Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics contains old discussions (generally more than one year ago or based on circumstances that subsequently changed) or topics resolved in other ways. Topics moved into this category are closed from further discussion.

Question Any way of making Kunena lighter

More
12 years 1 month ago #1 by zombies
I mean lighter in terms of Kb

I have been looking as to why my site is heavy kb wise and did a clean J2.5 install and then installed Kunena

J2.5 with standard template = 103kb

install Kunena = 661kb meaning kunena is taking up 558kb which is an incredible amount compared to the likes of phpBB where the whole site can be 70kb on a clean install

I would like Kunena to be lighter, it is difficult to use a compress plugin as it affects everything other than the components.

Apologise if this has been covered.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #2 by GoremanX
Actually, a lot of the code you see added as a result of Kunena really comes from Joomla itself. Kunena (and many other extensions) uses some features of Joomla which require quite a few extra files from Joomla itself. However, these files are mostly cached in the user's browser. Subsequent requests for them result in nothing being downloaded, since it's a one-time thing.

Unfortunately, there's no way to lighten this initial load since the Mootools libraries are required for proper functioning of Kunena.

THE place to discuss photography!
www.friendlyphotozone.com
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by GoremanX.

More
12 years 1 month ago #3 by zombies
thanks for replying.

More
12 years 1 month ago #4 by sozzled
Yes, similar kinds of questions have been asked on various aspects of how far it might be possible to cut down what's really needed to run a fully-functional, robust, reliable and durable web-based discussion forum while, at the same time, allowing for a comprehensive set of features and extensibility surrounding the feature set at the same time.

As far as the discussion about comparing Kunena to, say phpBB is concerned:

phpBB installation kit = 2.35Mb
Kunena installation kit = 2.00 Mb

Also, as far "lightness" is concerned, you might read this topic for some background information: Related to Mootools .

Thanks for the feedback.

Time to create page: 0.409 seconds