Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This category contains miscellaneous, uncategorised third-party extensions (e.g. JomSocial, Community Builder, etc.) relating to older versions of Kunena that are no longer supported.

This category may also contain a few topics relating to K 1.6 that may have been moved here possibly by mistake.

The topics in this category are for historical interest only. Owing to the structural differences between K 1.6 and K 1.7, the ideas in these topics may not work with later versions and, for that reason, the topics are locked.

Question Community Builder: the right option?

More
15 years 1 month ago #1 by Mr Livered
Hi

I am running a Kunena 1.0.8 site, and am really pleased with it. The temptation is to add CB (Joomunity is too expensive) to add profile-based features like user images and blogs. I'll probably wait for the integration to improve on the CB side, but in the meantime, what are people's experiences of CB?

I'm asking on this forum because I find joomlapolis.com to be a fairly poor advertisement for the extension; not very slick, and it contains obsolete stuff like Mamblog and an old Joomlaboard forum which is very difficult to follow threads on.

Has anyone managed to get a good CB installation up and running, preferably including user image gallery and blogging, which would show CB off in a better light?

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #2 by Baze
I use CB (1.2) with integrated articles, gallery, forum (kunena), videos (seyret), personals (marketplace) and it's working perfectly.

CB is pretty tough for customization at first sight, but once you understand it, it works like a charm. Anyway, it's far from joomunity (options, look etc.) but as you've said it's too expensive so CB does the work for my site ;)

More
15 years 1 month ago #3 by Mr Livered
Thanks for the reply. Would you mind me taking a look?

More
15 years 1 month ago #4 by Baze
PM sent

More
15 years 1 month ago #5 by cowboysdude
Mr Livered wrote:

Hi

I am running a Kunena 1.0.8 site, and am really pleased with it. The temptation is to add CB (Joomunity is too expensive) to add profile-based features like user images and blogs. I'll probably wait for the integration to improve on the CB side, but in the meantime, what are people's experiences of CB?

I'm asking on this forum because I find joomlapolis.com to be a fairly poor advertisement for the extension; not very slick, and it contains obsolete stuff like Mamblog and an old Joomlaboard forum which is very difficult to follow threads on.

Has anyone managed to get a good CB installation up and running, preferably including user image gallery and blogging, which would show CB off in a better light?

Thank you.

No it's not bad and for the price [free] it's a great option. And yes it's hard to figure out some things but if you read their forums usually someone has had the same problem. I will say that their 'support' isn't very good and I think hiding by saying the program is free but the documentation is well by subscription... basically the program is free getting the manual will cost you. I personally feel that the whole 'free' thing should be just that. I LOVE this forum software not only because it's free but the support is OUTSTANDING in this community.

Work done by volunteers and their attitude is AWESOME... not to mention that they are not simply happy enough to make it good... they want it great and they believe in this...

Anyway, CB is a good option because of the price and you can seek help from those of us who have dealt with it ... I will also send you a pm you can look at my install.

More
15 years 1 month ago #6 by Mr Livered
cowboysdude wrote:

I will say that their 'support' isn't very good and I think hiding by saying the program is free but the documentation is well by subscription... basically the program is free getting the manual will cost you.

Yes, they say that if you want answers to detailed questions, you should subscribe to the documentation. That's fine once you have cb on your site but it's not worth subscribing to the docs just to decide whether cb is for you or not. I have a couple of questions that I didn't get the answers on their forums, maybe someone here can help:

I notice that to register on joomlapolis.com you can't have spaces in your username. That's no good to me; can cb be set to allow spaces?

Can users be imported from the Joomla core tables into cb reasonably easily?

Thanks!

More
15 years 1 month ago #7 by Baze
Mr Livered wrote:
Yes, they say that if you want answers to detailed questions, you should subscribe to the documentation. That's fine once you have cb on your site but it's not worth subscribing to the docs just to decide whether cb is for you or not. I have a couple of questions that I didn't get the answers on their forums, maybe someone here can help:

I notice that to register on joomlapolis.com you can't have spaces in your username. That's no good to me; can cb be set to allow spaces?

Can users be imported from the Joomla core tables into cb reasonably easily?

Thanks![/quote]

You can have users with spaces in their username (you can change the settings to allow all kind of characters in the username if you like) and all joomla users are already in cb ;)

if you need anything else let me know... i've spent enough time figuring out things to let you do the same :))

More
15 years 1 month ago #8 by Mr Livered
Much appreciated, thanks for replying :)

More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #9 by sozzled
My experience with Community Builder has been a very satisfactory one. Integrating Kunena with CB wasn't a major headache.

I agree, that the Joomlapolis website has been reticent about plans to integrate with Kunena. Whilst I'm pleased that CB 1.2 has been released as a Joomla 1.5 native extension, there are one or two features that didn't make it in the initial release, such as CAPTCHA as part of the registration process. (CAPTCHA is available for CB 1.2 provided you signup for the premium documentation service that costs €25.)

I had a couple of minor problems installing the modified "cbsimpleboardtab", CB tab for Kunena, but I found a workaround that overcame the problem .

Which makes me wonder what all the fuss seems to be about? From my perspective, Kunena works quite well alongside CB.

For my purposes, I'm quite pleased with the [tabbed] integration with other services, like Acajoom (for newsletters) and JoomGallery (for pictures). The best recommendation is to have a test site and try the software and see for yourself whether it meets your needs.
Last edit: 15 years 1 month ago by sozzled.

More
15 years 1 month ago #10 by core2
Mr L.. this is a very good question and this can be a good discussion! I'm running kunena + CB and no problem, but...

As you mention the look and the feel of joomlapolis isn't good (the frontpage is messy). They do run a old version of joomlaboard...

I will say thet the CB code is mature and solid, today I don't have any problem at all. But i inherit the site from the last webmaster some year ago running CB 1.0b and the noting worked! So they have fixed a lot of problem but release schedule is quite slow, and they release betas and release candidates (RC) that pepole start using in production environment. The last RC you had to pay for (no problem with that), but reported problem for latest stable in the forum (at joomlapolise) was replied with : "just update to latest RC, its much better anyway."

And people start discussing given the long period of paid RC if this component should be listed as commercial over at JED.

So what is CB? It is a bit of this and a bit of that.
- extend the user database
- user registration
- login
- user profile
- API for user related stuff
- user management
- user list

The two first item can be solved within J1.5 (and J1.6).
The profile can be solved by kunena, if you only looking for user image/avatar.
The API is not documented and differ from the old one.
The user management doesn't stand out compared the the one included in Joomla.

A local sport club, where I'm webmaster, mebers have to pay a yearly fee to use our gym. But everyone can register on our site and participate in the forum.
Some users register and never revisit our site, other users use our site for some years and move on. Therefor we have a need to clean our user database form time to time. This is not easily within CB. I have set up userlist based on last visit date etc, but I have to search the user manually in the CB-useradmin and block or delete them.
Because we are not able to keep the user database up to date our cashiser use excel to keep track of user paying fees. We probably miss grant/contribution from the government because we don't have a update user database.

I have been waiting for the CB paid subscription plugin for quite a long time, in hope of improving user management, and I have been looking at other solutions like AEC. Unfortunately it seems like the pricing of the CB paid subscription plugin is just to high for our community.

The default CB template isn't eye-catching, and the last announced paid template is just a copy of facebook! Why copy something that already exists?

I'm a bit concerned about the direction CB has taken the last years and have start thinking about what do I need CB for and looking for other components that can do the job.

So my question is do I really need it, and can I come up with other solutions?
If I could I would have leaved CB today.

Visit the Kunena documantation .

Time to create page: 0.367 seconds