Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This category is for K 1.7 issues only.

Idea Did you just rename everything?

More
12 years 6 months ago #1 by Acapulco Kevin
I have looked over your extensions directory and I see you show modules for K1.5 and 1.6 but not for K1.7.

On the download page you show the very same modules that were for k1.5 and k1.6 as now being for k1.7 I don't see any code changes in the modules. It appears you are just offering the same old modules with a new name that have not been changed to be compatible with Joomla 1.7 even though you have renamed everything to 1.7.

My point is this, none of your modules listed as 1.7.0 are compatible with Joomla 1.7 or Jomsocial 2.2.4

I have tried the following modules:

Kunena Discuss Plug-in 1.7.0 will cause Core Dumps on my serer and post 1500 duplicates.

Kunena Latest Module 1.7.0 Does not work because the activity stream for Jomsocial will not work with Kunena Forum 1.7

JomSocial Kunena Menu Plug-in 1.7.0 Does not work with Jomsocial 2.2 when Joomla! 1.7 if SEO is enabled.

When do you intend to fix all the broken software you are currently destroying peoples websites and databases with?

I have asked you guys for help several times and you blame the problems on Jomsocial (Azrul).
I am starting to think it is time for me to contact Joomla! and Azrul and posting this information on their forums and the JED so that people will think twice about using your software until you get your act together.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #2 by severdia

Acapulco Kevin wrote: I have looked over your extensions directory and I see you show modules for K1.5 and 1.6 but not for K1.7.

If you're referring to the official Kunena plug-ins and modules, they are here on the downloads page:

www.kunena.org/download

Acapulco Kevin wrote: On the download page you show the very same modules that were for k1.5 and k1.6 as now being for k1.7 I don't see any code changes in the modules. It appears you are just offering the same old modules with a new name that have not been changed to be compatible with Joomla 1.7 even though you have renamed everything to 1.7.

Not sure what you're trying to say by "same old modules with a new name." Software isn't a shirt you can just slap a new label on. It either works or it doesn't. In the extensions section of the download page, the first sentence says "The Kunena Team has released a few extensions compatible with Kunena 1.7..." Hopefully, that's really clear the extensions are indeed compatible with Kunena 1.7. Most of the versions of Kunena 1. 7 have new languages, and about half have changes to the code. Just because there weren't any changes in code to some of them doesn't mean they're "old" or don't work with the latest version.

Acapulco Kevin wrote: My point is this, none of your modules listed as 1.7.0 are compatible with Joomla 1.7 or Jomsocial 2.2.4

Yes, they are. And Kunena is compatible with Joomla 1.7 as well (as also noted on the downloads page). The Kunena team works closely with the JomSocial team to ensure maximum compatibility.

Acapulco Kevin wrote: I have tried the following modules:

Kunena Discuss Plug-in 1.7.0 will cause Core Dumps on my serer and post 1500 duplicates.

Kunena Latest Module 1.7.0 Does not work because the activity stream for Jomsocial will not work with Kunena Forum 1.7

JomSocial Kunena Menu Plug-in 1.7.0 Does not work with Jomsocial 2.2 when Joomla! 1.7 if SEO is enabled.

When do you intend to fix all the broken software you are currently destroying peoples websites and databases with?

Well, since there are many more websites left to destroy, we'll leave things "broken." :P

In all seriousness, this is a community support forum. Coming in here guns-a-blazin' isn't the best way to get help for your issues. All of the official Kunena extensions have been tested on a wide range of setups (including this website) and are pretty solid. I encourage you to work through your individual issues on the forum. Remember, Kunena is free. And one of the best ways for it to get better is when people who use it contribute back. That contribution can be in the form of code, feedback, testing or wide range of things. You can either help make it better or you can throw your hands in the air, scream (or the equivalent thereof) that it sucks, or get hostile on the forums. None of those things help.

Acapulco Kevin wrote: I have asked you guys for help several times and you blame the problems on Jomsocial (Azrul).
I am starting to think it is time for me to contact Joomla! and Azrul and posting this information on their forums and the JED so that people will think twice about using your software until you get your act together.

