Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Question Migrating phpBB3 to Kunena for use with Joomla 1.7 & Jomsocial?

More
12 years 6 months ago #1 by callena
Hi all,
We have a well established website which I'm redeveloping from static HTML files into Joomla. At the same time we are adding JomSocial and are going to swap from phpBB3 to Kunena as the integration is much slicker with Joomla & JS!

Can anyone advise me on what happens once you have used the migrator to get everything from the large phpBB3 db into Kunena. What access do the users have - do they need to reregister or can they simply reset their passwords and be set up with a linked JomSocial account at the same time?

Any advise would be greatfully received - if you have done something similar I would love to hear your experiences to help me avoid too many problems along the way!
Many thanks.
Sadie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #2 by xillibit
Hello,

With the actual version of migrator, all users need to reset their passwords.

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.
The following user(s) said Thank You: callena

More
12 years 6 months ago #3 by callena
Thanks for the reply. Do you know what happens with regards to the user then having a Joomla / Jomsocial account set up?

Is there any way that when they reset their passwords they set up a Jomsocial account at the same time? Or do I need to do an additional step to get Kunena(phpBB3) users to have a Jomsocial account?

Many thanks,
Sadie

More
12 years 6 months ago #4 by CLASSIX
make sure all mailing is off or do the DB migration at local level or as you migrate it will try to mail all of your members on phpbb3 db
The following user(s) said Thank You: callena

More
12 years 6 months ago #5 by callena
Thanks for the reply - I had spotted in a thread above that there was a risk of it emailing out all members, I'd definately like to avoid this. Especially as I am installing it first on a testing URL to make sure everything works ok!

Do you know if there is a guide to turning off email notifications in Kunena anywhere to make sure I get all the settings right to avoid this?
Thanks for your help & advice
Sadie

More
12 years 6 months ago #6 by ZYNC
In my case, the phpbb3 forum is quite small, less than 2MB mysql database and total members is less than 300. Anyway after using the importer, here are my observations.

1. User IDs are kept.
2. There's automatic profile for Jomsocial. When I clicked a username in the Kunena forum, I was automatically moved to that user's Jomsocial profile with option to write on her wall, make friend request and other usual options in Jomsocial.
3. Category IDs are kept, even the sequence as it appeared in my phpbb3 installation.
4. The same with the posts - who wrote what are kept intact together with posting time.

What was not carried over on my end is the number of views. All turned to "0" and started over again in Kunena. No big deal to me, anyway.

My installs: Joomla 1.7.2, Kunena 1.7, Jomsocial 2.2.4

Time to create page: 0.496 seconds