joomla Dev Team working on parts of Kunena. So we're actually working on both 1.5.x and getting a start on 1.6 simultaneously. Just because you feel the FB couldn't do it, doesn't mean we can't.

After stable version, I was waiting for addition of New Advanced features like Polls, Groups etc, but the present team is more concentrating on adding new communities like JS, Joomunity-- making it more complicated and slow.

These features are still planned. How do you know where the dev team's concentration is? Do you have any benchmarks showing that the social integration is slowing Kunena down?

Now they are heading towards 1.6 version.

I hope the Kunena will not incite the new cycle of Joomlaboard -> Fireboard -> Kunena -> XYZ Project.

Guys we respect you for your time and dedication for this project, but lack of definite path will laid to nowhere path.

Thank you
Sunny

We have a very clear path for Kunena and it's very much in-sync with the Joomla path since we work closely with the Joomla Project.

So, to sum up, the hyperbole being tossed around here has no factual basis whatsoever. If you have questions, please ask. But be careful not to create your own assumptions or draw false conclusions. The Kunena Project is very much alive and well. And a summary of of last weeks dev meeting will be posted soon so many can see the progress and vision we've worked out.

Author of Using Joomla from O'Reilly Media. | www.usingjoomlabook.com

More
14 years 8 months ago #5 by fxstein
Replied by fxstein on topic Re:Disappointed from Kunena
I'd like to add a few observations here.

Yes we are working hard on Kunena 1.6 - our target is to make it compatible with J1.5 AND J1.6. I don't recall that anybody on the team said something different. So please don't put words in out mouth and come up with funky dates as they have absolutely nothing todo with our plans.

Yes we had to rush the Kunena 1.5.5 release because of a SEVERE security bug reported that dates back the good old FireBoard and even prior. We actually backed out most of the 1.5.5 code in favor for the security release. As we had to act on a moments notice, a few things slipped and we apologize for that.

We will push a 1.5.6 release soon, to fix these issues.

As for our focus: There has never been a time with more developers actively working on the code, more commits, more new features being implemented than right now. Might want to check the SVN commit log and Twitter updates.

Some of us are spending every last available minute on the project to drive the new versions. Some of the claims in here are so without base that I will not comment on them.

We love stars on the Joomla Extension Directory . :-)

More
14 years 8 months ago #6 by etusha
Replied by etusha on topic Re:Disappointed from Kunena
I know that KUNENA is free and u aren't obligate for nothing
I appreciate really your JOB

I say that world because i love KUNENA (im one from the fist user that have believe ate kunena)

severdia
3. thanks for that info

4. compare with KUNENA
5. i have read that at JOOMLA site (at google code)
5.1 :) ( thanks :( that not a answer ) that i understand
5.2 i think it make UPGRADE more stable if u have any other idea plz share
6. I suggest Joomla Plugin that replace LINK site/kunena/profile to site/jomsocial/profile (i think u will have minor bugs)

fxstein

"Yes we are working hard on Kunena 1.6 - our target is to make it compatible with J1.5 AND J1.6. I don't recall that anybody on the team said something different. So please don't put words in out mouth and come up with funky dates as they have absolutely nothing todo with our plans."

i dont know u to tell it in english (english isn`t my motherlanguage)
but that i see

"Yes we had to rush the Kunena 1.5.5 release because of a SEVERE security bug reported that dates back the good old FireBoard and even prior. We actually backed out most of the 1.5.5 code in favor for the security release. As we had to act on a moments notice, a few things slipped and we apologize for that."

the most thing i hate are SECURITY BUGS

We will push a 1.5.6 release soon, to fix these issues.
thanks so much
can i upgrade directly form .4 to .6 ?

Some of us are spending every last available minute on the project to drive the new versions. Some of the claims in here are so without base that I will not comment on them.

PLZ can u tell me what claims so i understand where im wrong

anther time boys thank for your time

More
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #7 by woonydanny
Just my opinion, but I also think the main thing to realise, is that the devs cant go introducing all these fantastic new features that everyone wants (eg polls, plugins, templates etc etc) without a new api/codebase that can do that. There would be no point just hacking these things into the current old codebase as it would just end up messy, clunky and buggy. So yes it has taken some time, but I am just glad that it is happening and whats more it seems that the kunena team have organised themselves and the project very well (especially with the close teamwork with the joomla devs and also Community Builder devs etc) and also just meeting up for the dev summit etc. It is also transparent and open for everyone to see whats happening (eg twitter and SVN) and also the option is there if you have the skills to join in with them.

I have no issues with the current releases and look forward like the rest of us to the work the devs are doing, i think they are doing a superb job.

cheers

still wish that i can write my forum signature through a jomsocial plugin and do it from my jomsocial profile :(
Last edit: 14 years 8 months ago by woonydanny.

More
14 years 8 months ago #8 by Fran
Replied by Fran on topic Re:Disappointed from Kunena
i have huge respect for the people who have been and are putting in hundreds of hours of their time and energy to work on Kunena and then release it for free. I think that is very encouraging to me on a deep spiritual level and gives me hope for the future of this planet. That is of much more value to me than whether Kunena has all the latest features, etc. Although I too want to see more features in Kunena, I feel we need to encourage the devs as much as possible to continue with all the good and hard work they are freely giving us. God bless you Kunena team!

• roger chen
  • Visitor
14 years 8 months ago #9 by roger chen
Replied by roger chen on topic Re:Disappointed from Kunena
Where do the developers get their motivation in spending countless hours to enhance Kunena? They couldn't even raise the 2000$ donation to fund their trip.

Agreed with the rest, rewrite to 1.6, create a great api for other developers to create extra features.

If there is still motivation in the developers then kudos, and continue the great job.
If the motivation is dying, do you think turning into a priced component will make you energized? (I personally will not work for free)

More
14 years 8 months ago #10 by schmatzler

K1.5 no new features

Mmmmh, there exists a very good poll hack in the forums here, its 1.5 native, the new buttons for boardcode are really nice (I think they where officially introduced with 1.5) and it has a good Community Builder integration - what more features do you want to have? I like these ones and maybe the polls are getting officially at some time.

NO info how will be upgrade from K1.5 to K1.6

Why do you need THAT? You're talking about stability but on the other hand you want documentation for a not finished version.

K1.5.5 very buggy (WE SHOULD CALL KUNENA AS BETA VERSION NOT MORE STABLE)

I cannot share your opinion. I am using Kunena since 1.0.8 on my website and since that time it has gotten far more stable - there exists a little bug with the IMG-tags in Kunena 1.5.5, but does that make it a beta version? I think you're just trolling here.

to much integrations Community Builder, JomSocial, JoomFish, JoomSuite, i think make it slower

A lot of people use this integrations, without them Kunena would not be such big as it is at the moment. Its the nonplusultra for me, as Fireboard was in its days - and I still think you're just trolling. Why are you crying for Kunena 1.6 - Joomla 1.6 is not stable, you have mixed arguments here. What do you want, stability or new features on buggy software? :P

Time to create page: 0.591 seconds