Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics contains old discussions (generally more than one year ago or based on circumstances that subsequently changed) or topics resolved in other ways. Topics moved into this category are closed from further discussion.

Question Alternative templates?

• monkeyman
  • monkeyman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
12 years 4 months ago #1 by monkeyman
Alternative templates? was created by monkeyman
Are there any professional good looking templates for Kunena? The ones I've found are all quite lame. I'd love to buy a good template.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #2 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Alternative templates?
I'm not sure if anyone can answer the question the way you've asked. The answer is, of course, that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." What one person considers to be "professionally good-looking" is, to another person, "lame". The only advice I can offer you is to look at the KED for some ideas and to contact the authors of those designs for further advice. But, if you want my advice, I wouldn't start by telling those people that their designs were lame. I don't think that's a particularly good way to win people over to your opinion. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: detailer

More
12 years 2 months ago #3 by sozzled
While we accept some advertising from members of the community who derive an income from designing and developing Kunena templates, we would also ask that advertising be kept to a fairly low volume. This is covered by "Fair use" advertising policy

The KED is the place where people can offer templates. The Kunena team does not endorse any of these privately-written templates and have the resources to verify any claims that external links will address the concerns of this community.

More
12 years 2 months ago #4 by sozzled
Monkeyman, we're all entitled to different opinions. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" as they say. Criticise where you think it's fair; improve if you are capable but don't go labelling the hard work done by others as "lame" or "crappy" only because you think you know better.

The point of my earlier reply was not directed at you, specifically. It was directed at 9themestore because of similar advertisements posted on the forum earlier today. This possible abuse of the "fair-use" advertising policy was brought to my attention and I believe that I have dealt with it appropriately.

Monkeyman, please remember that you are a guest in this community and that some people may find your conduct is inappropriate.

If you would like to know more about Kunena 2.0, you are welcome to follow the project on GitHub: github.com/Kunena ;)

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #5 by sozzled
Maybe this will help: The 5 minute quick and dirty Kunena 1.6 template . I realise that was written a long time ago, but the ideas are still just as relevant today.

WYSIWYG is a different topic. Let's not get too carried away here with finding fault with everything. We're working on it.
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 2 months ago #6 by Jiminimonka
Replied by Jiminimonka on topic Alternative templates?
As far as I can tell, IPB charge for their 'great product' and Kunena provides it for free. Also IPB does not integrate into Joomla without a bridge. So its not even relevant to this discussion.

Also, what you are saying is your own reflection, it is not someone elses opinion is it?

If you want to pay for a Kunena template, there is a link further up the thread, if you want to support Kunena, please feel free to make a donation.

Please read the FAQ.
Only one question per topic.
Search before you ask a question.

• monkeyman
  • Visitor
12 years 2 months ago #7 by monkeyman
Replied by monkeyman on topic Alternative templates?

sozzled wrote: Maybe this will help: The 5 minute quick and dirty Kunena 1.6 template . I realise that was written a long time ago, but the ideas are still just as relevant today.

I'm not a fan of making any template from the scratch, however I'm pretty good in CSS, do know some PHP and AJAX/jQuery a bit. Don't want to spend tons of hours on it - would prefer to pay.

sozzled wrote: WYSIWYG is a different topic. Let's not get too carried away here with finding fault with everything. We're working on it.

Really glad to hear that!

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #8 by sozzled
AJAX is also off-topic and, you're mistaken: Kunena employs AJAX (albeit to a limited degree) which is also being addressed in K 2.0. AJAX and WYSIWYG have little to do with the layout of web elements (which is what templating is all about). As I wrote earlier, let's not use this topic as a springboard for discussing various complaints that people may have about Kunena. We welcome fair and honest criticism but let's try to not lose the focus of this topic.

We accept that there's a need to improve the Kunena templating system. There are limitations on how far this can be achieved in K 1.7. There is considerable scope for improvement in K 2.0.

If you won't ever use K 1.7 because it does not appeal to you, that's OK. :)
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by sozzled.

• monkeyman
  • Visitor
12 years 2 months ago #9 by monkeyman
Replied by monkeyman on topic Alternative templates?
I tried 1.7 and didn't like it. As I said, it lacks some pretty useful features, which sometimes hard to separate from template. Templating is not only design, but also technology. Take Yootheme templates for example: sometimes simple in design, but always rich in technology.

More
11 years 7 months ago #10 by sozzled
There are many good alternative templates available for use with Kunena. If you seek a different look and feel to the standard template(s) designed, developed and supported by the Kunena project, we invite you to do your own research or use the advertising links that you see displayed on the pages at this website.

Time to create page: 0.548 seconds