K5.1.1 is released (10 Jun 2018)

The Kunena team is pleased to announce Kunena 5.1.1 [K 5.1.1].
Please read the blog post for information:

× This category is for K 1.7 issues only.

Question General information request: upgrading from K 1.6 to K 1.7

More
6 years 4 months ago #1 by Shags
Hello all and apologies straight up if this is not the right area to ask this...

I am looking into the virtue of upgrading from 1.6.3 up to 1.7.2.

Would like to know a list of what upgrades/revisions would be implemented in making this change as well as request information on how to implement the upgrade without altering or losing all of my forums posts, Catergory images and layouts.

Phill.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #2 by sozzled
G'day, Shags, and welcome to Kunena. I have moved your topic to a more appropriate category.

Thank you for an interesting range of questions. Most of your questions are answered by reading K 1.6 and K 1.7 Upgrade Guide and studying the links that are referred to in that document.

The "virtues" (as you used the term) of upgrading are:

(1) You will have support from this community when you upgrade. K 1.6.3 and any add-ons (including Kunena templates) that you may be using - written by the Kunena team or by other developers - are not supported and, if you continue to use them, they probably will not work with K 1.7.2.

(2) You will not "alter" or lose any forum posts.

(3) If you are using the Blue Eagle template written for K 1.6.3 it will automatically be upgraded to the new version

(4) Any custom category images that you were using will not be lost.

(5) Layouts - I assume you mean custom templates or modifications made to Kunena 1.6 source files - that is more complicated to answer. It depends what kinds of layout changes you may have made. We have always advised members of the community not to directly modify Kunena source files unless they know what they are doing, how to do it, and take the responsibility for maintaining those changes whenever they have to upgrade later on.

I have answered your questions in general terms and I hope that this information helps. For the most part, however, you should find that the actual procedure of upgrading from K 1.6.3 to K 1.7.2 takes less than a minute. The preparation time beforehand (reading the documents I have referred you to and upgrading other components that you may also be using) will take you significantly longer.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shags

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds