Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This category contains miscellaneous, uncategorised third-party extensions (e.g. JomSocial, Community Builder, etc.) relating to older versions of Kunena that are no longer supported.

This category may also contain a few topics relating to K 1.6 that may have been moved here possibly by mistake.

The topics in this category are for historical interest only. Owing to the structural differences between K 1.6 and K 1.7, the ideas in these topics may not work with later versions and, for that reason, the topics are locked.

Question Shorten text in activity stream.

More
13 years 9 months ago #1 by tormito
Hi, my question is simple.
I really like this plugin, but its undesirable if show all text. It will be more simple that there will show only for example 100 characters and button like "read more" or something like that..

Its there some solution ??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #2 by fxstein
tormito wrote:

Hi, my question is simple.
I really like this plugin, but its undesirable if show all text. It will be more simple that there will show only for example 100 characters and button like "read more" or something like that..

Its there some solution ??

Yes you are right we need to do that. In fact I need this for a current project we are working on. Some of the posts fill entire pages and the resulting activity stream gets way too long. An alternative would be a minimizing java script on top of the activity stream, that only shows the first n lines, unless you click on it and it expands that message to full length.

We love stars on the Joomla Extension Directory . :-)

More
13 years 9 months ago #3 by tormito
Thanks lot, but which javascript exatly you mean ?

Thank you

More
13 years 9 months ago #4 by templarart
I ran into this problem too! Imagine a user posting a multi-page story in Kunena only to have the ENTIRE story overwhelm the front page of JomSocial!

This is how I fixed it - pretty easy:

I assume that you're using the default template for JomSocial. (Most of the other templates don't show content but if you're using a different template, just substitute the name for 'default' below.)

Edit /components/com_community/templates/default/activities.index.php

Not a big file...

Find: <?php echo $act->content; ?>

Change to: <?php echo substr($act->content,0,1000); ?>

You might want to change '1000' to however many characters you want to display.

Save and you're done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: deshivoicechat

More
13 years 7 months ago #5 by veeesh
Any way to target on kunena for shortening text?

More
13 years 7 months ago #6 by dylanphelan
I have done this, it works, shortening the kunena text in the jomsocial activity stream.

However - it cuts off the post in the middle of a word.

the 1000 refers to the number of carachters. Is there any way to limit the number of WORDS shown in the activity stream instead?

Ideally it should show X amount of words, then have a READ MORE link. ;)

More
13 years 7 months ago #7 by Fenrir
+1 to everything in this thread.

Let me know if I say something wrong in English's grammar or syntax

More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #8 by veeesh

I have done this, it works, shortening the kunena text in the jomsocial activity stream.

could you enlighten us on how you were able to shorten just the kunena text...applying the standard fix mentioned above shortens all text for posts (including videos, etc...)... we appreciate your expertise on this ...thanks
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by veeesh.

More
13 years 7 months ago #9 by dylanphelan
Well the kunena posts are the only long thing in my activity stream, so i was not worried about this being applied to anything other than the kunena posts.

My issue is however still not resolved, I cannot have words being cut off in the middle in the activity stream.

More
13 years 7 months ago #10 by veeesh

dylanphelan wrote: Well the kunena posts are the only long thing in my activity stream, so i was not worried about this being applied to anything other than the kunena posts.

My issue is however still not resolved, I cannot have words being cut off in the middle in the activity stream.

oh actually i addressed your issue by adding a "..." at the end of the post that is trimmed....however it then added a "..." to every item in recent activity

Time to create page: 0.451 seconds