Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question Upgrade 1.6.0 to 1.6.2

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #1 by MJW
Upgrade 1.6.0 to 1.6.2 was created by MJW
Hello, I am getting this error when I try to upgrade to 1.6.2 "There was an error uploading this file to the server." "Unable to find install package" I have Joomla 1.5.22. I have read the other posts on this subject and think perhaps there is a limit to the size of file I can upload but I'm afraid I don't know where to look to find or change the limit.

I would much appreciate your advice please. Thank you.
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by MJW.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #2 by xillibit
Replied by xillibit on topic Re: Upgrade 1.6.0 to 1.6.2
Hello,

This doc should help : docs.kunena.org/index.php/Installation_Issues

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

More
13 years 3 months ago #3 by MJW
Replied by MJW on topic Re: Upgrade 1.6.0 to 1.6.2
Thank you for your reply. I have found the php settings and they are OK so I tried again but still get the same message "There was an error uploading this file to the server." "Unable to find install package" . I am really sorry to ask but I am a virtual novice and I am not sure where to unpack the files. Have I understood correctly that I need to unzip the Kunena download and send it via ftp to a new directory which I should name Kunena temp. Then when I have done that I go to the back end install manager and have a go at installing from that temp directory?

More
13 years 3 months ago #4 by sozzled

MJW wrote: Have I understood correctly that I need to unzip the Kunena download and send it via ftp to a new directory which I should name Kunena temp. Then when I have done that I go to the back end install manager and have a go at installing from that temp directory?

This is not normally how you would install other Joomla extensions.

Do you know how to install Joomla extensions? Joomla provides three ways for you to install Joomla extensions:

(1) You can copy the installation kit from this website to your PC and then use the first option to upload the .ZIP file to your website and the installation process will continue from that point.

(2) You can copy the installation kit to your temporary directory and you can install it from there (whether you use the compressed or uncompressed version).

(3) You can install Kunena by pointing your website to the URL of this website where the installation kit is located.
The following user(s) said Thank You: webwannabee

More
13 years 3 months ago #5 by MJW
Hello Sozzled, Thank you very much indeed for your reply. I'm really sorry to be such a dummy but I am still have problems. I cannot install this component via the first method, which is the one I normally use. After reading you helpful reply I have tried method 2.

I uploaded the file via ftp to my public html tmp file then I put this path into the install from directory option via this path "/home/ariegeau/public_html/tmp/comp_kunena_v1.6.2._b3894_2010-12-20.zip" and I got this message "Please enter a package directory".

I also tried "install from URL" by imputting www.kunena.org/download/comp_kunena_v1.6...b3894_2010-12-20.zip

and I got these messages

* JFolder::files: Path does not point to a valid folder or the folder has been deleted.
* JFolder::folder: Path does not point to a valid folder or the folder has been deleted.
* JFolder::files: Path does not point to a valid folder or the folder has been deleted.
* Error! Could not find a Joomla! XML setup file in the package.

Notice: Array to string conversion in /home/ariegeau/public_html/libraries/joomla/installer/helper.php on line 64

Warning: array_merge() [function.array-merge]: Argument #1 is not an array in /home/ariegeau/public_html/libraries/joomla/installer/helper.php on line 142

Warning: array_merge() [function.array-merge]: Argument #2 is not an array in /home/ariegeau/public_html/libraries/joomla/installer/helper.php on line 142

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/ariegeau/public_html/libraries/joomla/installer/helper.php on line 187
Unable to find install package

I realise I must be doing something stupidly wrong and I really would appreciate your further advice please.

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #6 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Upgrade 1.6.0 to 1.6.2

MJW wrote: I really would appreciate your further advice please.

This is the installation method, from help.joomla.org/content/view/1476/278/ with a few modifications:

• Upload Package File: Use the following steps to browse to the location where you downloaded the Kunena package file then press "Upload File & Install". Joomla! will read the contents of the archive file and install Kunena.
  1. 1. Download the archive file (normally ".zip" format) from Download area to a local directory on your computer. We sometimes call this the Kunena "installation kit".
  2. 2. Use the "Browse" button in the "Upload Package File" to browse to the archive file.
  3. 3. Use the "Upload Package File" button to install the Extension. Joomla! then unpacks the archive file and installs Kunena.

• Install from Directory: As an alternative to installing from an archive file, you can follow the steps below:
    1. 1. Create a temporary directory on your local hard drive and unpack Kunena installation kit in this temporary directory.
    2. 2. Using FTP, upload the contents of this directory (including files and subdirectories) to a directory on your server.
    3. 3. In the Install Directory field specify the directory where you have uploaded the files and subdirectories of the package.
    4. 4. Click on the Install button and Joomla! will install the contents of the given directory.

• Install from URL: A third alternative for installing Kunena is as follows. Instead of downloading the archive file to your local computer, just specify the URL of the target archive file. Then click the "Install" button and Joomla! automatically installs it directly from this URL. Note that, with this method, you will not have a copy of the archive file on your local computer.
    • For our purposes, the URL of the installation kit file is
      Code:
      http://joomlacode.org/gf/download/frsrelease/13390/59237/com_kunena_v1.6.2_b3894_2010-12-29.zip
    • For many people, this is actually the preferred method of installing Kunena.

To upgrade Kunena from an earlier version, follow the same installation procedure above. This will then run the Kunena installer program on your website that will complete the upgrade process.
    Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by sozzled.

More
    13 years 3 months ago #7 by MJW
    Hello Sozzled, Many thanks indeed for your continued help. I copied the url you kindly gave me and pasted it into the third installation option in the extension manager but I'm afraid even that didn't work I had this message
    • Failed reading network resource: Non-static method JError::raiseWarning() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context
    • Invalid URL

Notice: Array to string conversion in /home/ariegeau/public_html/libraries/joomla/installer/helper.php on line 64
    Unable to find install package

I suppose there must be something wrong with my Joomla installation but I was able to install the latest posts module a couple of days ago without any problem and I have installed many components etc without problems before. So I am really at a loss to guess what might be wrong now.

More
    13 years 3 months ago #8 by sozzled
    Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Upgrade 1.6.0 to 1.6.2
    Yes, there certainly does seem to be something very peculiar with your Joomla site (or with something needed by Joomla to install Kunena) and you need to attend to whatever that "something" is.

Looks like your Joomla is broken. We could toss this back and forth for the next few days while I ask you more questions ... or you could start by looking at your own ways to fix the problem. What do you want me to do? Is there any more information that you have not given us that you haven't already given us up to now?

More
    13 years 3 months ago #9 by MJW
    Hello Sozzled, I really do appreciate all your help with this and I am sorry to be so awkward. There isn't any further information I can think of which I haven't given you. However, I did have a lot of trouble with the last Joomla upgrade to 1.5.22, it wouldn't install for several tries then suddenly went on OK without me doing anything different from what I had tried before. I do have a lot of modules and plugins on my site and all I can think is that there is possibly some conflict somewhere but I don't know enough to know where to start to look. I also know that the site uses a lot of memory and I had to move to a VPS because it was overloading a shared server. I dont know if that is helpful information to you.

Would it be an idea to uninstall the Kunena I have and then try to install this latest version?

More
    13 years 2 months ago #10 by MJW
    Hello again Sozzled, Just to let you know, I have just changed my server and I am now able to upload updates with the third method you suggested. Thank you very much indeed for all your help.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: sozzled

Time to create page: 0.533 seconds