It's not a "blame game." If the bugs are in Kunena, we'll fix them. If they're in JomSocial, then that's where they are and nobody else can fix them but the JomSocial team. You actually PAID them to fix bugs.

Speaking of paying, we can also offer paid support contracts that give you priority support. That means you pay a monthly fee and you are the team's number one priority. If you're in the business of building websites for a living, you're making money of off Kunena and Joomla anyway, so you might consider your issues a top priority. Get in touch if that's of interest to you.

Author of Using Joomla from O'Reilly Media. | www.usingjoomlabook.com

More
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #3 by Acapulco Kevin
I'm not drunk or on drugs - I am not hallucinating all of this.

I am also not the first to point out these exact same issues. I am using Joomla 1.7.1 the very latest version. Kunena 1.7.0 the very latest version. Jomsocial 2.2.4 the very latest version.

Kunena Discuss WILL NOT work correctly and in order to get minimal functionality you must disable Jomsocial Activity Stream integration in Kunena 1.7.0 therefore - Kunena Latest module will not function.

My server far exceeds your minimum requirements. My software is up to date. These very same issues have been recently discussed in your forums under those topics. Nothing has been solved and in some cases are not answered for days or weeks.

I don't mean to seem hostile - I am only pointing to facts.
I am more than happy to give you a hosting account on my server if you want to test this environment.

And it is a Blame Game ... Xillibit said it is Jomsocial's fault because their API sucks.
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by Acapulco Kevin.

More
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #4 by severdia

Acapulco Kevin wrote: I am also not the first to point out these exact same issues.

Great, so let's focus on getting things sorted out.

Acapulco Kevin wrote: I am using Joomla 1.7.1 the very latest version. Kunena 1.7.0 the very latest version. Jomsocial 2.2.4 the very latest version.

Keep in mind that you are considered an "early adopter" if you are using Joomla 1.6/1.7. Neither of them are long-term releases and are considered "stable" versions leading up to the LTS in January. That means they haven't had the same amount of testing and hardening as Joomla 1.5. So along with being an early adopter, you have to be prepared for the drawbacks of what means—software that isn't as mature.

Acapulco Kevin wrote: Kunena Discuss WILL NOT work correctly and in order to get minimal functionality you must disable Jomsocial Activity Stream integration in Kunena 1.7.0 therefore - Kunena Latest module will not function.

Have you reported the issues on the bug tracker on GitHub?

github.com/Kunena

Acapulco Kevin wrote: My server far exceeds your minimum requirements. My software is up to date. These very same issues have been recently discussed in your forums under those topics. Nothing has been solved and in some cases are not answered for days or weeks.

Remember that this is a community support forum. The team tries to do what they can, but we all have day jobs outside of Kunena and therefore can't be giving support 24/7. On top of that, our "Master Moderator Michael" has been on vacation for a few weeks and should be due to return shortly. So the main guy that helps channel information and take some of the load hasn't been around.

Acapulco Kevin wrote: I don't mean to seem hostile - I am only pointing to facts.
I am more than happy to give you a hosting account on my server if you want to test this environment.

You can lay out facts in a way that doesn't come across hostile. Any open source project is a two-way street. Re-adjust your expectations to include the fact that we're all volunteers. We do the best we can with out volunteer time, but it's not an incentive to help you if you're flying off the handle. Quite the contrary.

Acapulco Kevin wrote: And it is a Blame Game ... Xillibit said it is Jomsocial's fault because their API sucks.

No, it isn't. If he said that, it's his personal opinion. And their API does kinda suck. :)

Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by severdia.

More
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #5 by Acapulco Kevin
Jomsocial's API might suck but so does their support.
Dealing with programmers from India is always a disaster.
They are sleeping when America is awake so you can always expect a response 12 - 24 hours later.
And they don't give you any ideas but always want server access - I don't like them in my server.

I will submit the bug issues to github as you suggest.

I like Kunena stuff... I don't sell it, run banner advertisements or sell stuff to my members. This is just a hobby and at times - a frustrating hobby. I appreciate that you folks are responsive though I would prefer a fix or idea as to if this is even being looked into.

I was needing the new Joomla for a long time, the improvements are astronomical - the ACL is exceptional. They made very well planned changes and I am not ashamed of being an early adopter. I trashed my old site and hosting and rented a server so I can play with all of the new toys.
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by Acapulco Kevin.

