Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics contains old discussions (generally more than one year ago or based on circumstances that subsequently changed) or topics resolved in other ways. Topics moved into this category are closed from further discussion.

Question What is "karma" ?

More
13 years 5 months ago #11 by Rooster
What is the approved method then, here to report a bug? Surely you cannot tell me that this is a desirable effect of the karma system, that one person could simple take any other user to any amount of karma they wished, plus or negative.. That alone renders the complete system useless and non-beneficial. If no one else will step up, I'll list it as a bug/flaw.. Odd though that I never noticed it in the older versions, not sure why. Thought that the old one removed the buttons after you voted once, maybe it was template controlled, or for some reason I just never thought of clicking one twice, lol..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #12 by haithun
Why dont use the "Thank you" function instead?

More
13 years 5 months ago #13 by sozzled

Rooster wrote: Surely you cannot tell me that this is a desirable effect of the karma system, that one person could simple take any other user to any amount of karma they wished, plus or negative.. That alone renders the complete system useless and non-beneficial.

I'm not going to get into my favourite subject of why I feel that the karma feature is non-beneficial; it's a matter of individual choice.

By default, new installations of Kunena enable the karma feature. As a standard operating procedure, I disable the feature on my websites; that's my choice. The karma feature has always been problematic both from an ethical perspective and in a technical sense.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. I will pass along your comments and we'll see what can be done to rectify this ability to abuse karma. In the meantime, if you do not have the confidence that your users will use this feature in a responsible way, I suggest that you disable it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rooster

More
13 years 5 months ago #14 by Rooster
Indeed, I shall disable it, though I do hope at some point the issue gets resolved. I somewhat agree in the usefulness, generally the people on my site are fair minded. We use the karma as a way to highlight 'valued' posters from punks. You'll more readily take advice from someone rated highly, than someone with 0 or a negative. The thanks serves as a great tool for a good thread, perhaps a cool post, or an answer to a question (as I've done on here), but doesn't allow you that overall "how does this person rate" kind of scenario. Appreciate the response and willingness to pass the issue along :)

More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #15 by sozzled

Rooster wrote: ... generally the people on my site are fair minded. We use the karma as a way to highlight 'valued' posters from punks. You'll more readily take advice from someone rated highly, than someone with 0 or a negative.

That may be the case on your website as, we would also hope, it would be the case here at Kunena.com. However, the reality, because the karma feature lacks accountability - the ability to trace who is awarding or removing karma - explains why the feature was removed from Kunena.com about 12 months ago.

As I mentioned, I don't really want to argue whether or not the feature is useful, beneficial or desirable. These are matters of personal choice. There have been many discussions about karma, here at Kunena.com, as any search on the subject would show (e.g. What is "karma" ? as one of them).

We feel that it is better to "rate" the value of the contributions made - the substance of the messages posted, if you like to think of it in those terms - than some arbitrary, subjective (and open-to-abuse) measure of rating people. For example, if karma were to be re-instituted at this website, my karma rating would probably be negative several hundred because of the few people who happen to disagree with my views. This as opposed to the so-called "positive reinforcement" that some people naïvely believe a positive karma might achieve. We believe that the "Thank You" feature is a better way to go - and you can see how this translates if you look at the statistics here: www.kunena.com/forum/stats
Last edit: 13 years 5 months ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 3 months ago #16 by Azure
I have also posted this in the 'Feature request' section as I think the idea has significant merit but in the meantime, I am looking for some general advice on making a simple hack as follows:

I would like to change the Karma system so that it operates like a Recommend system, discarding the negative value, leaving the positive value in place for this purpose. I am following the tutorial on how to change the word Karma to Recommend using this page: docs.kunena.org/index.php/How_I_can_change_the_name_Karma%3F

To complete this, which file(s) do I need to look at in order to comment out any reference to the negative value?

This will provide two important levels of feedback within the Kunena forum I'm working on, the first being a personal 'Thank you' acknowledgment wherever merited and the second recognising post content as having some tangible value to the reader.

