Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This category contains miscellaneous, uncategorised third-party extensions (e.g. JomSocial, Community Builder, etc.) relating to older versions of Kunena that are no longer supported.

This category may also contain a few topics relating to K 1.6 that may have been moved here possibly by mistake.

The topics in this category are for historical interest only. Owing to the structural differences between K 1.6 and K 1.7, the ideas in these topics may not work with later versions and, for that reason, the topics are locked.

Question Signatures and message ordering for Community Builder users

More
15 years 1 week ago #1 by sozzled
This posting is mainly for itgl72 and for anyone else who uses Community Builder and is having problems coupling it with Kunena.

The current situation, as I understand it, is that Kunena developers are working with CB developers; CB's development team had other priorities that have prevented them completing their work in time for the release of Kunena 1.0.9. At the moment, it is definitely possible to use Kunena 1.0.9 with Community Builder 1.2, however there is no "official" solution: the solution is obtained by users having to perform a few hacks and workarounds. It is possible that these non-automated procedures may need to be reapplied in the future releases of either software but we're forever hopeful that the problems we've experienced for the past three months will be overcome soon.

Joomlapolis has refrained from providing details of the timeframe for when the Community Builder development activities will be completed.

In the meantime ...

It is possible, using the famous Tony Woodhouse kludge , to implement the CB forum tab. It's childsplay and I've never had any problems with it.

The only problem that hasn't been solved is the ability to modify, from a user's Community Builder profile, the message ordering and signature for the forum. The simplest solution that I've found is to completely disable the ability to edit these settings in Community Builder (it's merely a matter of unpublishing a tab).

The next matter is how to allow users the means to change message ordering and/or their signatures. Again, the solution is simple: don't use Community Builder profiles when your configuring Kunena.

OK, I agree that nobbling CB has disadvantages - not the least of which is that it confuses the users as to how and where they have to adjust certain settings - and we might ask why these two products dont work together causing us to have to duplicate things unnecessarily. But that's the price to pay, in the short term, if we're going to tackle important issues.

As long as it concerns signatures and message ordering (and involves Community Builder and Kunena, obviously), if anyone wants specific details on what settings need to be changed, please respond to this thread.

Cheers

sozz :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 week ago #2 by mjanzen128
Here is what I did, based on a mod by rockandchelle, baboon and JoomlaRuleZ.
Code:
if ($fbConfig->fb_profile == "cb" && $fbConfig->fb_profile && $fmessage->userid > 0) { unset($cbinfo); $database->setQuery("SELECT * FROM #__comprofiler where user_id='$fmessage->userid'"); $database->loadObject($cbinfo); if ($cbinfo->cb_gender != '') { $gender = $cbinfo->cb_gender; if (strcasecmp($gender,"male")==0) { $userinfo->gender = 1; } if (strcasecmp($gender,"female")==0) { $userinfo->gender = 2; } } if ($cbinfo->cb_personaltext != '') { $userinfo->personalText = $cbinfo->cb_personaltext; } if ($cbinfo->cb_icq != '') { $userinfo->ICQ = $cbinfo->cb_icq; } if ($cbinfo->cb_location != '') { $userinfo->location = $cbinfo->cb_location; } if ($cbinfo->cb_birthday != '') { $userinfo->birthdate = $cbinfo->cb_birthday; if (strcasecmp($cbinfo->cb_showage,"no") == 0 ) { $userinfo->birthdate = substr($cbinfo->cb_birthday,5,5); } } if ($cbinfo->cb_aim != '') { $userinfo->AIM = $cbinfo->cb_aim; } if ($cbinfo->cb_msn != '') { $userinfo->MSN = $cbinfo->cb_msn; } if ($cbinfo->cb_yim != '') { $userinfo->YIM = $cbinfo->cb_yim; } if ($cbinfo->cb_skype != '') { $userinfo->SKYPE = $cbinfo->cb_skype; } if ($cbinfo->cb_gtalk != '') { $userinfo->GTALK = $cbinfo->cb_gtalk; } if ($cbinfo->cb_websiteurl != '') { $userinfo->websiteurl = $cbinfo->cb_websiteurl; } if ($cbinfo->cb_websitename != '') { $userinfo->websitename = $cbinfo->cb_websitename; } if ($cbinfo->cb_signature != '') { $userinfo->signature = $cbinfo->cb_signature; } }
The signature one is the one I added to it, and it controls all of the "profile on the forum" options. Just add the code to your view.php file BELOW the part...
Code:
//Get userinfo needed later on, this limits the amount of queries unset($userinfo); $database->setQuery("SELECT a.*,b.name,b.username,b.gid FROM #__fb_users as a LEFT JOIN #__users as b on b.id=a.userid where a.userid='$fmessage->userid'"); $database->loadObject($userinfo);

BUT make sure you have all those profile options and make sure the cb_whatever it is is correct or you might have issues.

More
15 years 1 week ago #3 by sozzled
That's a very interesting suggestion, mjanzen128. Which file is being changed here I should like to look at the effects of these changes before I comment.

Thank you. :)

More
15 years 1 week ago #4 by mjanzen128
It's the view.php file, found in whichever template folder your using.

More
15 years 1 week ago #5 by sozzled
mjanzen128 wrote:

BUT make sure you have all those profile options and make sure the cb_whatever it is is correct or you might have issues.

I think this statement means, add the following fields to your CB user database: gender, personaltext, icq, location, birthday, showage, aim, msn, yim, skype, gtalk, websiteurl, websitename, signature. Why would you need to add another field for signature when there's already one inbuilt. Would this not also conflict with the "standard" CB profile editing feature that allows users to change their signature?

Can you confirm that my guesses about these additional fields are correct (not just for my benefit but also for others who may be interested in this discussion)? Thanks.

More
15 years 1 week ago #6 by mjanzen128
Yes, your guess is correct. When it comes to explaining, I sometimes ramble on and it ends up making sense, but confusing at the same time.
And yes, it seems like it would conflict, but it doesnt. Even if you have CB enabled show the profile in Kunena (which you need it to work the code I have up there) it won't conflict at all.

More
15 years 1 week ago #7 by sozzled
Ah ... thanks. In effect what we're saying is that you need to duplicate nearly all the Kunena fields in Community Builder and you need to ensure that the user registration process populates this information in a correct manner. (Another way of saying let's re-invent the wheel. ;) )

Fair enough. I might experiment with the approach but it's not one that I'd advocate to novice users who want an out-of-the-box, futureproofed solution.

More
15 years 3 days ago #8 by mjanzen128
It could be. Well, I already had all those inside my community builder, so I guess I didn't technically reinvent the wheel when I used his code. But I guess if you don't already have the profile fields, then yes, you could be.

I'm pretty sure Kunena 1.5.1 will have an out of the box thing anyway from what I've been reading, so novice users probably needn't wait too much longer.

More
15 years 2 days ago #9 by Matias
The feature is already in 1.0.9 and will be improved to 1.0.10. We are just waiting an official announcement from CB team (they choose to reimplement the whole integration). :)

Time to create page: 0.476 seconds