More
12 years 6 months ago #6 by severdia

Acapulco Kevin wrote: Jomsocial's API might suck but so does their support.
Dealing with programmers from India is always a disaster.
They are sleeping when America is awake so you can always expect a response 12 - 24 hours later.
And they don't give you any ideas but always want server access - I don't like them in my server.

It's an issue when cost is more important than quality. For some Joomla companies, that's the most important thing.

Acapulco Kevin wrote: I like Kunena stuff... I don't sell it, run banner advertisements or sell stuff to my members. This is just a hobby and at times - a frustrating hobby. I appreciate that you folks are responsive though I would prefer a fix or idea as to if this is even being looked into.

Every reported issue is looked into, but that means different things for different issues. Some things just aren't solvable because of the codebase inherited from Fireboard. That changes with Kunena 2.0.

Acapulco Kevin wrote: I was needing the new Joomla for a long time, the improvements are astronomical - the ACL is exceptional. They made very well planned changes and I am not ashamed of being an early adopter. I trashed my old site and hosting and rented a server so I can play with all of the new toys.

Yes, there are improvements and there are still some severe drawbacks. But things are being worked out for the 2.5 release in January and hopefully, there will be even more stability and UI improvements by then.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Acapulco Kevin

More
12 years 6 months ago #7 by Acapulco Kevin
You mentioned you have a payment model available for support and when you change your support model to paid support like it seems many involved with Joomla! have already done - I will definitely be a subscriber.

The only reason I would subscribe is because you normally have a very good product - NORMALLY.

I just discovered a bug in Kunena 1.7.0 with Joomla! 1.7.1: it throws a 500 Error if you are subscribed to a category, select in the admin panel to auto tick the subscribe to this topic and then reply to a topic with that box ticked. BANG! 500 Internal Server Error. But it still posts the reply.

But back on topic. The truth is, most of the products I have subscribed to really suck badly and most are from India. The only exception that comes to mind is my subscription to JCE Editor. That is a very good editor with some really good modules and plugins.

I spent over $200 for Jomwall and it just sucked on all levels - Especially for support. They are lucky I am not in India.

I spent nearly $70 for Jbolo and it sucks really bad too. I called India to get help with it in fact. It seems to be written by some kid that lives with his parents. His mom said, "He is in his bedroom sleeping, I will get him." Dogs were barking in the background, his mom was screaming in her native language and all I could think was "Good Grief What Have I Done."

I would like to see the GPL changed to read - if you offer GNU GPL software you can only charge for support - not the software. Otherwise you are held hostage and people spend money on a scam. You never get good support, you will never get your money back and no one cares.

In most cases we are paying top dollar for a couple pages of dysfunctional code. Kunena is a rarity because it is such a large and intricate package. Unfortunately as soon as you put a price tag on it everyone will jump ship and move to PhpBB or some other free package.For the record I think your product is superior to even Vbulletin (Which costs a pile of cash and sucks on the Admin side).

I would like to be involved in your 2.0 Beta and will be more than happy to lend any resources at my disposal to assist with testing.

More
12 years 6 months ago #8 by Matias
I believe that 500 Error was already fixed (your bug report in github), so I'll just make some comments regarding this topic..

In my opinion JomSocial API is much better than in most Joomla software -- at least they have an API. For example API in Kunena 1.7 is very basic and limiting. I'm happy to say that this will change in 2.0, where we have pretty good framework that is used also by Kunena itself.

In general -- let's not blame other products in our site as probably our software is as bad as the others are -- for some users. All software has bugs and some of them are really hard to track down, especially if they cannot be reproduced by anyone in our team.

You can also sell GPL software -- you just need to give source code to everyone who buys it and you grand them permission to do whatever they want to do with it (well, almost).

Kunena will always remain free and open, but there might be some paid templates, add-ons or plugins offered from the team for those users who need more than the normal features. Selling just support is too much work for too little money, so there must be something else to offer, too. Otherwise we'd just use all our time by supporting the product and the product itself doesn't evolve.

PS. You can apply to our testers team (JomSocial group).

Time to create page: 0.380 seconds