Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question SEF URLs in Kunena Latest Module not working properly

More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #1 by Linuus
Hi!

The urls in the Latest module are not working properly when SEF is ON.

They show up like: .../component/kunena/.....Itemid=0#14
because the itemID is wrong/not found by Kunena.

If I go to the forum page in my Main Menu the links are working properly.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

I'm using J1.7.2 and K1.7.1 and the latest version of Latest Module.
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by sozzled. Reason: Change topic icon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #2 by sozzled
Does this happen here at www.kunena.org ? Where does this happen? Can we see your configuration report, please? Have you read Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) in the Wiki? Perhaps it's got something to do with your Joomla menu? When we have answers to these questions, we may be able to help. Thank you.

Did you resolved the problem Search plugin doesn't work ?
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #3 by Linuus
Thank you for the quick reply.

It happens on the site I'm building, of course :)

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Legacy mode: Disabled | Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Enabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 30 seconds | Max execution memory: 32M | Max file upload: 100M

Joomla default template details : rt_gantry_j16 | author: RocketTheme, LLC | version: 3.2.5 | creationdate: June 1, 2011

Kunena default template details : Example Template | author: Kunena Team | version: 1.7.1 | creationdate: 2011-11-16

Kunena version detailled: Installed version: 1.7.1 | Build: 5162 | Version name: UnderUret | Kunena detailled configuration:

Warning: Spoiler!

Third-party components: None

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: System - Mootools Upgrade: Disabled | System - Mootools12: Disabled | Kunena Search 1.7.0

Modules: Kunena Latest 1.7.1

I gave up on the search plugin. Have not tried to make it work since I posted in that thread.

EDIT: Actually, I still have the plugin, but it generates the faulty URLs, just like the module.
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by Linuus.

More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #4 by sozzled
You wrote something about an "error message" with the Kunena Search plugin (BTW, you should uninstall it if you're not using it, or at least, upgrade to the correct version).

The fact that the problem doesn't happen on this site would suggest that there is Joomla configuration issue with your site. Would you agree with that?

I think the reason that you are having problems is because of your Joomla menu. You asked a question on that subject a long time ago Active menu items doesn't work and what you did has probably caused all your problems. If you want to learn more about creating a custom menu, please read Customised Menus in the Wiki. Once you get your Joomla menu issues solved, this problem with SEF URLs will probably be solved, too.
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 4 months ago #5 by Linuus
Thanks for the quick reply again.

I followed this guide when I created the menu for Kunena.

Creating Kunena menu items from scratch
You MUST create a main menu item of type "Entry Page"
If you want your main menu item to point to a specific view of the forum (ex: a category)
Create a submenu item of (ex) Category
Choose the category you want to show
In the main menu item created in step 1 set the "Default Menu Item" choose the desired submenu item.
Note: DON'T create a single main menu item of a type other than "Entry Page" or else you will get the "Warning: Using direct link to Kunena component. No suitable menu item found." error.

I'm a bit unsure what you actually mean with the last "Note" though?

This is the hierarchy that I created in my "mainmenu"
cl.ly/2C2l2p1G39320G0J2m0L

The "Entry Page" is set to have the "Category Index" as the default menu item.

Anything that seems wrong in the menu setup?

More
12 years 4 months ago #6 by sozzled
It's a bit difficult to know whether you've done everything "right" or not because we can't see your website. Are you running this on a XAMPP/WAMP type of server?

Joomla menus are actually not the easiest part of Joomla to work with (and that's why we have so many questions relating to Joomla menus on this forum). However, once you get the hang of Joomla menus, SEF URLs seem to resolve themselves very quickly. My advice is KISS . I suggest that you go back to the default menu arrangement and make sure that SEF URLs work with that. For the more adventurous, you can create your own menu, but sometimes it takes a bit of practice to get these things done right.

That's my advice, for what it's worth. I hope it helps.

More
12 years 3 months ago #7 by Linuus
Sorry for a late reply here. I have had a lot to do lately. Back on the issue now.

So, I re-created the "Kunena Menu" using the function in the Kunena component. Then the SEF urls works fine in the module. The thing is that I don't want to use the tabs in the forum and the "Kunena Menu". I want the links directly in my "Main Menu".

- That is doable, right?

The question is how... I think I've tried everything in the docs but I can't get it to work!

I tried to clone the entire Kunena Menu into my main menu, but as soon as I remove the Kunena Menu the SEF url's are broken again.

Do I have to use the Kunena Menu and the tabs inside the component??

Regards
Linus

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #8 by sozzled

Linuus wrote: That is doable, right?

Sure is, but it I don't know what the Kunena Latest module has to do with the issue.

The issue requires an understanding of Joomla, nothing more than that. SEF URLs are generated by Joomla. Therefore you have to get Joomla working properly. There are two aspects involved in creating SEF URLs:

(1) Enabling Joomla's Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) features; and

(2) Setting up your Joomla menu correctly. In this regard, you need to understand the advice given in Customised menus . Creating menus in Joomla is one of the trickier things to understand.

You do not have to publish any of the Kunena menu tabs if you don't want to.
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 3 months ago #9 by Linuus
Thank you for the quick reply sozzled.

sozzled wrote:

Linuus wrote: That is doable, right?

Sure is, but it I don't know what the Kunena Latest module has to do with the issue.

Well, when not using the "Kunena Menu" the module Kunena Latest cannot create the URL's properly.

sozzled wrote: The issue requires an understanding of Joomla, nothing more than that. SEF URLs are generated by Joomla. Therefore you have to get Joomla working properly. There are two aspects involved in creating SEF URLs:

(1) Enabling Joomla's Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) features; and

(2) Setting up your Joomla menu correctly. In this regard, you need to understand the advice given in Customised menus . Creating menus in Joomla is one of the trickier things to understand.

You do not have to publish any of the Kunena menu tabs if you don't want to.

And yes, I know that Joomla generates the SEF URL's and that I have to set it up properly. But I have followed the guides and it doesn't work.
I mean, if I:
1. Use the function in Kunena to generate the "Kunena Menu" which seems to make the module work properly,
2. then copying the entire menu to my "Main Menu"
3. then removing the "Kunena Menu" - The URL's breaks.

Then it seems that Kunena _requires_ the "Kunena Menu". Is that correct?

If not, how can it not be properly setup when Kunena itself has created the menu items? :)

I have fiddled around a bit more and the solution seems to be to just use aliases in the Main Menu that points to the Kunena Menu. In the docs you can read this:

PS. If you want to keep your forum highlighted, you should use the same alias in both Kunena Menu and your main menu item.

This is NOT possible in Joomla and what you need to do is to leave the alias field empty.

So, hopefully I will manage to create the menu items correctly now. Maybe the docs are correct but I thought I either could use aliases OR just create the menu items directly in my Main Menu. It should be added that the "Kunena Menu" may NOT be removed as the component/modules depends on this to exists to be able to handle the URL's properly.

Anyway... Thank you for your help and hopefully I will be able to create everything correctly now! :)

Thanks!

More
12 years 3 months ago #10 by sozzled
I'm pleased that everything works. Whatever works is always a good solution. Once you get things working, then you can change things a little at a time. If something breaks after you've made a change then you know that what you've tried to do is not the right way to go about things.

Does Kunena require its Kunena menu module? No, it doesn't. But that may not necessarily mean that everything works, either.

I think we can park this topic in the archive for now. Other people reading this topic will see what they might need to do to achieve a resolution of problems that they've been having.

The solution lies in understanding how Joomla menus work. That's always been difficult. :)

Time to create page: 0.442 seconds