Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics contains old discussions (generally more than one year ago or based on circumstances that subsequently changed) or topics resolved in other ways. Topics moved into this category are closed from further discussion.

Question [Merged topic] Joomla 1.7 and implications for Kunena

More
12 years 9 months ago #31 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: joomla 1.7
deemo: I have approved your request to join the Official Kunena Testers Group. Membership of that group is restricted to people who are experienced users of Joomla and Kunena and who have demonstrated their commitment to the project by their activity on the forum. Members of the group are expected to provide feedback to the group, to confirm that new releases of Kunena work (as much as detecting any serious issues that need to be resolved) before new releases are made available to the general community. People who do not meet these requirements cannot join that group or they may be removed from the group if they do not continue to be active within that group.

As a member of the testers group you now have access to versions of Kunena under development. Can you please test K 1.6.5 and advise whether this version is safe to be released? Please note, there is no support given - to fix problems that may arise - to people who use development releases of Kunena. In other words, we do not recommend that you should use a live, production site for testing development releases of Kunena. I hope that puts your concerns aside. Thank you. :)
The topic has been locked.
More
12 years 9 months ago #32 by headache
Replied by headache on topic Re: joomla 1.7

yog5121 wrote:

sozzled wrote:
A few moments ago, I received information that the following Joomla extensions are known to have compatibility problems with J! 1.7:

• Community Builder
  • Artiseer templates
  • Gantry templates
  • YOOtheme templates
  • JomSocial
  • EasyBlog; and
  • Joomlart T3 templates

Yes i have EasyBlog too and it breaks J1.7. I think a few days i can wait for the new Kunena version, and wish thats the best Kunena ever :-)
Sorry but i have asked for helping you with beta testing, i´m a little bit experienced in PHP and Databases, oh i have learned this (Information Technology it´s my job :-) ) You don´t want my help, because i´m a frsh user. OK

I also use EasyBlog and Artisteer templates and they actually WORK.
Both were quite quick to release updated version that were compatible with 1.7.

EasyBlogs "breaking" could be because a bug that were in 1.6.0 (anx was fixed in 1.6.1) is reappeared in 1.7.0.
There is a fix in EasyBlogs homepage FAQs (fatal errors on Joomla 1.7.0).

And like the rest of us, I also am waiting for the updated Kunena version (great extension by the way) to make the final transition to J! 1.7.
More
12 years 9 months ago #33 by sade
Replied by sade on topic Re: joomla 1.7
some little things (absolutly no offense)

- the yoothemes, easyblog, etc aren't FREE products like joomla, it means less ppl who use them (i think)

- the kunena forum is essential for joomla users (million times more than every other 3rd part component)

- some ppl just asking when you release the new version, you don't have to blame "they also does not work", we can wait, we want help, really, we are not enemies :) (sorry, just it was really reminded me in school times, "i didnt made my homeword, but xy also didnt made" ofcoz you DON'T HAVE to make, just it was picked in my mind)

sorry for my bad english, im a language antitalent, but i hope you know what i mean

and again: it's not offense, we all want help.
More
12 years 9 months ago #34 by Estacey2009
Replied by Estacey2009 on topic Re: joomla 1.7
Earlier I mentioned the 'end of life' deadline for Joomla 1.6 - It's important to remember that after mid August 2011, even Kunena developers cannot get support for the 1.6 version of Joomla. That means they just won't answer questions about how they programmed Joomla 1.6, they'll be busy ironing out the problems in 1.7.

What is even more shocking, is that we may be doomed to repeat this scenario about mid February of 2012, about six months from now! as Joomla 1.7 reaches it's 'end of life' But wait, there's more.. Joomla 1.5 croaks about the middle of May, this means.. "If you're a Joomla user, you better have 1.8 on your site by the Middle of May, next year.. You'll get no support from Joomla, except for that version!

Why Joomla does this, is their business - They want their project to survive, healthy, leaving the extension community (Kunena, etc.. ) to fend for themselves.

So, while the Kunena project is just getting the forum running smooth for 1.7, it's liable to be smashed to the ground again as 1.8 makes it's debut. Just as the team 'learns' how 1.7 ticks, it's got to get going strong on 1.8.

