Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This category contains miscellaneous, uncategorised third-party extensions (e.g. JomSocial, Community Builder, etc.) relating to older versions of Kunena that are no longer supported.

This category may also contain a few topics relating to K 1.6 that may have been moved here possibly by mistake.

The topics in this category are for historical interest only. Owing to the structural differences between K 1.6 and K 1.7, the ideas in these topics may not work with later versions and, for that reason, the topics are locked.

Question Remove gender icon

More
13 years 7 months ago #1 by turminator
Hi,

I'm using Jomsocial and Kunena 1.6 and I look that in every post shows a icon called: "Gender: Not avaiable"

I'm interested to remove this icon because all users use Jomsocial profile. Is it posible or is it posible to use Jomsocial information?

Many thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #2 by cbrace
Replied by cbrace on topic Re: Remove gender icon
I am encountering the same issue. Is there a way to disable the gender icon in Kunena?

More
12 years 5 months ago #3 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Remove gender icon

cbrace wrote: I am encountering the same issue. Is there a way to disable the gender icon in Kunena?

In the Kunena forum or in the JomSocial profile?

More
12 years 5 months ago #4 by cbrace
In the Kunena forum.

If you set your gender in JomSocial, it should display properly in Kunena -- but doesn't. So the easiest thing would be to simply remove the gender icon from Kunena. I'm looking for an easy way to do that.

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #5 by sozzled

cbrace wrote: In the Kunena forum.

If you set your gender in JomSocial, it should display properly in Kunena -- but doesn't.

I don't understand what you mean by the gender icon not displaying "properly" in the Kunena forum. Look at this page. The gender icon shows (for you, Colin) as "unknown".

So, it comes down to whether or not people change their Kunena profile (and specify whether they are male or female or leave the value as unknown) or whether you hide the icon. I think that's really the question, isn't it? It's easy enough to hide the icon; asking people to change their profile information is a different question.

If you specify a value (other than unknown) in your forum, does the icon display "properly"?
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 5 months ago #6 by cbrace
My gender is set to "male" in the profile editor, but appears here in the forum as "unknown".

This is precisely the problem on the forum I am managing. There appears to be a bug somewhere in the syncing between the two databases (JomSocial + Kunena).

I thought that simply disabling the gender icon in Kunena would be the easiest thing do to, but I am open to other suggestions for how to solve this.

More
12 years 5 months ago #7 by sozzled
Thank you for helping with that. I think we're now discovering a much more important issue that was first canvassed in this topic. Obviously it's really very easy to hide the gender button (it would take you all of one mouse-click to find out what your need to do) but that doesn't really address the underlying issue. You've hit the nail on the head: "There appears to be a bug somewhere in the synching between the two databases (JomSocial + Kunena)."

So, on the one hand we can sweep problems like this underneath the carpet (by using the display:none rule for the element - #Kunena .kicon-profile-gender-unknown) or we can try to figure out how to resolve the problem. I don't use JomSocial on any of my websites so I'm not much use to you. I must have set my gender icon here (at this website) by editing my Kunena profile or maybe something worked between JomSocial and Kunena way back when I joined this site ...it was so long ago that I don't remember now.

I'm against sweeping problems under the carpet; if we aren't told that there are "breakages" like this we'll never fix the problems. I'm not saying that the problem will be fixed but it's good to know what's causing the issue. Wouldn't you agree?

More
12 years 5 months ago #8 by cbrace
I would be all for fixing this properly -- of course. But I have no idea whether this is a Kunena issue or a JomSocial one, hence I don't know where to ask.

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #9 by sozzled
This is kind of a chicken-and-egg discussion. The problem is either or both (or more of one than the other) for JomSocial and Kunena. Obviously JomSocial has a reputation to maintain (in the sense that their software interacts seamlessly with other Joomla extensions) or they might prefer that other Joomla extensions (e.g. Kunena) should do the work so that they can offer their products as "JomSocial-compatible". That then begs the question, well, if it's JomSocial-compatible then can't it be also Community Builder-compatible, and Brand-X compatible and so the list goes on. Ultimately it becomes an overwhelming problem for the developers of one Joomla extension to make their product interoperate with every other product on the market.

The issues that should not be in dispute are that JomSocial is good for running certain things and Kunena is good for running other things. If you want to manage your Kunena forum use effectively then you need Kunena software to do that (e.g. you cannot, for example assign a user to be a forum moderator with JomSocial, you cannot assign forum ranks in Kunena using anything other than Kunena software).

Just as there is a problem with the gender value in JomSocial not "taking" in Kunena, there's also a problem that the Kunena forum signature cannot be set in JomSocial. Likewise, you cannot change the preference first-post-first vs last-post-first in Community Builder, either. To do these things effectively, you need to be able to change your Kunena profile. Although it's possible, in Kunena, to set Community Builder or JomSocial when people click a user's avatar or click the Profile menu tab, if they can't also edit their Kunena profile (somehow) then they won't be able to change certain things (e.g. gender) as you have discovered.

I'll be honest with you. In my websites where I have installed Kunena (and I've used Community Builder) I set the Integration » Profile = Kunena in the Forum Configuration. It's less hassle that way. I'm not trying to have an argument with your choice; I'm saying, instead, that I'm very sympathetic to the problem.

So, in conclusion, it would be nice to find an answer for you and, I think, it needs to be addressed by the Kunena development team if they feel that this is a priority. In the meantime you have other ways of addressing the problem (either by hiding the icon or by accepting the fact that no Joomla extension is totally geared to work with any other Joomla extension ... no matter how much we'd like them to be. ;)

The problem, actually, is easily solved by giving your users a menu item that says "change your forum user preferences". But, I agree, that's a bit of double handling, isn't it?

I'll pass along your request for investigation into this matter. Cheers :)
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by sozzled.

Time to create page: 0.474 seconds