Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Question Mootools and Kunena 1.6

More
13 years 6 months ago #1 by fxstein

There has been a lot of talk why Kunena switched to MooTools for our Javascript framework needs and why, in particular, with version 1.2.x  that comes default with Joomla 1.5.19+ and 1.6.0.

I'd like to shine some light on the background of the ins and outs, clear up some confusion, and maybe provide some insight into why we believe this is one of the better decisions we have made since the start of Kunena.

When Kunena 1.0 started from the ashes of Fireboard, Joomlaboard, Simpleboard and the like, it came with Javascript based on the very popular jQuery framework. We enhanced and developed more and more features using jQuery, upgraded the libraries and kept moving forward with that direction.

More and more often we would get reports about broken Javascript and loss of the bbcode editor, quickreply and minimizer functionality on various sites. For almost a year, we tried to develop solutions to prevent our jQuery libraries from crashing with other jQuery libraries from various templates and third-party components. As it turns out jQuery (as all other frameworks would probably do) crash when on a given page two different versions of the same library are included.

So we wrote code with that between components like JomSocial and Kunena would result in the load of only a single copy of the libraries.

After dealing with these issues for many months and countless forum threads that last to this very day and after talking to various Joomla core developers and architects we came to the conclusion that we have been at this totally wrong for the longest time.

Read more...

We love stars on the Joomla Extension Directory . :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: weaklinks
The topic has been locked.
More
13 years 6 months ago #2 by xreliable
Replied by xreliable on topic MooTools and Kunena 1.6
thank you. I believe this is the best approach. the jquery mootools argument is beside the point really! the 3pd who approach their product with a "ours is best, adjust to us" make life miserable for their customers and ultimately I agree 100% Bad Websites. Keep up the good work.
More
13 years 4 months ago #3 by gwmbox
Replied by gwmbox on topic Re: Mootools and Kunena 1.6
Hi guys, sorry to slightly hijack this thread but it is related... in sorts :)

So anyway I have been out of the loop for a little while, so am I correct in that Mootools is now the 'must use' or 'recommended' js language to now use over jQuery for Joomla as a whole with (or without) Kunena?

If so I better get started on converting my site over to Mootools.

Is there a way for me to find out what plug-ins/extensions I have that depend on jQuery?

Thanks

GW
Time to create page: 0.484 seconds