A suggestion to avoid most of this pain, would be to try to develop a more 'stand alone' version of Kunena, with input and output less dependent on Joomla's changes.. There are 'stand-alone' forums out there, they 'bridge' into Joomla.. Some go easy, some go, not-so easy.. But fiddling with a bridge code must surely be easier than trying to learn, then re-learn, then learn again how Joomla works.

Here's a scary picture I found on the net..

Attachments:
More
12 years 9 months ago #35 by Estacey2009
Replied by Estacey2009 on topic Re: joomla 1.7

sade wrote: some little things (absolutly no offense)

- the yoothemes, easyblog, etc aren't FREE products like joomla, it means less ppl who use them (i think)

- the kunena forum is essential for joomla users (million times more than every other 3rd part component)

Excellent point, actually Kunena is many times more valuable to a Joomla user 'because' it is free, as in 'no charge for updates or improvements'.

By this I mean, many extensions, core improvements, even templates 'cost' membership to a club, or out-right cha-ching! - Support for those requires 'continued membership' at a cost, or 'pay as you go' support. It gets expensive.

If your membership has run out for something like, "Jomsocial" or the "YooTheme" you're faced with NOT upgrading to the next Joomla or, shell out more money, then sit and wait and hope those teams get their project in order, or listen for their announcement that it works with the version of Joomla you want to use.. then pay your money. (In the case of Jomsocial, it's half again as much as the initial membership, and they just raised their prices!)

(As a side note, I've long thought projects that ran that way looked at the calendar to see when the majority of their membership was coming to expiration, then 'release' the latest feature or upgrade to their project, so as to entice people to re-apply. But that just sounds too paranoid)

This way of running a 'project' nets money, and possibly more money for the project.. however, as we may realize 'could' drive away customers, your product left frozen in a version of Joomla that nobody can get support for.

Earlier this year the community was spouting a, "stick with 1.5" motto, "As this is the most stable version of Joomla, and least likely to blow-up on you".. Of course, tons of new extensions for 1.6 were coming out, 1.6 seemed to be running smoothly.. And, it became hard to NOT upgrade.. So, when your favorite extension (ie.. Kunena) announced that it worked with 1.6.. You sprung into upgrade! Well, unless you had several 'paid for' products that were not compatable.. then you stayed 'stuck' in 1.5

And you can just imagine how those, 'pay to have' developers scramble whenever Joomla changes.. their support forums are a fist-fight battle ground most of the time..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jiminimonka
More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #36 by Jiminimonka
Replied by Jiminimonka on topic Re: joomla 1.7
I like what you have said, and decided to start donating a small amount of money to Kunena from now on, maybe once or twice a month.

I prefer to use the open source 'free' extension instead of paying for membership etc., and Kunena suits me perfectly.

Please read the FAQ.
Only one question per topic.
Search before you ask a question.
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by Jiminimonka.
More
12 years 9 months ago #37 by LN888
Replied by LN888 on topic Re: joomla 1.7
So... it's now been like 6 days... and no info. :pinch:

I UNDERSTAND that answering the same question over and over is redundant at best... so why not a simple fix to that solution?
HOW? you ask... SIMPLE!

CREATE A THREAD, lock it... and post to it once to twice a day so that EVERYONE can refer to it and feel that we are getting UP-TO-DATE info on the development. This thread can be your updates on your closing in on the release of 1.6.5.
If you have nothing new to report... then FINE... put in one sentence that you are still not ready. at LEAST we all have a feel that we are getting the LATEST info... then we ALL won't "waste your time" (according to some) asking the SAME QUESTION over and over.

Hows THAT?
:whistle:
More
12 years 9 months ago #38 by Jiminimonka
Replied by Jiminimonka on topic Re: joomla 1.7
Once 1.6.5 is available, it will be on the Kunena home page. Simplez!

Please read the FAQ.
Only one question per topic.
Search before you ask a question.
More
12 years 9 months ago #39 by 810
Replied by 810 on topic Re: joomla 1.7
We still fixing some issue's/bugs. Today i have fixed 5 issue's on k1.6.5 and 2 issue's on discuss plugin. So please have some patience on the new release.

regards 810
The following user(s) said Thank You: hkymre, BMW_CHUBB
More
12 years 9 months ago #40 by BMW_CHUBB
Replied by BMW_CHUBB on topic Re: joomla 1.7
Great work guys, on the update.

I am waiting for your boys to give us the greatest forum for joomla B)
Time to create page: 0.611 seconds