Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This category is for K 1.7 issues only.

Question Unable to upgrade 1.6.3 to 1.6.5

More
12 years 8 months ago #1 by kiwi3685
For the first time in 18 months of regular upgrades my site won't let me upgrade Kunena (from 1.6.3 to 1.6.5) It gives this error:
JFTP::mkdir: Bad response
JFTP::chmod: Bad response
Unable to create destination

Then on next attempt:
Warning! Failed to move file.
JFolder::create: Could not create directory
Unable to create destination

I've looked on these forums, and not surprisingly most suggestions seem to be about getting correct permissions. So I'v changed the /components /com_kunena folder and all contents to 777 (though I'm sure I shouldn't need to), but still no luck. What permissions are likely to make a difference?

I also checked that FTP is NOT enabled in Joomla, another suggestion I found here.

Any other suggestions I missed? Should I need to upgrade to 1.6.4 first, and if so, where do I get 1.6.4?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #2 by xillibit
Hello,

Check the permissions of the followings directories :

/tmp
/administrator/components
/components/
/media/kunena

You can directly upgrade to k1.6.5, this doc should help you : docs.kunena.org/index.php/K_1.6_Upgrade_Guide

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #3 by kiwi3685
Managed to get a little further today, but still fails. I set all those directories and contents to 777 (excessive I know, but I was desperate). I also tried to install from uploaded directory instead of from URL (not able to do that) or upload/install.

This all got me a little further, as shown here:

At that point I had to revert to 1.6.3. In doing so it highlighted a problem with permissions on the /administrator/components/com_kunena/archive folder. That seems to fit with the failure to copy languages shown in the results image. It looks like I need to talk to my web host about that, as it appears to be an ownership, rather than permissions problem - unless you have any other suggestions?
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by kiwi3685.

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #4 by sozzled
Joomla article What are the recommended file and directory permissions? broadly explains the issue. In other words, all folders in your Joomla site should be set with the permission level 755 and you should not exceed that recommendation. Likewise, unless you have specific exclusions, all files in your Joomla site should be set with the permission level 644 which is the recommended value. To make this work properly, the folders and files themselves need to be owned by Apache:Apache. If this is not the case, you should talk to your webhosting provider to fix the situation.

There may also be some "peculiarities" depending on the version of PHP used in your hosted web environment.
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 8 months ago #5 by kiwi3685
Thanks sozzled, That's pretty much as I would expect. I am talking to our web host about it.

But are you sure you're right about needing ownership at Apache:Apache? That's what the language files/folders all have, and they are exactly the ones that are causing the problem; and I can't change their permissions because of that ownership.

All other folders are under my ownership, NOT Apache.

More
12 years 8 months ago #6 by sozzled

kiwi3685 wrote: All other folders are under my ownership, NOT Apache.

I'm being guided from what I've read elsewhere on the forum. This has not been a problem for me personally. The advice that I've seen on this forum is that all folders/files should be owned by Apache:Apache. That's all that I know.

More
12 years 8 months ago #7 by Matias
Looks like you also have wrong permissions in:

/administrator/language/*
/language/*

Unfortunately Kunena isn't able to give better error messages because of limitations in Joomla 1.5 libraries.

More
12 years 8 months ago #8 by kiwi3685
Thanks Matias.

It wasn't just languages. We also needed to change ownership and permissions for the /plugins/* folders.

What has me really puzzled is why it caused a problem at all. I've been upgrading smoothly every upgrade for 18 months now, and never before had a problem.

We're pretty sure nothing on the server changed, so has something changed in the kunena installer, or are there files/folders affected by 1.6.5 that were never touched in earlier upgrades?

More
12 years 8 months ago #9 by Matias
The issues were in your installation -- you just cannot install anything into Joomla if the permissions are not OK. Kunena installer hasn't changed at all from K1.6.3.

Time to create page: 0.661 seconds