Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics contains old discussions (generally more than one year ago or based on circumstances that subsequently changed) or topics resolved in other ways. Topics moved into this category are closed from further discussion.

Question Is it possible to subscribe a user to a thread / topic

More
12 years 5 months ago #1 by Trevor
In the Forum configuration panel I see a "Users" tab and also there is the "User Manager" in the Kunena control panel.
But I can't see anywhere that I can subscribe a user to a thread.
Ideally I'd like a default for any new user that they are subscribed to a specific thread or topic. I don't mind if the user later "Un-subscribes"

Is there anyway to do this?

Regards,
Trevor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #2 by xillibit
Hello,

You can't do it with Kunena, the user need to subscribe to topics by himself

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

More
12 years 5 months ago #3 by Trevor
Shame. I would be nice if a user can have specific 'important' subscriptions set.
When a user first registers with a discussion forum they probably don't know that you can subscribe to a topic.

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #4 by sozzled
G'day, Trevor, and welcome to Kunena.

If you have an important category of topics that you would like your users to subscribe to, you should encourage your users to subscribe. But you also need to put yourself in their shoes and say "Would I really want to subscribe to that category?" For example, as a new user of this forum, have you subscribed to anything here? For example, did you read the information shown on the forum index page and see the information shown in the following picture?

So there you have it. It's a case of you can lead horses to water ... but if people don't want to subscribe even after they've been shown things that you think they should subscribe to (after being told that they can subscribe) then that's disproves the argument whether or not they "know" that there's a subscription facility available, doesn't it?

So, did you subscribe to the Official Announcements and News about Kunena category? ;)
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 5 months ago #5 by Trevor
No - I hadn't noticed the piece of information encouraging me to subscribe to a topic. Which only goes to prove that allowing the administrator to set default subscriptions (if they want to) would be a good thing.

When a user first logs in to a forum, they are pounded with a bit of an overload of information so you can't expect them to notice a small bit of text recommending that they subscribe to a particular category or topic. Also they invariably won't know what 'Subscribing' means.

With my proposal, if an administrator doesn't want to subscribe their users to specific topics or categories then they simply don't.

Regards,
Trevor

More
12 years 5 months ago #6 by sozzled
The short answer is that this can't be done in Kunena (and I'm unaware of any other web-based discussion forum in which this is done or can be done) and you'll have to find some other way to encourage your users to subscribe to the topics that you think they should subscribe to.

Time to create page: 0.365 seconds