Cheers,

Azure

"Do or do not, there is no try..."

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #17 by sozzled
I have already responded to your message posted in Kunena Karma and Unanswered thread .

There are several reasons why I believe that this suggestion has a few problems (not the least of which finding the technical solution to stop the "karma" value going negative). The three main reasons are:

(1) There is no accountability with the karma feature: there is no way of discovering who gave the karma. You could "rename" Karma to "recommendation", if you wanted, but the issue of accountability still remains.

(2) There is already a personal "thank you" feature in K 1.6. The new feature is fully accountable: you can see who thanked you and whom you thanked.

(3) An improved way of showing what topics have been of benefit to others is to have a topic rating system; this is planned for a later version of Kunena.
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Azure, bostlabs

More
13 years 3 months ago #18 by @quila

Azure wrote: To complete this, which file(s) do I need to look at in order to comment out any reference to the negative value?

Hi,
look into file components / com_kunena / func / view.php and comment line 191
Code:
//$this->userkarma .= ' '.CKunenaLink::GetKarmaLink ( 'decrease', $this->catid, $this->id, $this->userid, '<span class="kkarma-minus" alt="Karma-" border="0" title="' . JText::_('COM_KUNENA_KARMA_SMITE') . '"> </span>' );

and components / com_kunena / func / profile.php, comment line 377
Code:
//$userkarma .= ' '.CKunenaLink::GetKarmaLink ( 'decrease', '', '', $this->profile->userid, '<span class="kkarma-minus" title="' . JText::_('COM_KUNENA_KARMA_SMITE') . '"> </span>' );

That should do the trik ;)

Regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: Azure, Kymmy

More
13 years 3 months ago #19 by Azure
Thanks @quila!

@quila wrote:

Azure wrote: To complete this, which file(s) do I need to look at in order to comment out any reference to the negative value?

Hi,
look into file components / com_kunena / func / view.php and comment line 191
Code:
//$this->userkarma .= ' '.CKunenaLink::GetKarmaLink ( 'decrease', $this->catid, $this->id, $this->userid, '<span class="kkarma-minus" alt="Karma-" border="0" title="' . JText::_('COM_KUNENA_KARMA_SMITE') . '"> </span>' );

and components / com_kunena / func / profile.php, comment line 377
Code:
//$userkarma .= ' '.CKunenaLink::GetKarmaLink ( 'decrease', '', '', $this->profile->userid, '<span class="kkarma-minus" title="' . JText::_('COM_KUNENA_KARMA_SMITE') . '"> </span>' );

That should do the trik ;)

Regards

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #20 by Azure
This is a temporary fix until the proposed rating system is added to the component. The thank you system, coupled with the proposed rating tool is the way to go with this long term and I commend the development team for taking this forward.

I think the notion of positive points appearing under a member's avatar is a concept that has a great deal of merit. Sure the thank you tool is great but it will only ever appear under that particular post or on the statistics page which means the average user being the beast that he is will never bother looking for that kind of information. We're dealing with very ordinary folk with a lot of these forums and as long as they're in the thread of a forum, they're very happy and are unlikely to spend much time elsewhere within the Kunena forum.

On the other hand, if we were to embed an up-to-date tally of the thank you info under a member's avatar, then that would extremely useful. Does that make sense? I do tend to waffle and talk at cross-purposes. :blink:

sozzled wrote: I have already responded to your message posted in Kunena Karma and Unanswered thread .

There are several reasons why I believe that this suggestion has a few problems (not the least of which finding the technical solution to stop the "karma" value going negative). The three main reasons are:

(1) There is no accountability with the karma feature: there is no way of discovering who gave the karma. You could "rename" Karma to "recommendation", if you wanted, but the issue of accountability still remains.

(2) There is already a personal "thank you" feature in K 1.6. The new feature is fully accountable: you can see who thanked you and whom you thanked.

(3) An improved way of showing what topics have been of benefit to others is to have a topic rating system; this is planned for a later version of Kunena.

Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by Azure.

Time to create page: 0.413 seconds