Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics contains old discussions (generally more than one year ago or based on circumstances that subsequently changed) or topics resolved in other ways. Topics moved into this category are closed from further discussion.

Question What is "karma" ?

More
12 years 10 months ago #31 by kdpickett
I'm jumping into this topic because we have a problem with one forum member dialing down the karma of another member each time he logs on. I equate it to bullying. The sad part to this story is that, for the most part, these are grown men on a fly fishing forum. Unbelievable. It would be nice to have options in Kunena for the items discussed in this thread. Possibly somewhere in the configuration, add options to disable negative karma, disallow karma for certain users, etc. I may try my hand at building an extension for that. There's enough info in this thread alone to do that. As with everything else in my life, time is valuable... Thanks to all, by the way, for the info.

-Keith
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kymmy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #32 by sozzled

kdpickett wrote: I'm jumping into this topic because we have a problem with one forum member dialing down the karma of another member each time he logs on. I equate it to bullying.

I know, I understand and sympathise with your predicament. Some people have such low self-esteem that they seem to feel some sense of "achievement" if they can abuse others in this way. The same people suffer the same delusions of grandeur and feel the need to achieve "importance" by using multiple identities to dial up their own "karma".

Whichever way you look at it, karma is unhealthy because there's no measure of accountability built into it. I must have written dozens of messages about karma and they're mostly about the same issues that you've described. Ultimately, the simplest and most effective way to eliminate abusers of your forum from your forum is to disable the tools that give them their power. Disable karma completely and you will not have these problems because you disempower the bullies (in part).

If I disagree with what someone else writes on a forum then I state my opinions and the basis for my disagreement and I accept the responsibility for those things. I appreciate the criticism I may receive in return. But I do not appreciate the "attacks by stealth" that occur by those who lack the courage to acknowledge who they are and why they feel the need to make those attacks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kdpickett

More
12 years 10 months ago #33 by kdpickett

Whichever way you look at it, karma is unhealthy because there's no measure of accountability built into it.

Exactly. I just wish there was a way to reward the good and faithful members of the board. These are the ones who go out of their way to help others and make (in our case, anyway) a forum grow and the experience pleasurable. It's not a perfect world, I know, and there is no justice in this case. It's just another disappointment in life (not a reflection on Kunena, but forums in general). Trolls will be trolls. Having said all of that, I just disabled the karma feature based on suggestions here and I now sleep better. :)

Thanks for the info.
-Keith

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #34 by sozzled

kdpickett wrote: I just wish there was a way to reward the good and faithful members of the board

Well, there are ways to reward good members who contribute to your site. It's just that, in my opinion, karma isn't a particularly effective one.
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 10 months ago #35 by Matias
If you want to reward users, reward their best messages by giving thank you. Thank you is bound to a message and it also logs other information and shows user who said thank you to everyone.

As every thank you comes from what user writes, it also removes rewards, which are based to feelings towards that user.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sozzled

• C0n
  • Premium Member
  • Only the strongest will survive
More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #36 by C0n
Replied by C0n on topic Kunena Karma Flood Limit
So looking at Kunena's core i notice that the time before you are allowed to increase a users karma is set to be 6 hours inbetween each increase and decrease.

com_kunena/lib/kunena.karma.php
Code:
$karma_min_seconds = '14400'; // 14400 seconds = 6 hours

But like forum posts what is to stop them from going and increasing or decreasing another members karma ? (Spam if you like across as many diffrent members as they like in less than a few seconds.)

I'm curious if it has a flood limit to it like kunena forum post's where you can set the time limit to prevent flooding of the entire forum "30 seconds between each post".
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by C0n.

More
12 years 3 months ago #37 by Archon
Hello, I would like to know if there is a possibility to limit the Karma that people can give. (give 1 per person or take 1 away per person and per day for example)

Is this possible? I m using Kunena 1.6.4

More
12 years 3 months ago #38 by CheechDogg
Replied by CheechDogg on topic Re: Can we co
Oh man, you just opened up a can of worms my friend. I will advice you to either leave the Karma feature the way it is and let people go at it, or turn it off completely.

The Karma topic has been discussed here a billion times and your question has been asked probably just as many.

Currently you can not do that, as far as I know. I let my sites members have fun with it as much as they want, either in a negative way or a positive one.

Like my buddy zozzled has said, it is a feature that some like and some don't. I really doubt you will get anyone to help you with this one my friend.

[img
Find me on Facebook.

CAG Clan 1st and 3rd Person Shooter Clan on XBOX 360 & PS3
The following user(s) said Thank You: Archon

More
12 years 3 months ago #39 by Archon
Replied by Archon on topic Re: Can we co
Thank you very much.

I searched if i could find an answer to that before but i didnt find anything, maybe the threads had been deleted. But thank you for your advice.

Yea, i m sorry double post by mistake because i didnt finished writing my Topic.

More
12 years 3 months ago #40 by CheechDogg
Replied by CheechDogg on topic Re: Can we co
No problem buddy, but yeah I haven't seen anyone say that we are able to do that with the Karma feature my Friend.

[img
Find me on Facebook.

CAG Clan 1st and 3rd Person Shooter Clan on XBOX 360 & PS3

Time to create page: 0.410 seconds